• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

Wheelspin Only Ever On The Left Wheel

C_W
<cough> Shorter driveshaft anything to do with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FF_layout

The 205 effectively has equal length shafts as the longer right hand side is fixed in a housing with an intermediate bearing making the remaining moving length the same as the passenger side.

C_W
And it's the opposite with a LSD fitted, both wheels will turn the same way. A good check to do if you are buying a car and the seller claims it has an LSD :)

Josh

I know that this works for clutch pack type LSDs, but does that work for the Quaife Torsen-style Diff? My M Coupe had a clutch pack LSD on it and it span both wheels in the same direrction when it was raised in the air. But I've now fitted a Torsen LSD diff (lower ratio) and it acts like an open diff when both wheels are off the ground (which is what I've read of the Quaife which is a similar design I thought); it needs a small amount of traction on both wheels to work properly.

jackherer
The 205 effectively has equal length shafts as the longer right hand side is fixed in a housing with an intermediate bearing making the remaining moving length the same as the passenger side.

That fixes issues caused by different leverage due to the different length but I can't see it fixing issues caused by the whole shaft twisting. Not that I've ever heard of that being a cause of torque steer before. I think quotes from wikipedia with (citation needed) written after them need to be treated like any other random forum post.

pip470

Im really sorry to keep harping on, A diffs function is to allow the wheels to turn at different rates when conering, It has the unfortunate disadvatage that when one wheel slips or spins the other wheel has only the amount of torque not used by the spinning wheel. If like mentioned before one wheel is off the ground that wheel will spin and the other will remain stationary. When the diff is not being used is when you are going in a straight line, the diff is in effect acting as a locked diff, (its not locked but its acting as it is) ie both wheels are being driven equally, Therefore if you break traction with both wheels at the same time the diff doesnt know that it is stationary, as far as the diff is concerened it is accelerating in a straight line. Yes i think theres lots of factors affecting why the left spins more easily which have been covered Where I think the confusion is on the track when a car when will only ever light up one tyre usually the inside as the diff is actually working by turning the inside wheel less than the outside. The outside wheel has most of the weight on it therefore has the most grip so will not spin. If the inside wheel is spinning, On this diff arrangement it will only have the amount of torque not being used by the spinning wheel. Thats where the slip difs come in and actually put the torque to the wheel that is not spinning which also aids to stop the spinning wheel to stop spinning and gain valuble traction.

Edited by pip470

C_W
That fixes issues caused by different leverage due to the different length but I can't see it fixing issues caused by the whole shaft twisting. Not that I've ever heard of that being a cause of torque steer before. I think quotes from wikipedia with (citation needed) written after them need to be treated like any other random forum post.

I foudn these bits on the web;

"INTERMEDIATE SHAFT

The short extension that connects the halfshaft on the "short" side of the transaxle to the differential gears. An intermediate shaft is necessary in some applications where equal length halfshaft are used (equal length shafts help reduce torque steer). The outboard end of the shaft is supported by a bearing and bracket. The inboard end may slip directly into the transaxle or it may be connected by a universal joint to a stubshaft

As many of you already know, the USDM Accord equipped with the A20AX engine came with axles of 2 different length. The left side axle is almost 2 times longer than the right side axle. This is because the transmission is placed on the right side of the car. That kind of setup is not bad but not ideal for higher performance engines like the B20A. The way to get rid of torque is to use an intermediate shaft and equal length axles. Honda used that kind of setup on the B20A. This shaft is blaced between the transmission and the driveshaft itslef making it virtually an extension of the transmission."

Daxed
Jack the front of the car up in the air and drive it and both road wheels turn.

After Anthony popped a replacement engine into my 205 I was left with a few bits and pieces to finish.

This included refitting the driveshaft’s to the box.

Once completed, and with the entire front end still raised on axle stands I started it up, selected 1st and let the clutch out.

I initially thought I had ballsed something up, as walking around the car only one wheel (I cant remember which) was rotating.

This was entirely due to the action of the differential, as once off the stands, the drive was fine.

jackherer
I foudn these bits on the web;

"INTERMEDIATE SHAFT

The short extension that connects the halfshaft on the "short" side of the transaxle to the differential gears. An intermediate shaft is necessary in some applications where equal length halfshaft are used (equal length shafts help reduce torque steer). The outboard end of the shaft is supported by a bearing and bracket. The inboard end may slip directly into the transaxle or it may be connected by a universal joint to a stubshaft

As many of you already know, the USDM Accord equipped with the A20AX engine came with axles of 2 different length. The left side axle is almost 2 times longer than the right side axle. This is because the transmission is placed on the right side of the car. That kind of setup is not bad but not ideal for higher performance engines like the B20A. The way to get rid of torque is to use an intermediate shaft and equal length axles. Honda used that kind of setup on the B20A. This shaft is blaced between the transmission and the driveshaft itslef making it virtually an extension of the transmission."

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I agree that the bearing makes the driveshafts 'effectively' the same length and therefore reduce torque steer, thats what I was saying. But I don't think the twisting of the shaft (like a torsion bar) causes torque steer and even if it did an intermediate bearing would make no difference as there would still be more twistable bar on one side than the other.

brianthemagical
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I agree that the bearing makes the driveshafts 'effectively' the same length and therefore reduce torque steer, thats what I was saying. But I don't think the twisting of the shaft (like a torsion bar) causes torque steer and even if it did an intermediate bearing would make no difference as there would still be more twistable bar on one side than the other.

in the same way as a torsion bar, it takes preload, but once the preload is exerted, there is no difference in the driving force.

saveloy
It's 405am hehe 405am, oh anyway, erm, if there's no traction for either road wheel they both spin don't they? Jack the front of the car up in the air and drive it and both road wheels turn.

What I don't understand is why when you've got the car jacked up if you turn one wheel by hand one way the other wheel goes the other way! I'd probably understand if I could see an exploded diagram of a diff.

Yeah she's well into throttle potentiometers too!

Are you SERIOUS?

Cos I've been stockpiling them for an age. Ever since the orignal thread all those decades ago. Do you think she would prefer one buffed with Autoglym plastic polish, or just honest and plain?

KRISKARRERA

Buffed! Honest and plain would be more suited to a Lindsay Lohan or Gemma Atkinson. Just as well we're long standing forum members or we'd be banned for this nonsense. :D

I was out last night on a greasy highway. It was damp and the tarmac was super smooth. In fact smooth as a prom queen's thighs, only not quite so risky! Anyway I booted it in 2nd gear and the wheels didn't loose traction until about 5000 rpm, so it occured to me there are benefits to not having torque at low revs.

saveloy

Christ your right mate. It does make me laugh though. Alot in fact.

That's one lame reason to be happy for not having oodles of the twisty stuff. Next you'll be telling us you're happy that Linzi Dawn McKenzie isn't sitting on your face, because you'd only need to go clean it afterwards.

Sheeeesh.

Sign in to follow this