• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 4-10 Motorsport

Urgent Help Required!

Guest 4-10 Motorsport

Hi,

I have done something rather foolish! Whilst changing my spark plugs, I dropped my ratchet and it fell between the battery and front panel, lots of sparks, bit of panic...I'm sure you can picture it! Anyway, I now have a list of things that have stopped working as a result:

- Fuel gauge

- Oil pressure gauge

- Temperature gauge

- Indicators (although oddly the hazard lights still work)

- Heater fan

- Dash lights

The engine still starts and runs fine, the headlights are good, the rev counter is working fine.

I have checked all the fuses I can find and none seem to be blown, which leads me to think that it is possibly a blown relay. I haven't got a clue which relay does what, and the Haynes manual is about as useful as ever when it comes to trying to find out!

Please can someone help me, as I'm planning on taking the car out tomorrow for its 1st run in around 6 months.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest 4-10 Motorsport

Forgot to mention that the wipers don't work now either! Not much fun in weather like this!

Craigb
Hi,

I have done something rather foolish! Whilst changing my spark plugs, I dropped my ratchet and it fell between the battery and front panel, lots of sparks, bit of panic...I'm sure you can picture it! Anyway, I now have a list of things that have stopped working as a result:

- Fuel gauge

- Oil pressure gauge

- Temperature gauge

- Indicators (although oddly the hazard lights still work)

- Heater fan

- Dash lights

The engine still starts and runs fine, the headlights are good, the rev counter is working fine.

I have checked all the fuses I can find and none seem to be blown, which leads me to think that it is possibly a blown relay. I haven't got a clue which relay does what, and the Haynes manual is about as useful as ever when it comes to trying to find out!

Please can someone help me, as I'm planning on taking the car out tomorrow for its 1st run in around 6 months.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The second fuse from the left of the fuse board covers most of the items you describe above it should be a 25 amp one .

the indicator relay is the fourth from the left if you have no joy with the fuse

Craigb

If your wipers arent working , check that you also have brake lights as well , they are off the same fuse.

Guest 4-10 Motorsport

Thanks.

I have tried changing that fuse with a 30A one for the electric windows (I couldn't find anything else!), but still no joy. Can you buy relays new, or am I going to have to hunt round scrap yards?

Tom Fenton

If I am correct, there are a couple of fuses in the power distribution block, mounted on the front panel, it is a black box, you can open clips and the top hinges up, I'm sure there are some fuses in there as well as the fuse box inside the car above the glovebox. Hope that helps you.

Guest 4-10 Motorsport

Thanks for the advice, I've tried all the fuses and relays with no luck. I've spoken to an auto-electrician and it seems that I may have melted a wire somewhere. I think this may be a job for the garage, not me.

Note to self: DO NOT SHORT THE BATTERY ON THE FRONT PANEL!!

large

What voltage have you got across the battery? Tom is not on about the fuses that are on the bord in the glove box mind and how long was the battery shorting for and did you see any smoke as this may tell you where a cable melted.

Sign in to follow this