• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sutol

1.9 Front Strut

sutol

Does anyone know how much clearance there is between the front tyre and the bottom spring carrier on a standard 1.9 GTI ?

Mine are off at the mo

Ta post-9302-1198364947.gif

sutol

post-9302-1198438597.gif

I'll put it another way...What are the largest wheels that would go on forgetting the turning problem?

i.e. could I fit wheels which stood 1" taller than standard when stood side by side ?

Why? ....because I've been thinking post-9302-1198438781.gif and I have an idea

welshpug

you wouldnt need to worry one bit if you put larger wheels with the correct size tyre.

i.e if you go for 17"s you'd more than likely use a 205 40 tyre.

or for 16's 195 45 IIRC.

WHY??!

sutol
WHY??!

I was thinking why can't I lower the front suspension half an inch by clamping the strut further up. i would have to grind and weld a bit post-9302-1198442550.gifbut why can't it be done... there must be an obvious reason that I am missingpost-9302-1198442528.gif

welshpug

yeah, check the clearance to the CV joint....

sutol
yeah, check the clearance to the CV joint....

could always cut the bottom off the strut and weld a base back in. I was thinking that it would be the easiest way to lower the car a bit and the spring rates would be the same, so why don't more people do it rather than fiddling with springs and shocks ?

I recon half an inch would do it ;) could even make them adjustable :D

welshpug

cos the strut piston would punch a hole in the bottom.

tom_m
could always cut the bottom off the strut and weld a base back in. I was thinking that it would be the easiest way to lower the car a bit and the spring rates would be the same, so why don't more people do it rather than fiddling with springs and shocks ?

I recon half an inch would do it ;) could even make them adjustable :D

some do, you'll find some manufacturers make specifically shorter dampers for lowering cars. bilstein for example.

sutol
cos the strut piston would punch a hole in the bottom.

post-9302-1198444251.gif I Knew there was a catch....but post-9302-1198444327.gif I'm not beaten yet, I'll check to see if we have any lee way in that area and what the tolerances are.

It was an idea for my budget track car next summer so we will see. Thanks for the input ;)

sutol
some do, you'll find some manufacturers make specifically shorter dampers for lowering cars. bilstein for example.

Trouble is my budget is almost zero and I will have to work with what I have in the garage so purpose built stuff is out. Very nice but out. :(

welshpug

leave it as it is, spend the saved time on track :(

sutol

Good idea but someone has lowered the rear by about half an inch so need to level it up on the cheap. Could weld some new top mounts in half an inch higher :(

welshpug

raise the back, cheaper than messing with the front :(

tom_m
Good idea but someone has lowered the rear by about half an inch so need to level it up on the cheap. Could weld some new top mounts in half an inch higher :(

just hit a few big bumps hard ;) the strut tops will deform nicely if you hit them hard enough :o

nick

If you are going to the trouble of cutting up a damper, why not fit the diy coilover kit?

Springs are dirt cheap and you have the adjustable ride height that you want.

Nick

Jrod

Or a set of lowering springs costs peanuts.

sutol
Or a set of lowering springs costs peanuts.

Right, I've had a word with the wife and she said that it it quite possible that Santa could bring a set of lowering springs if the price was right.

Well I've sourced some at trade with a little discount as it was very quiet and they wanted to go home rather than argue the toss about prices at 3.0 clock on christmas eve :)

So the front is going down and I'll save the experimenting for the next 205 budget track car in summer.

Thanks all and a merry christmas post-9302-1198530850.gif

snillet

About the piston going through the strut, the pistons aren´t usually in a very hard material at all, i´ve cut mine down 45mm and rethreaded them :lol:, to get less upward movement on the inside wheel when cornering hard.

I not NOT recommend that for gravel though :):P

Sign in to follow this