• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Mi Carb Ignition Wireing (again!)

matt-k

Hi again, i had some excellent help yesturday after asking how to wire up my ignition for my carbs with a made up loom i got of someone. Although i now know how to do this can someone explain why i cant just use the original 8v set up and just plug in a 1.9 amplifier to the loom?

Thanks, Matt.

boldy205

cant see why you need to use a 1.9 amp, cant you just use all 1.6 parts?? or am i not quite getting it?? :ph34r:

matt-k
cant see why you need to use a 1.9 amp, cant you just use all 1.6 parts?? or am i not quite getting it?? :ph34r:

No idea! It just says on the home page 'use a 1.9 ignition amplifier'. im just gonna plug it in and see what happens!

I just dont see why i cant use the standard 8v ignition? Ive done away with the injector plugs on the loom as the carbs are taking care of fueling so all i need is power to the distributor right? The dizzy had power on the 8v so why not on the Mi with dizzy adapter? I know i need mapped ignition for the best results but i cant see why i have to wire in a new ignition loom?

Anyone?

Cheers, Matt.

Miles

You can mod the std loom, well just remove all of the injectiono parts and keep the Coil and Amp wiring, Easy as that

ORB
You can mod the std loom, well just remove all of the injectiono parts and keep the Coil and Amp wiring, Easy as that

Thats what ORB did.

Although, I am not sure what kind of amp I have as i have a few in a box and just put one in. Should I be using a 1.9???

How does one I.D them?

matt-k

Thanks Miles, Ill give that a go then, Can i still unplug the ECU doing it that way or is it somehow connected to the ignition?

Not sure how to id them, i took mine from a 1.9 in a scrappy and i cant compare it to the 1.6 one i have as its melted from a small engine fire! They also say you should use a 1.9 coil on the home page articles but apparently thats not true either. :wacko:

Thanks< Matt

Anthony

1.6 and 1.9 amps/coils of the same era are identical

Miles

Remove all of the ECU stuff, The Amp and coil is from the switched lived from the brown plug by the steering coloum

A MTR 01 amp is all you need, Used on the 1.6, 1.9 8 & 16v's

BossHogg

So in theory as my 1.9 has already been converted to run on carbs, eg it's already had the ecu removed, coil fitted and i have a dizzy and adapter fitted to my 1.9 lump. If i fitted a MI16 engine in theory the engine would run if i fitted the distributer with the adapter plate? All be it not as efficiently as if it was on an injection system.

welshpug

yup :wub:

BossHogg
yup :wub:

Ta Welshpug, right someone sell me an engine, and not that tat you've been hiding under the counter for years. :lol:

Ps Sorry matt-K for hijacking your thread.

matt-k

No problem, you can buy my engine for 2 grand! :wacko:

BossHogg
No problem, you can buy my engine for 2 grand! :blink:

I would have to sell a body part at the moment, and as my body is completely wrecked from rugby i would have to sell a lot of it :)

sammyh
Ta Welshpug, right someone sell me an engine, and not that tat you've been hiding under the counter for years. :D

Ps Sorry matt-K for hijacking your thread.

How many do you want? :blush:

Back on topic (sort of) what coil should you use?

Sign in to follow this