• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
john-melbourne

Problems With Electrics

john-melbourne

Hi Guys,

Just been running my new 205 just to check her over and i have noticed that the reverse lights, speedo and rev counter are not working? Are these connected in some way?

If not whats the first steps to take to identify the problems?

John

Ryan

The reversing lights and rev counter are both connected to Fuse #1 on the fusebox, so it might be blown.

The speedo is mechanical, so if it's not working at all then it could be a broken cable.

john-melbourne

i have had a look at the fuse it doesnt seem to be blown?

Arahan

see where the wires lead elsewhere then and check the connector plugs. ive had trouble with my left hand side indicator and side repeater recently, it was a brown connector housing 2 wires that even though was together, the wires inside had slipped away from the end so not making a connection. Utter pain in the arris!

john-melbourne

Is fuse number one the one with the picture of just the reverse lights on? is it the small one? or should i be looking somewhere else for the one that is used for the reve counter as well?

Sorry if i sound stupid i am new to this.

John

john-melbourne

i changed the fuse today and still no luck, although when i started the car the rev counter jumped up to about 700rpm and then died again?

johnnyboy666

sounds like that could be related to ignition coil or ignition amp?

john-melbourne

Would that still knock the reverse lights out as well?

john-melbourne

Hi Guys,

Could anyone tell me where to look for the earth for the rev counter?, Also the reverse lights are not working although i have checked the number 1 fuse.

Any help greatly appreciated :lol:

John

john-melbourne

Having just read through about 50 posts lol a also dont have the digital clock and read that this can sometimes cause a problem?

John

jackherer

If you've lost a whole circuit and its not a blown fuse I'd start by checking its not a loose plug on the fusebox.

john-melbourne
If you've lost a whole circuit and its not a blown fuse I'd start by checking its not a loose plug on the fusebox.

Already checked for loose plugs even gave the wires a little nudge just to see if that brought anything to life.

jackherer

See if there is power at the fuse with a multimeter or bulb and wire.

john-melbourne

Found this dodgy bit of wiring with a lot of electrical tape, Could this be the problem?

Picture1.jpg

John

jackherer

The rev counter gets its signal from that plug so you might be on to something there...

john-melbourne

Hey Jackherer,

Thanks for all your help would this also cause the reverse lights to be out?

John

jackherer

That seems unlikely, I think the only way it could is if they are on the same fuse and that fuse is blown.

Try unplugging the reverse light switch (on top of the gearbox) and shorting its two pins together, if the reverse lights come on now its the switch at fault.

john-melbourne

Just unravelled all the electrical tape and all the connections are fine, onto the next possibility lol The rev counter jumps up about 500rpm when you first turn the key but then dies.

John

john-melbourne

Just tried shorting the Reverse light sensor as well this is not al fault either :unsure:

John

jackherer

Did you check to see if there was 12v at the fuse?

pug_ham

What year is your car?

If it is a phase 2 with the reversing light in the rear valance the plug on the back of the light unit is very susceptable to corrosion which is highly effective at stopping the light from working, as is a blown bulb.

Fuse #1 (10amp) does both the rev counter & reversing lights along with some other guages but that depends on teh year your car was made.

That spare wire at the coil plug is normal with the inlet mounted coil cars.

The clocks often don't work but they are on a different fuse to the rev counter & reversing light (which share the same fuse) so maybe the clock's fuse is blown. Does your stereo still work?

If you reversing light works when the plug is shorted maybe the gearbox switch has failed? (rare but not unheard of & the reversing light isn't needed by law. Its more of a courtesy light to tell other people you are reversing).

Graham.

john-melbourne
Did you check to see if there was 12v at the fuse?

I have not got a multimeter :unsure:

john-melbourne
That spare wire at the coil plug is normal with the inlet mounted coil cars.

The clocks often don't work but they are on a different fuse to the rev counter & reversing light (which share the same fuse) so maybe the clock's fuse is blown. Does your stereo still work?

If you reversing light works when the plug is shorted maybe the gearbox switch has failed? (rare but not unheard of & the reversing light isn't needed by law. Its more of a courtesy light to tell other people you are reversing).

Graham.

The reverse lights dont work when shorted and i have no stereo lol

john-melbourne

Its a 1988 Phase 1 i believe, the reverse lights are part of the rear cluster.

jackherer
I have not got a multimeter :)

You do have a bulb and a bit of wire though :unsure:

Sign in to follow this