• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig f90

205 2.0 Turbo Project 2007 Questions

sonofsam
Not meaning to hi-jack this thread. Just think this question would help both of us lol.

How have you guys got your brake servo plummed in?? I've been told that if I just plum it straight into the manifold the turbo pressure will break it.

Also has anyone got a pin out for the 2 brown connectors inside the 205

Cheers guys

Jamie

Pics of mine to follow :D:D

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=78814&hl= B)

As for the brown plugs, search for grim.badgers very informative post on that subject!

Hilgie

The white (or black) plug on the servo where you connect the vacuum hose to already has a one-way flap installed!!! No need for another one :)

Mikey G
The white (or black) plug on the servo where you connect the vacuum hose to already has a one-way flap installed!!! No need for another one :)

I thought that, but the couple i have seen never had one.

craig f90

Feel free to add to or hijack this post guys.

cheers for the tacho diagram hilgie, and thanks to sam for where to search for info on the brown plugs. ive just been looking at the servo thingy my self, cheers again sam. Now for a question of my own? the enginge running relay, is it needed the only thing i can find attatched to is the heated rear window so far. Can i take it out?

craig f90
I think he means the diode's for direct fire tacho mod. off the coil packs! When you want some diodes gimme a shout you

can have them for nowt ;)

Good luck with the alt. assy. :)

Ahh, sorry welshpug. cheers for clearing that up sam. I would like to take you up on your genorous offer if/ when the time comes. Im a bit pee'd off this week to be honest, Ive been busy with my mates (not his fault, but that of the previous owner) Astra gte 1.6v. new o/s wheel arch and sill fitted and painted and whole car buffed so he could mot it and get it on the road (happy days). took it for an mot and the previous owner had put 2 blobs of weld on the bottom edge of the n/s sill to hold the foor to the body!!! new sill time and a couple of small holes to weld which the mot man kindly fitted to the floor. To be fair to my mate he helps me, so i help him. But tomorows another day on the pug. i hope.

So back to the alt. Have you and ant cut the bracket? mines got the p.a.s or air con mount poking out. i wish i didnt have to go see the g/f tonite. i want to play pugs. :)

sonofsam
Feel free to add to or hijack this post guys.

cheers for the tacho diagram hilgie, and thanks to sam for where to search for info on the brown plugs. ive just been looking at the servo thingy my self, cheers again sam. Now for a question of my own? the enginge running relay, is it needed the only thing i can find attatched to is the heated rear window so far. Can i take it out?

Think I asked about the 'engine running' in the fusebox topic that I posted (no replies though) However the only relay on my car's turbo loom

is the injection double relay. With the engine running I disconnected all the various relays that where hanging around the fusebox area

and they made no differene not being there. Can you get a picture or describe it for us.

Yes I cut the big prong the sits potruding forward off the mount as it wasnt needed.

Hehe know what you mean mate! GF's do get in the way of projects sometimes, but mine was a complete angel through out my project

Helping out etc and even getting her hands dirty(:)), so cant complain :)

craig f90

Bless your girlfriend for helping. you have a perfect lady, mate. My girlfriend has no interest what so ever in cars and oily hands :) Shame really, we would spend alot more time together.

I typed it into the search function about the Engine running relay, and saw your post asking about it. No replies, bugger.

From what the schematic diagram is showing there is only the double management relay. As you say the rest aren't needed. I cant remember all, but th likes of a/c, light switches and so on were in my loom. In the Haynes i can only see the wires to the heated rear window coming from the E.R.Relay, just hoping that some one had come across the reason it was fitted. (Stop slacking craig & figure it out!!) Mine looks like 2 of the smallest relays ive ever seen. ( wish i knew how to load up pics) 2 small black relays side by side in a made for the job carrier. Theres also another Large black multi function rlay box that looks the same as the one next to the ecu. I dont mind keeping them, just nice to know what they do, you know what i mean.

Im gonna get the cutting disc out tomorow. weather permiting.

Cheers, craig.

Edited by craig f90

craig f90

Hi everyone! Its been a long time since ive posted here, BUT i havent given up (yet) The engines now in the 205 :lol: , cooling systems plumbed in (no leaks,yet) fingers crossed the wirings done right. It runs (After me stupidly cutting the speed interface module off while engine was in the 406.) gears are selecting, Cossie intercoolers fitted, after a lot of messing around. ruddy pipes :P . All thats left is an exhaust, bleed brakes after replacing fluid. tidy it all up and test drive, :wub:

My next job is to wire up the gauges. do i take the wires straight from the sensors of the engine and join them to the brown plug or is there more to it than that? :unsure:

cheers guys.

sonofsam

Hi Craig, No not really, most of the engine sensor wires go through the big plug(s) on the turbo loom if I remember rightly.

