• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tillingsp

1.9 Gti Timing Belt Change

Guest tillingsp

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum. I have had a search through but forgive any repetition...

I took the bold step of deciding to change the timing belt on my 1.9Gti (Not had it long - love it!). I bought the tool for locking the flywheel (makes life much easier) and finally got down to taking off the crank pulley. Undid the bold but the thing won't budge. Am I missing something? I know there is a woodruff key inside but I wasn't aware it prevents the thing coming off. Is it just a case of brute force or are there any recommended techniques for removing the offending pulley. I had thought of a gear puller but the hole in the middle makes that a bit difficult...

Would appreciate any advice forthcoming

Simon.

welshpug

use a puller, put the bolt back in, just dont wind it up tight :ph34r:

djinuk

do you have to use a puller, i have this task tomorrow most likely, is there any other crude method of getting it of.

also am i correct in saying to get the timing correct you put 1 10 mil in the pulley im taking of at the min and let it sit in the slot for it at about 12:00

and then one in the cam pulley at about 7:00

M@tt

wouldn't say you definately need a puller, you could try getting something behind it (long screwdriver) to help pry it off. Also you could try a hammer or rubber mallet to help shock it off

Guest tillingsp
do you have to use a puller, i have this task tomorrow most likely, is there any other crude method of getting it of.

also am i correct in saying to get the timing correct you put 1 10 mil in the pulley im taking of at the min and let it sit in the slot for it at about 12:00

and then one in the cam pulley at about 7:00

You're correct about the settings and I think a puller is probably the best way to get it off, will have to buy one tomorrow. Don't leave the pin/drill bit in (in case you forget I like I did!) and I would highly recommend the flywheel locking tool (can get them on ebay cheaper). You will need to remove the metal water pipe to fit the crank pulley pin.

simonb

Simple but crude method:

Place a 22mm spanner on the crank bolt and crank the engine over a couple of times with the coil lead unplugged. You will hear a bang which will be the bolt coming loose as the spanner hits the bottom of the wishbone.

As for getting the pulley off the shaft - plenty of WD40 and 2 large flathead screwdrivers at both sides of the pulley to help lever it off - keep going with it and it will come off eventually.

HTH

Edited by simonb

djinuk

if you crack the engine over though it will disturb the wet liners ? and surely thats only how to get the bolt out not how to get the pulley off ?

simonb

Won't disturb the wet liners as the head holds these in place...

djinuk

ah, i my head is already off as im doing the head gasket, sorry i wasnt thinking straight, if the head is off, whats the best way of getting the bolt undone without cranking the engine over as i dont want to disturb the liners . Can anybody point me to the correct flywheel locking tool. i know i should of undone this really when the head was on ..

Tom Fenton

Be very careful if using the hammer screwdrivers method, it is very easy to take chunks out of the edge of the pulley. You can buy a puller really quite cheaply and is a useful thing to have.

Super Josh

£7.50 P&P, are you mad :) Surely you could buy one from a local motor factor and save some cash?

Josh

Sloppy

thtas for dervs aint it?

just lock it with a drill?

also its easy to get the pulley off with a very basic pulley but ive found they generally come off ok.

welshpug

fits any XU that tool, damn steep that postage though!

pug_ham
Be very careful if using the hammer screwdrivers method, it is very easy to take chunks out of the edge of the pulley. You can buy a puller really quite cheaply and is a useful thing to have.

Even using a puller if the pulley is tight on the crank you still risk breaking a chunk off the inner edge of the pulley but a quick dressing with a needle file brings it all back to health for use again.

just lock it with a drill?

You can't lock the pulley with a drill to undo the bolt, you'll just snap the tab off the crank seal plate. I use a flywheel lock like the one linked to but I think I paid less than £7.50 for the lock & delivery when I bought mine.

Graham.

djinuk

got the tool,. but i poped dwn and picked it up :wacko:

Guest tillingsp
well ive just phoned up and ordered

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TA445-Flywheel-Locki...ksid=p1638.m118

one of them,

im guessing that bolts on where the starter motor goes, am i correct ?

Just unscrew the three bolts on the crescent shape cover on the bottom of the bell-housing (do they still call it that?) It is situated to towards the left front wheel from the starter motor, right at the bottom of the housing, and you can use one of those bolts. It's easy when you see it. I did however decide to use a longer bolt instead of the same thread (M8 or 10 I think) as the others are really too short. However they screw into a blind hole so will have to cut suitable bolt to length or use packing washers.

pug_ham
Just unscrew the three bolts on the crescent shape cover on the bottom of the bell-housing (do they still call it that?) It is situated to towards the left front wheel from the starter motor, right at the bottom of the housing, and you can use one of those bolts. It's easy when you see it. I did however decide to use a longer bolt instead of the same thread (M8 or 10 I think) as the others are really too short. However they screw into a blind hole so will have to cut suitable bolt to length or use packing washers.

The bolt thread is M6 & I use the one at the back of the gearbox nerarest the block the holes in the gearbox aren't blind so the bolt can thread right through.

Graham.

djinuk

right of done it, i whizzed of the starter motor, then bolted it back on but with the tool placed between the starter motor and the gaerbox, worked a treat

mossy

I bought an electric (12 volt) torque gun from woolworths a few years ago. I paid 12 quid for it half price!!! This has been a great asset as it will undo wheel nuts, top nuts on struts and crank pullies with out having to lock the engine. I have used this many times on different cars and would be lost with out it. Don't know if they still sell them. Just I though for any DIYers out there.

Rob Thomson

I need to lock my crank, but the engine's on its stand in the garage with no gearbox. Anyone know whether that tool still works if it's bolted to the block rather than the box?

Thanks.

M@tt

can you get anyone to lend a hand?

if they can get a large flat blade screwdriver between the teeth on the flywheel and the engine block it should hold it sufficiently whilst you undo/tigthent he crank bolt.

I managed to convince my missus to do that once and she's usually a complete mong when it comes to those sort of things, so even a womans help may be of some use :)

Edited by M@tt

Project205

Hi,

I have sourced a flywheel lock now, thanks to the above advice but can see the need for a pulley puller. These pullers seam to be rather pricey for something I am only going to use once! Anyone got one for sale? Second hand is good for me, ebay seams to be full of new pullers at £45-80 a go!

Maybe I am just being tight!

Thanks,

David

Pob
Hi,

I have sourced a flywheel lock now, thanks to the above advice but can see the need for a pulley puller. These pullers seam to be rather pricey for something I am only going to use once! Anyone got one for sale? Second hand is good for me, ebay seams to be full of new pullers at £45-80 a go!

Maybe I am just being tight!

Thanks,

David

Have you tried Machine mart? You can get one for £18

Dan

Edited by Pob

Sign in to follow this