• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest new2gti

Starting Problem

Guest new2gti
Yea a misfire could be quite a few things, start at the plugs and work back over

yea so haynes manual step by step lol thanks again

welshpug

is it a misfire or just a gentle waver in the idle? a misfire would be quite pronounced.

Edited by welshpug

Guest new2gti
is it a misfire or just a gentle waver in the idle? a misfire would be quite pronounced.

can you explain to me a little more what you mean please?

Is a gentle waver not so load

Guest new2gti

omg now it doesn't start again? I done nothing to it but tried to replace a hose coming from the k&n box to the oil filler cap. She cranks over now then nearly starts but then splutters and cuts out. Can someone try to explain to me in simple terms what the purpose of the air filter is and possibly the hose that i changed? It smells a little of petrol in the hose is this normal.

Edited by new2gti

richard

You have reconnected the AFM cable havent you?

Theres a cable whch goes to the blackbox, this should be inline between the K&N and throttle body.

Im sure there must be some people around the leicester area that could spend a couple of hours going over things with you.

Any takers?

Guest new2gti
You have reconnected the AFM cable havent you?

Theres a cable whch goes to the blackbox, this should be inline between the K&N and throttle body.

Im sure there must be some people around the leicester area that could spend a couple of hours going over things with you.

Any takers?

I connected everythig back that i took off. I could take the car to a garage and get them to look for me but then they will sort out the problems it has and i will learn nothing from it. I am reading up on the problems it has everyday and learning very fast. I got told it could be the jet in the carb blocked as it cranks over then sorta starts but cuts off straight the way

And yes anyone who lives in the leicester area is more than welcome to come and give me some pointers and help because i need it B)

but with the internet this forum and my haynes me ad my bay 205 should travel many miles together lol

Guest new2gti

Hi guys it has been a while i can get my car to start everytime now but i have to give it some gas as i turn the key and turn the engine over :D. Also i have to keep reving the car when its starts else it just cuts out. Anybody know what i should check to find out the problem. Could it be something to do with the fuel filter?? or could the timing be out if so how is this problem resolved thanks.

Edited by new2gti

timb1046
Hi guys it has been a while i can get my car to start everytime now but i have to give it some gas as i turn the key and turn the engine over :rolleyes:. Also i have to keep reving the car when its starts else it just cuts out. Anybody know what i should check to find out the problem. Could it be something to do with the fuel filter?? or could the timing be out if so how is this problem resolved thanks.

when i start mine i have to hold it at 2000rmp ish for a few seconds or it will cut out. i belive this maybe to do with the SAD? which i think is the bit that deals with cold starts. but as its no hassle to hold the gas on for a few secs im not too worried.

Guest new2gti

thanks timb, the car still will not tick over

when i turn the ignition on there is a strange hissing noise coming from the engine. I am more than 99% sure this is coming from the bosch 3.0 bar fuel pressure regulator could this affect the fact that it dont start all the time and also that the car wont stay ticking over. :)

richard

You should hear a slight whine noise when you first switch on the ignition. this is your fuel pump priming the fuel lines.

If you're getting this noise and you have a reading of 3bar on the fuel regulator look at the fuel filter. Its probably not been changed for sometime from your other posts in this thread.

if you need to hold the revs to keep the car running, then look at the advance/retard on the dizzy, the throttle switch, AFM and SAD.

And, lastly can you hold the rpm at say 1500rpm steady? if not ie the rev's keep dropping when holding the throttle open then you could also have an air leak.

so, to break it down.

Check pipework to SAD and diaphragm(sp?)

Check AFM is connected

Clean AFM with carb cleaner (remember to reconnect AFM lead!)

Check throttle switch (guide on website i believe)

Idle speed might be too low.

Mark the dizzy so you can re-align up

Replace fuel filter (double check your fitting of this, dont want a fire)

Good luck

Rob_the_Sparky

Hissing sound: is this when turning the key but engine not turning over? Sounds like the sound I get when the starter is playing up. This is not your problem from what you describe.

Having to hold it on throttle for 10s or so after start-up is normal and TBH I'm not sure why. Can't be right but a lot of them do it and I've yet to see a magic bullet for this. If I had my car wouldn't be doing it!

No tick-over could be the SAD but another common whoopsie is to not put back in the bolt that holds the oil filler in place. This leaves a hole in the inlet manifold (hence an air-leak) and causes a number of different symptoms on different cars, one of which is a lack of idle (often also makes the engine very rich). It isn't obvious so can cause much scratching of head... I know about this and have still done it myself!!!!

Sign in to follow this