• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[engine_work] New Project: V6 205

M@tt

I love a bargain and when i saw Dennis' post the other day for a complete V6 engine with ecu, loom and gearbox for £245 it was too good an opportunity to give up! Also the motherinlaw had given me £250 for christmas i think with the intention of us buying something nice for our new house but it was almost the exact same price as the engine, a coincidence?? hmmm it was a sign, that i must buy it! the missus is spending her on clothes so she wasn't bothered what i spent mine on :angry:

So today i had a trip up to Chorley which is the other side of manchester from me and not the easiest route but i set off in plenty of time to get ther for 4.30.

Not long however into the journey i could start to hear a faint blowing coming from the 106 exhaust, which got worse and worse, and before long i could only tickle the throttle otherwise the engine sounded like an O.C.C creation off American Chopper :unsure:

I eventually pulled in and found that one of the bolts holding the the middle section to the downpipe was missing and the pipe was just dangling down by the other loose bolt, effectively meaning i had no silencing. The guy behind the counter at the decorating shop i'd pulled in in front of kindly gave me some zip ties and i managed to put 4 zip ties through the holes to try and keep the exhaust in place. The cable ties managed to last the rest of the journey which was a relief unlike the other bolt which i heard fall off and bang under the car several times a short time later which must have been what i heard last week when the first bolt probbaly dropped off going over the meadowhall bridge on the M1 :wub:

Anyway the importantnt bit! got the engine loaded into the 106 without too much fuss, had to remove the gearbox and the top mount and luckily the lads i bought it off had access to a forklift so we could winch it in. Only intersting bit is trying to get it back out.!! ReturnOfJim is kindly lending me a hand tomorrow morning so fingers crossed it should all go smoothly. I've managed to acquire a scaffold plan to help lever it out as i don't have access to a engine crane

i've got so say it's MASSIVE!!! :D can't wait to get started on it :D

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

sutol

Get a scaffolding plank and stick one end under the engine.

Pull / wriggle the engine on to the plank.

Get someone to stand on the other end to raise the engine off the boot floor.

Slide / wriggle the engine down the plank and on to the floor. :unsure:

Job done...

Mind you it is BIG innit :angry:

Edited by sutol

danpug

Wish i had a v6 205. Good luck with it!

welshpug
:angry: I know someone who is putting one of those exactly there in a 106!!

Alastairh

Good lad! This was my second option to my T16 :angry:

Now which 205 is it going in?

Powers

Awesome. I am tempted to fit one into a Zx in the new year so this will make an excellent reference.

SamGTi

Wow, it IS big! Will be nice to see the project develop. I know what you mean about the route to Chorley - it's not the easiest!

M@tt

it will be going in this, i'm arranging to buy the rolling shell of a mate of ReturnOfJim's. Just need to sort funds in the new year

DSC00069.jpg

Miles

Keep it in the back of the 106, Now that would be intresting!!

welshpug

its quite interesting how close this engine is to the one mid mounted in the clio, I know that the Clio's manifolds will bolt straight onto the pug V6!

Edited by welshpug

Miles

if only there was space under the bonnet, I would do this on mine, But I;ve got a belt change coming up soon so I may see if anyone does some Cam's

Henry Yorke
it will be going in this, i'm arranging to buy the rolling shell of a mate of ReturnOfJim's. Just need to sort funds in the new year

DSC00069.jpg

That looks like me in there!

That was a slippery car at the back end!

Rippthrough

He builds one wee workshop and look what happens!

:angry:

v6Max

Tis the same engine as in the v6 Clio (well only very subtle differences). Standard manifolds are very restrictive but there's now plenty of development in that area coming out of the v6 community.

The other place they're are poor is the inlet plenum - not a very efficient design as can be seen by the transition from MK1 -> Mk2 which was about 30bhp and almost all down to a better inlet.

Plenty of people have started to tune these engines now so there's quite a lot of experience out there now. I've seen a twin turbo'd version crammed into the back of a 106 - made very impressive figures on an engine dyno so not based on "optimistic" transmission losses.

Should be an excellent project and the engine does have potential (seen 300bhp now on NA based on Motec)...

M@tt

so is it possible to bolt a mk2 inlet onto a mk1 block and free up some more ponies??

Rippthrough

Aw, look what we've got spare on the far bench Matt....

04-11-07_1303.jpg

M@tt

spare means free, right? :D

Rippthrough
spare means free, right? :)

If you can get past the dog you can have it, there's even a shiny Motec to match.

And a bit of chewed up steel tube which the dog's being playing with :D

Edited by Rippthrough

willxs
Aw, look what we've got spare on the far bench Matt....

04-11-07_1303.jpg

Now that would be something else! seeing those sticking out the bonnet of the 205! :D

v6Max
so is it possible to bolt a mk2 inlet onto a mk1 block and free up some more ponies??

Yes it is and it's quite a popular modification for Mk1 V6s. The Mk2 inlet is a much better design that flows fairly well and has a larger throttle body. Don't forget though I'm basing this on what I know can be done with the Renault version of this engine and although the 2 are basically exactly the same there are some subtle differences.

Exhausts are the same and there are some useful gains to be made there; the standard cats are restrictive and the manifolds them selves dont flow very well. Quick picture of example replacement manifold (only 1 side obviously):

manifoldWeb2.jpg

I've seen an ITB manifold developed by Yozzasport which is a nice bit of engineering but the engine is very tall already so you'd need a power "bulge" of obscene proportions to run one!

brumster

Good luck with it Matt ;-) one heck of a job you've taken on there, me suspects!

Paintguy

I can't believe I haven't seen this Matt! You're a nutter, but I mean that in a good way :D

Give me a shout if I can be of any help. I've been more or less housebound for the past 2 years, so I'm going a bit stir crazy :) and would welcome the chance to get back in the loop, and do a bit of 'mans stuff' again, rather than just change nappies! :wacko:

Alan_M

Sounds like hell of a project!

Did'nt realise that a V6 weighed about the same as a GTi6 lump though......Got me thinking now. Always thought a 306 V6 would be a real nice car.

I have a 'spare' 306 outside.....just need an engine :lol:

Anyways, goodluck with it!