• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sussex_gti

Bx 16v Engine Removal

sussex_gti

What do people find easiest? need to know soon, as im taking mine out in about an hour! I'm thinking letting the enine down on to some tyres. As soon as someone answers, feel free to delete the thread!

Cheers, Chris.

Alastairh

Easier to take it out the top if you have a hoist :P

ORB

Yes, I took the last one out from above.

The one before, I cut it out with a big petrol grinder :P

That was cool

pug_ham

Its a case of six & two threes imo.

If you have use of a hoist & load leveller you can take the engine & box out from above easily but if not dropping it out of the bottom like you say onto tyres is simple enough as one assembly if you remove the subframe.

I've done them both ways & there is very little difference in difficulty or time either way.

Graham.

whizzer71

Out the bottom m8,remove front bumper rad assy etc,o/s/f wing,driveshafts and all the related high pressure pipes etc,make sure you undo the pressure relief valve on the hydraulic accumalator to avoid any nasty injuries.

Fold the two metal pipes that run from under neath along the bottom of the bell housing backwards once you have undone them from the accumalator,remove all the related pipework to the LHM tank and pump etc ,disconnect services (wiring,coolant pipes,exhaust fuel lines,gearlinks,clutch cable etc)support engine from underneath and undo mounts lower out bottom of car !

Tris .

sussex_gti

Cheers guys. Tris, im sure you spend 99% of your time on here! Am going to drop it out from the bottom, nearly there. Im doing at work so using a 2 poster lift. Tris, why do i need to take the wing off?

Banjo

Thats where the wiring loom runs on a bx :P

sussex_gti

Ahh, gotcha. I'll be taking that off then! Cheers guys.

whizzer71
Cheers guys. Tris, im sure you spend 99% of your time on here! Am going to drop it out from the bottom, nearly there. Im doing at work so using a 2 poster lift. Tris, why do i need to take the wing off?

:rolleyes: Yeah dont you know it !

:P

Phil H

My votes is get the angle grinder , whip off the slam panel and the metal at the bottom and take it out of the front.

sussex_gti

All out, had to remove the inlet manifold, but this is coming off anyway before the engine goes in the gti. a quick wiggle and out she came from the bottom. The joys of a 2 poster ramp! Cheers all.

Sign in to follow this