• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McPikie

Slick Tyres For The Track?

McPikie

OK, as we know, slicks provide most grip in the dry

But can a set of used, bald tyres be used as slicks, or are they just worthless?

Batfink

no - bin them, other than your tyres will be dangerously thin, the actual compound is not really ideal. You may get better grip due to increased surface area but slicks have much stiffer sidewalls to cope with the increased forces..

C_W

It depends on the tyre and the weather; if it's quite cold you'll probably have less grip than a tyre with tread but on a hot summer's day they may resist overheating/going off.

I've always used worn tyres at trackdays (from 2mm down to nothing). Some old bridgestone S02s were fantastic even down to lookalike slicks, but some would make the car skittish and as said above, when the tread wears smooth there isn't always a great deal of rubber left before the canvas appears.

Miles

With Slicks you need a completly different suspension set up compared to road tyres so not worth the extra outlay, If your going to get something the 048R's are the best which are OK on std suspension but a different set up again will get the mostfrom them

McPikie

So R888's are no good for a 205 on springs and a lowered beam?

Miles

They wil lbe better than road tyres, But to make full use you need thing's like higer rate springs, Negitive camber and different ARB's, The set up is very different

kate205gti

are there any general rules with regards to suspension setup? im aiming to run some scrubbed out F1s at most trackdays like llandow and combe session, but use the paradas with a fair bit of tread for nurburgring - do i need to alter my setup for this?

Miles

Depends on how won 'scrubbed out is' past the wear indicators or with about 1mm of thread they go off to quickly, When racing on road tyres we used to get them buffed down to around 3>4mm and used them for a hr or 2 before they where scrap but the main problem is heat, after 15 mins most have gone off leaving you with no grip, I know the Yoko's (510's and 539's) last about 10 min's, Toyo's did better at around 12 mins (T1R and S) and that with 125 bhp

But too much tread moves around allot and then you get scrubbing so it's a fine line really

Sign in to follow this