• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

Wheelspin Only Ever On The Left Wheel

Goliath

hi, i have a 205 1.9 and i cant seem to accelerate very quickly because the left wheel just spins up very easily, its only ever the left one that spins, just wondering if this is normal and if anything can be done to balance it out?

cheers

saveloy

If you get whhel spin, then it will be at the weakest link. In your case it is the left tyre. You do not have a limited slip differential, so when wheel spin comes it will only spin ONE wheel.

damien

yes it is normal, to "sort it out" get yourself a LSD

brianthemagical

swap your front wheels over, see if that helps, if you've got low spec tyres, get decent ones, if you still get it on the left, check over you suspension. my healthy 1.9 rarely spins one wheel, usually 2 do to complete compromise of tration, but it only usually happens in 1st or the wet. failing that, learn how to launch.

Edited by brianthemagical

jord294

don't know whether this will help :lol:

but does the left wheel spin when you carry a passenger, or just when you drive alone ?

if it only spins when your on your own, it's just simple weight distribution

jackherer
usually 2 do to complete compromise of tration

As has been noted that is impossible in a standard 205, spinning two wheels requires an LSD.

C_W
but does the left wheel spin when you carry a passenger, or just when you drive alone ?

if it only spins when your on your own, it's just simple weight distribution

Yea that's the main reason it's spins up the left wheel over the right - when you have a passenger to balance out the weight it will choose either side, whichever is easier to spin.

If you're cornering then it will always be the inside wheel, pulling out of a junction etc, the inner wheel will always be the one to spin up.

brianthemagical
As has been noted that is impossible in a standard 205, spinning two wheels requires an LSD.

really? even when doing shody launches with loads of revs? or in the wet? if nothing else mine 'feels' like it's spinning both wheels.

Edited by brianthemagical

pip470

Yeah would also like to question this, Im sure both wheels are spinning when i warm the tyres up before a pod run.

Jrod

Also think it can spin both as I've seen big black marks left by my car.... it does tend to be the left wheel more though.

Edited by Jrod

dirtdog

does how the engine is mounted have anything to do with it?

my left seems to spin more but they do both spin at same time ( in the wet/snow/mud etc)

Mikey G

I would sugest a trip to someone who can do corner weights. Maybe a weak spring on that side of the car or someone has bodged a lowering job on the rear. The wheel with the least weight on it will always break traction first.

welshpug

hmm, our brake tester gives weights per wheel would that do the same job as corner weighting?

Edited by welshpug

saveloy
does how the engine is mounted have anything to do with it?

my left seems to spin more but they do both spin at same time ( in the wet/snow/mud etc)

No they do not. Without a LSD it is impossible for both wheels to spin at the same time. An open differential basically means you drive a one wheel drive car.

cybernck

well my cars are LHD and it's the opposite - i noticed they spin the right wheel easier :).

saveloy

Which makes perfect sense and tallies up with what has been said.

Tell me, do you like Scarlett Johansson?

pip470

Surley when the car is bieng driven normaly power is being applied to both wheels, If you can break traction on both wheels at the same time then both wheels should spin. Ie a sharp release of the clutch and lots of revs.

KRISKARRERA

It's 405am hehe 405am, oh anyway, erm, if there's no traction for either road wheel they both spin don't they? Jack the front of the car up in the air and drive it and both road wheels turn.

What I don't understand is why when you've got the car jacked up if you turn one wheel by hand one way the other wheel goes the other way! I'd probably understand if I could see an exploded diagram of a diff.

Tell me, do you like Scarlett Johansson?
Yeah she's well into throttle potentiometers too!

Goliath

cheers guys, i do have about 3 mil less tread on the left wheel so that might be the problem, i get the wheelspin when on my own or with a passenger but its worse when on my own, i still havent driven the car on a properly dry day so im guessing that all these three things add to it! its not to bad and only in first and second so im not to bothered!

TurboSam

Mine doesn't even wheelspin from a crawling start in 1st in the dry, gti6 engine and 1.6 box (on paradas) :)

tyres must have quite a bit to do with it, my brothers XS used to spin one wheel up all the time with cheapo tyres

Jrod

I guess you have problems then as my bog XS engine would spin good year eagles 215 width. :)

C_W
Surley when the car is bieng driven normaly power is being applied to both wheels, If you can break traction on both wheels at the same time then both wheels should spin. Ie a sharp release of the clutch and lots of revs.

It's being distributed to one side or the other all the time. Unless you have an LSD it will spin one wheel only.

It's 405am hehe 405am, oh anyway, erm, if there's no traction for either road wheel they both spin don't they? Jack the front of the car up in the air and drive it and both road wheels turn.

When jacked up and with the engine running, only one wheel has any real power going through it, the other is usually being turned by drag; you can easily stop either wheel and the opposite wheel will turn.

brumster

<cough> Shorter driveshaft anything to do with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FF_layout

The shorter drive shaft, being stiffer than the longer drive shaft, transmits the motion to the wheels immediately instead of 'winding' up due to the drive torque[citation needed]. The net result is more tractive force at the wheel with the shorter drive shaft and the car tends to pull to the opposite side.
Edited by brumster

Super Josh
What I don't understand is why when you've got the car jacked up if you turn one wheel by hand one way the other wheel goes the other way! I'd probably understand if I could see an exploded diagram of a diff.

And it's the opposite with a LSD fitted, both wheels will turn the same way. A good check to do if you are buying a car and the seller claims it has an LSD :)

Josh

Sign in to follow this