• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Mi On Carbs. Wireing Help!

matt-k

Ok folks ive had a look at the main page and done a search on this but im still lost on the electrics! :o I really dont want to pay someone to come round and sort it as im skint after xmas!

I was hoping to remove most of the left 1.6 loom to tidy up the bay but notice that the oil pressure sendor wires and thermostate wires are on this & there is also one which plugs into the black box near the N/S headlight. Are these needed?

When i bought the carb manifold of ebay the guy sent me a carb wiring loom which is pictured below if someone could tell me what wires go where i would be eternally gratefull. I looked at the diagram on the home page but it doesnt seem to tally with my loom :)

Thanks for any help given, Matt.

Pic 1

post-9384-1199099336_thumb.jpg

Pic 2

post-9384-1199099358_thumb.jpg

Pic 3

post-9384-1199099377_thumb.jpg

boldy205

Hmmm, why have you cut all of that out??!! What ignition are you using? Standard 8v? If so you will need all of the ignition wiring loom in your car. Oh yea, wernt you going to put it Megajolt? Getting mine RRd in a week, will let you know the results.

Edited by boldy205

matt-k
Hmmm, why have you cut all of that out??!! What ignition are you using? Standard 8v? If so you will need all of the ignition wiring loom in your car. Oh yea, wernt you going to put it Megajolt? Getting mine RRd in a week, will let you know the results.

Yes i am planning on a megajolt set up but i want to make sure the engine will run ok before i spend any more cash and it would be nice to see the performance differences too, also I did a complete rebuild on the engine myself and in theory it should be A1 but i dont want count all my chickens, if u get my drift.

Also what you see in the pictures is'nt what ive cut out, its what someone sent to me when i bought my carb set up. My loom is still complete and on the car. I think what the wires in the picture are for is to fit the coil to the dizzy, there just seems to be alot of wires for the job. I hate wires......

Cheers, Matt.

matt-k

Am i just complicating things here! Is there any reason why i cant just connect the 8v loom up to the mi engine in exactly the same way it was on the 8v? just leaving off the injector, throttle position and AFM plugs. Surly that would get it running?

Cheers, Matt.

Daz_C

You don't need that relay bit of the loom. Whats that for anyway ? You just need the loom in Pic 1 I'm pretty certain.

The pic on the main site is correct so if you can work off that you can't go far wrong ! Its pretty easy to do even for a novice so just take your time with it and you'll sort it.

clifton

hi mate abit off topic but im going to be puttin my mi16 onto twin 40's soon...just wondering if your are using standard chokes or if you have changed them to 36 mm ones or anything...and ill be interested to know what kind of power you get with the twin 40's

ben

matt-k
hi mate abit off topic but im going to be puttin my mi16 onto twin 40's soon...just wondering if your are using standard chokes or if you have changed them to 36 mm ones or anything...and ill be interested to know what kind of power you get with the twin 40's

ben

Hi ben, My carbs already had 36mm chokes when i got them and i would definately change yours to 36s too, Many people have comented that 40's are to small for an Mi but they are the same as using 45s with a 36mm choke and 40s are cheaper to buy too! Ill let you know the results when i get it going.

Cheers, Matt.

jonnie205

pull the entire loom from your car and strip all the wires out except coil and ignition amp ones, this will then run the ignition. have you a dizzy adaptor to mount dizzy to engine?

M_R_205

To get the engine running all you hyave to do is connect the 8v dizzy up and connect the wires as shown below

wiringupcarbs.jpg

I think what the bloke has done to yours is fitted a relay to the live so you can switch it on and off maualy (like what i did,)

Hope this helps

Paul

matt-k

Brilliant! Thank you.

The red wire you say must go to the battery through a relay with a switched live must be the relay in Pic 3 of my loom! Coming off the relay are 3 wires RED, YELLOW/green and a small yelow one. Could you tell me where exactly i need to connect these too.

Ill have a guess! The red one to a switched live (where do i find that then?) yellow to the gearbox earth or body and the small one i have no idea, cut it off!!

Anyone?

Thanks, Matt

M_R_205
Brilliant! Thank you.

The red wire you say must go to the battery through a relay with a switched live must be the relay in Pic 3 of my loom! Coming off the relay are 3 wires RED, YELLOW/green and a small yelow one. Could you tell me where exactly i need to connect these too.

Ill have a guess! The red one to a switched live (where do i find that then?) yellow to the gearbox earth or body and the small one i have no idea, cut it off!!

Anyone?

Thanks, Matt

yea by the look of it the big red one goes to a live (i connected ine to the batery) the yellow and green goes to earth (anywhere on the body) and the other small yellow one goes to a switch, then a live (somewhere inside the car so you can turn the ignition on B) )

Edited by M_R_205

matt-k

Thank you very much. Ill get on with that tomorrow then. Just realised i got my orange indicators of you! I gave them a good clean and there now perfect thanks!

Matt.

Sign in to follow this