• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

[engine_work] Twin Weber 1.4 8v Build

Sandy

Haha, I think we made it 100mm face to face from memory, but it needs to be accurately angled to be that long and slightly offset. About 70mm face to face is much easier.

Got the engine and box in today, pics to follow.

DamirGTI
Haha, I think we made it 100mm face to face from memory, but it needs to be accurately angled to be that long and slightly offset. About 70mm face to face is much easier.

Got the engine and box in today, pics to follow.

Hi!

Excellent , thanks ! :lol:

I wish all the best results for your project B)

Cheers

Damir

christopher

What kind of ratios does the picasso box have then?

Sandy

This one is:

1st 3.46

2nd 1.87

3rd 1.29

4th 0.95

5th 0.75

FDR 4.26

You can use the BE3 1st and 2nd for the taller first, but you have to keep the 3/4/5th from the BE4 range.

Sandy

Today I finished making the gear linkages and fitted all the front suspension and shafts etc. First up was loosening up the top mount bearings with a little oil and rotating them until they ran freely, new ones would be better, but they are pretty costly and it's saturday PM!

JGH25.JPG

Assembling the strut, Challenge Bilsteins and Eibach 106 50mm springs, which work lovely on TU 205s:

JGH26.JPG

Fitted 309 lower arms (base model type, much cheaper and not very much less precise than GTi set up IMO), being slightly longer widens the track and brings a morsel of negative camber, comparing the length:

JGH27.JPG

Shiny bits, lordy!

JGH28.JPG

Finally a pic whilst filling the gearbox oil, before the wheels went on:

JGH29.JPG

RossD

Looking good, if only I could build mine at this pace!

Sandy, The BE4 box looks quite a lot bigger than the MA, any idea how much heavier it is?

djinuk

haha , i didnt realize you could use the 309 tca's but a friend of mine told me to have a measure up to see if they fit, when you say it creates negative camber does that means it plus the top of the wheel further into the arch, also how do these fair up to the standard 205 tca's ?

Sandy

The BE box is only about 5kg heavier at a guess, I didn't weigh it exactly, the corner weights should be pretty good.

The 309 arms are about 12-15mm a side longer, they push the wheels out slightly, but not enough to foul the arches.

djinuk

ah , you see ive always noticed that a base model shape 205 , with 1.9 wheels on the fronts look as though they sit a few mm further out than the actual arch, but i would like to lower the front end so that the front wheels actually sit inside the arch, and was there for wondering if due the the longer tca's if they would cause the top of the wheel to pull into the arch some more to cease this problem.

jonnygoodhand

It all seems to be coming together really nicely, Sandy! Cheers for the updates.

The gearbox weighed 31.4kg, according to the carton and the guy at Citroen - I had to specify this when arranging the courier.

Sandy

1.9 alloys are 6" wide with 19mm offset and people usually use 195/50 tyres on them, which is mostly why they appear to stick out. I wouldn't use 1.9 alloys anymore myself, they're too heavy.

Jrod

That was the problem with the 16x8's, so heavy.

Building a 1360 just wasn't going to cut it, rather than change engine I changed car. :rolleyes:

stu_woac

the 1.9 alloys do me ok but my buget was and is still super tight lol, looking good sandy, how far is this projuct going just a engine build or you going to do more I.e. weight loss?

Sandy

My basic brief was just to assemble the engine and fit the new suspension parts, got a bit too carried away already :rolleyes::angry:

Sandy

Nearly finished it today, a bit frustrating really. Down to all those nick nack jobs. MOT booked tomorrow, talk about tempting fate; but it has to be done and I've got alot else to do once it's finished!

Pics from today:

Fabricated top right engine mount, Colin spent quite a while on this, but made a jig, so he can duplicate it if anyone else needs one ( post 90 TU 205/309 fitment), can't agurantee it will work with shorter inlet manifolds:

JGH30.JPG

Engine bay at close of business today, I'm exhausted!

JGH31.JPG

stu_woac

looks abit tight lol good luck with mot will it need emmions done??

djinuk

looks brilliant there, maybe cut the brake servo hose down where it goes to the inlet, how much of a job is it setting up them twin 40's. also just out of interest roughly how much would them engine brackets be ?

danpug

Looks great, typical sandy style!

Jrod
looks brilliant there, maybe cut the brake servo hose down where it goes to the inlet, how much of a job is it setting up them twin 40's. also just out of interest roughly how much would them engine brackets be ?

I spoke to Colin and he thinks around £60

eeyore
I spoke to Colin and he thinks around £60

After making one it will be more like £100 as it took longer than expected, typical sandy job!

Jrod

Ah right, yer it does look mighty good though. :rolleyes:

Sandy
typical sandy job!

I've no idea what you mean :rolleyes:

Sandy

Got it running, only to have a pressurising cooling system. Taking the head off revealed the liner protrusion isn't good enough, which is frustrating, because it was ok when I checked it during the build. So it's all coming apart again to remedy the protrusion and build it up again.

Very frustrating, but it could always be worse.

Rippthrough
Got it running, only to have a pressurising cooling system. Taking the head off revealed the liner protrusion isn't good enough, which is frustrating, because it was ok when I checked it during the build. So it's all coming apart again to remedy the protrusion and build it up again.

Very frustrating, but it could always be worse.

Sorry, new I should have checked my block over when I half-inched the engine last night :lol:;)

Sandy

LoL, oh how we laughed