• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skeggyrik

Balancing The Bottom End

skeggyrik

When they balance the bottom the end of an engine how do they do it?

Sandy

Piston weights are matched as precisely as possible, same for the rods, but the rods are also end over end balanced too to equal out their inertia at each end as much as possible and the flywheel and crank are rotated on a special balancing machine to find where off axis imbalances exist and then they are ground or drilled to remove the excess weight and find balance.

skeggyrik

superb answer. Thanks :)

engine killer
Piston weights are matched as precisely as possible, same for the rods, but the rods are also end over end balanced too to equal out their inertia at each end as much as possible and the flywheel and crank are rotated on a special balancing machine to find where off axis imbalances exist and then they are ground or drilled to remove the excess weight and find balance.

After I blew my previous 8v, I had it all balanced during rebuilt as you mentioned here. The engine performance difference is huge. The engine rev much more happier than before and quieter. And the high rev went even smoother and willing to rev a little bit more especially in 4th and 5th. I cannot comment on my current Mi because when I haven't tried it before, but I highly recommend if you are rebuilding you engine, DO BALANCE it.

skeggyrik

Just coming back to this. When they take the weight out of the pistons, where do they usually take it from?

Sandy

The non-critical areas inside the piston, common sense prevails!

osama

how much would this process cost to be done? sounds like it would tidy up the internals!

Sandy

Depends entirely who you take it to! Best to find someone local/reputable, because sending parts like that is tricky with packaging.

McPikie

Think my mate paid around £400 all in for crank, fly, rods and pistons for his RS Turbo

Alan_M
Think my mate paid around £400 all in for crank, fly, rods and pistons for his RS Turbo

I paid less than a quarter of that for my Mi16, for all the above and harmonic damper.

Sandy

There you go, that's how much prices can vary!

nick

Don't forget the clutch cover!

Nick

Alan_M
Don't forget the clutch cover!

Nick

Yep, and that. I seem to recall they also wanted all the bolts that would be used too!

nick

Autosprint in Birmingham do it, I had a Pinto done years ago and was well happy with it.

Nick

max0

ive got a 8v engine in bits and might weigh it all to find how much difference there is in each piston/rods (with todays engineering you would have thought they would all be the same) When I was a nipper my had explained it as trying to run with a trainer on one foot and a walking boot on the other

Sign in to follow this