• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sammyh

Turbo Technics Rebuild

sammyh

I've got hold of an origanl TT converted car, the plan is to remove it all and do a rebuild :) what are the main parts that I should upgrade at the same time? is the turbo

worth changing or should I just get a rebuild on it?

welshpug

it depends how original the car is, and how original you want it to be.

I guess the minimum would be a refurbished turbo, new shells and rings and engine gasket kit to do the job properly.

as for the management it can be quite a task to get them (and keep them) running sweetly, there have been a few reports of significant gains from this engine and turbo setup by using a fully mappable engine control system, though I cant remember who it was right now, a PSOOC member for sure!

saveloy

Moi?

j_turnell

I think bar far the best upgrade on the TT is to ditch the 5th injector system and get something like Emerald.

vern

I agree with J_turnell ditch the TT setup and convert to Emerald. Thats what I did it costs a bit more but is worth it in the long run.

TT205

Where did the car come from - we might know it and therefore it's history?

welshpug
Moi?

I think it was sir!

saveloy

Yep, programmable management is the way to go. Throw away the standard plumbing too, and get a pipe made up for a more direct route. The TT exhaust is restrictive too, although you an still get away with using it. Ideally, you need a 2.75" system.

It all depends on how far you want to go.

If you rebuild the turbo, be sure to fit a 360 degree thrust bearing. Or, you could fit a roller bearing type, if cost is no object. Lighten/balance the crank and flywheel. And a flowed head is worth about 10% in torque.

Mine runs 1.3 bar(19 psi) and produces about 220 bhp and 240 Ib/ft torque.

vern

willy waving I have got a bigger one,

I make 230BHP and 234lbft at 1 bar of boost. :P

saveloy

Torque is where it's at pal. So nurrrr. Now tuck it away.

sammyh
Yep, programmable management is the way to go. Throw away the standard plumbing too, and get a pipe made up for a more direct route. The TT exhaust is restrictive too, although you an still get away with using it. Ideally, you need a 2.75" system.

It all depends on how far you want to go.

If you rebuild the turbo, be sure to fit a 360 degree thrust bearing. Or, you could fit a roller bearing type, if cost is no object. Lighten/balance the crank and flywheel. And a flowed head is worth about 10% in torque.

Mine runs 1.3 bar(19 psi) and produces about 220 bhp and 240 Ib/ft torque.

Right what pipe? :wacko: any pictures of what you have in mind? I was thinking of using a MI bottom end and where can I get said exhaust from?

sorry for all the questions and thanks for everyone's input so far :)

saveloy

The standard air box is retained on the TT. But the route goes into the AFM then does a u - turn and goes into the turbo. All of that can go. Turn the AFM through 180 degrees, pop a filter on one end and run a pipe up and through 90 degrees, run it along the back of the cylinder head and into the turbo.

50TTengineOMEX-med.JPG

I use a lightened & balanced Mi16 crank, with wonderful results.

Not sure about the exhausts, but getting one ade up from someone like Tube Torque, or Blue Flame, should be no problem.

vern

For the exhaust try Neil at Des developments, I got a 3"downpipe and 2.75" exhaust in stainless. I cannot fault the fit it fitted better than the standard one!, It was quite expensive about £350, but like I said fit and finish is excellant, and it does sound good.

Is that a pic of your engine bay Savloy, if it is I would be interested to know how you have done the breathers?, where does the other end of the filler cap go, not the small pipe to throttle.

For your info you could use a battery from an MX5 its gel type, so a lot smaller and gives more cranking amps. I have done my layout almost the same as yours, but with blue hoses.

sammyh

sammyh

Pistons seem a little worse for wear :ph34r: any idea where I can ger replacements?

cybernck

i *think* you can still get standard 1.9 pistons machined by TT themselves :ph34r:.

saveloy

Yep, that is my engine bay. The breather simply vents to atmosphere. However, I will be fitting a catch tank soon. I will use an Mi16 single outlet oil cap. The throttle inlet will be blocked and the single outlet will be plumbed straight into the tank.

Sammy, get the machining figures from TT and have a set of std pistons machined.

matty_gti

When replacing the HG on a 1.9 TT, is it the same part as a normal 1.9 GTI or are they different thicknesses?.

Thanks.

TEKNOPUG

No, they are the same. However, for piece of mind, fit a stronger GrpN item.

Alastairh
i *think* you can still get standard 1.9 pistons machined by TT themselves :lol:.

Correct. Was in their main office a couple of months back (3 miles from my work :) ).

Think they charged around £140 or something.

Should be going back soon to get a few bits done ;)

saveloy

The Gpn N head gasket is simply the thickest Peugeot item on sale. It's very strong and easily up to the task. And it costs about £30 I think. Don't waste you money on special head gaskets that cost the earth - pointless.

matty_gti

Have you got a detailed spec of your engine saveoly which i can read threw???? ;)

O and which liners have you used, 8v or Mi16?, and what flywheel do you have?.

Matt

Edited by matty_gti

TEKNOPUG
Have you got a detailed spec of your engine saveoly which i can read threw???? ;)

Matt

You want to look for posts by Saveloy, Matt Cony & Mad Professor - they will all reveal detailed builds and mods for TT engines.

HOWEVER ----- Having just performed a search, I can't find any of the relevant posts (I know that they exist - I've read them many times) - maybe the Mods can help as the whole search function seems to be pretty hit & miss at the moment...

TEKNOPUG

I'm not searching on "words" - I'm searching through members posts - I've been through all Savleoy's from today to 2004 and I can't find his posts about his Omex conversion and results.

I'll have another look but it seems to me that a lot of threads/posts have either disappeared or the database links are corrupted.

Edited by TEKNOPUG

Sign in to follow this