• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest WillR

Petrol Everywhere!

Guest WillR

Popped out to Esso and filled her up, paid, came back and noticed a big leak! Petrol all over the forecourt and literally pouring off the bottom of the tank. :)

Called the AA and they recon the seals have perished at the top of the tank and the petrol was leaking over/out of them and running around the sides onto the road.

Eventually dried up so I drove it home :lol: - any ideas what to do next?

Cheers

Will

All Praise The GTI

just a thought, is it 'slammed?' when i bought my 1.9 this happened, the wheel had worn through the filler neck in the arch ....leaky leaky!

if so unlucky, it took me ages to remove one cutting here and there on a scrap 205. thought it would be a nightmare to fit so i used fibreglass in the end

welshpug

filler neck is less than £20 from peugeot :)

Sandy

Reminds me. I filled my car up and when I opened the door it all came back out! (Vic Reeves circa 1995)

Guest WillR
just a thought, is it 'slammed?' when i bought my 1.9 this happened, the wheel had worn through the filler neck in the arch ....leaky leaky!

if so unlucky, it took me ages to remove one cutting here and there on a scrap 205. thought it would be a nightmare to fit so i used fibreglass in the end

Woah sounds bad! I think in my case the filler pipe is OK there isn't an obvious leak from the wheelarch area and looked OK when I eyeballed it earlier. I think it is more from the tank/top of tank area.

danpug

If you jack the car up on the drivers side you will be able to see if you have a hole in the fuel pipe. On lowered cars i've seen this happen several times now and if you have heard a scrub from the rear a few times i'd put money on this being your problem.

ORB

fill it up, light a match under the car, and watch where the flame goes.

Actually, dont do this.

boombang

If it's not the neck, could be the "filler joint" pipe. Is the flexible hose between the neck and the tank itself.

Part no 150584 £7.33 from Peugeot.

It's only fuel hose, but might be a hard to get diameter hence easier to get from Peugeot.

Alternatively could be the filler return that goes back up the neck (157744 £10.70 - "degassing pipe").

Best bet is get it up in the air and check it all over fully. You can check if the fuel pump seals are bad from inside the car, under rear seats (and you probably have a seriously strong smell of fuel in the car!).

CaptainK

When I first bought my 205 from a garage about 6 years ago, it had virtually no fuel in the tank when I picked it up - typical tight garage and so forth. Filled it up (Esso garage as well :o ) and it also spilled all over the floor. It turned out that the fuel filler neck had a hole in it. So I went back and had a FUME ( :) ) at the garage that sold it to me.

Edited by CaptainK

Guest WillR

Thanks all!

It does smell of petrol inside and has for a while, so I think first port of call is the seals under the rear seats. Are these hard to replace? I'm guessing that whilst the tank is still more or less full it is not a good idea to start pulling apart the top of the tank. Does the car have a siphon trap? Or should I just drive around for a while and run it down :)

Will.

Pugnut

surely just lifting the rear seats and popping out the plastic floor pugs and having a look will tell you if its the pump/gauge seals :)

CaptainK
Or should I just drive around for a while and run it down B)

This is what I was told to do. As I had filled the tank up, they needed it lightened before lowering the tank to replace the filler neck. So I drove around for a bit. Quite fun really. :blush:

EnforcerMike

g'day

i had the same issue with my 205. went to fill up, and ended spending more on fuel for the floor then the tank.

what i found the issue to be, was that the breather hose had come off the top of the tank, which in turn was poring the fuel out of the tank.

i too had a smell of fuel around the car, weither the windows were up or down.

have a good one.

mike

Guest eddie 309

what a nightmare em dnt matter if the tanks full or not not sure never done seals on the top but under the seat theres usually a round pannel couple o screws holding it down then ul see if its leaking there if so theres usually a large threaded collar around the sender/lift pump unit undo that the sender l come out and there will be a seal around it

Sign in to follow this