I left the 205 sensor loom in place , then just got the multimeter out again and traced and joined where relevant for the gauges/sensors,

however there are a few that will catch you out!

Good work so far might I add. :)

craig f90

Hi sam :) . I knew that would be the case. (however there are a few that will catch you out!) ive had peek in the hanyes for the location of the sensors, so that ill be aware of which plugs which. When the search function was working i read that a member got stuck on the odd wire. I also have found grim badgers brown plug pin out which will help. i just wasn't sure if

Either the 205 sensor loom (off the 205's engine) was carried over to the turbo engine, or the turbo sensor wires were carried over to the brown plug.

I dont have the oil temp? or pressure sensor? (forgot what function the sensor is :P sorry. Must be late ) in the sump on the 406.

Sorry im a worrier :( . Im hoping this, my first engine conversion will be perfect.

Sam your euro rallye flava'd 205 is leaving a sweet taste in my mouth. She is STUNNING. :lol:

Gladly mines coming together, as posted ive a few jobs left to do, but we'll get there.

Thankyou for your help and advice, you've made it loads easier, given me a head start. Sadly the weathers putting the brakes on progress :)

Crazy-legs!

Hiya Craig. Iv'e just finnished building my 205 turbo and with regards to the sensors i just took the two water temp sensors out of my xu5 cylinder head (Kinda behind the thermostat housing) And wired one of these to the 205 sensor loom. The oil temp i think was the one in the sump, which i done the same again, and as for the oil pressure switch, i took the one of my XU5 lump and turned up a spigot to be welded to the turbo oil feed pipe.

Hope this helps mate!

craig f90
Hiya Craig. Iv'e just finnished building my 205 turbo and with regards to the sensors i just took the two water temp sensors out of my xu5 cylinder head (Kinda behind the thermostat housing) And wired one of these to the 205 sensor loom. The oil temp i think was the one in the sump, which i done the same again, and as for the oil pressure switch, i took the one of my XU5 lump and turned up a spigot to be welded to the turbo oil feed pipe.

Hope this helps mate!

Hi crazy-legs.

That was what i was thinking about doing last night. ( wasn't sure if it would happen, but obviously it does. Brilliant)

thanks for your reply.

And a huge CONGRATULATIONS on finishing yours. :angry:

Crazy-legs!

Cheers Craig. Your one can't be too far off being finnished now can it? The're well worth it when there done. i managed to upset mr Scooby WRX in mine the other day, he didnt look too happy when a standard looking 1.6 205 GTI pulled away from him! :)

Guest am_i_mad?

Got mine going lads :D only thing is I need to do something about my brake servo. it's fouling against the cam belt cover when running. on idle there is about half an inch room but on driving it moves. got group n mounts. i'm hoping all i need is the 306 xsi top mount leg. plus mine is only boosting at 0.2 bar. I'm wondering ifit's either because my vss is only connected via the green ecu wire and earth. Whats the red wire do lol. plus i'm using the standard gti exhaust. Think it's a bit small.

Any Ideas guys. Cheers

Jamie

Crazy-legs!
Got mine going lads :o only thing is I need to do something about my brake servo. it's fouling against the cam belt cover when running. on idle there is about half an inch room but on driving it moves. got group n mounts. i'm hoping all i need is the 306 xsi top mount leg. plus mine is only boosting at 0.2 bar. I'm wondering ifit's either because my vss is only connected via the green ecu wire and earth. Whats the red wire do lol. plus i'm using the standard gti exhaust. Think it's a bit small.

Any Ideas guys. Cheers

Jamie

I'd put money on it being your boost control solinoid not working properly. mine done exactly the same thing and i found that the solinoid was not "shutting off" properly. I ditched it in favour of a mechanical boost controller, and now she FLYS! :P

craig f90
Cheers Craig. Your one can't be too far off being finnished now can it? The're well worth it when there done. i managed to upset mr Scooby WRX in mine the other day, he didnt look too happy when a standard looking 1.6 205 GTI pulled away from him! :lol:

Yeah not far now.. My mate kidnapped it only until friday, to fit/build a powerflow system. Im officially bored now. no car to tinker with :)

(I keep reading these posts about how great they are crazy-legs. Im soooo jealous. :) Another story came from a police officer, He has a mi16'd 205 and says he has great pleasure smoking exotic motors. ) Obviously ive got the sensors to do, but i just keep finding bits and pieces that im not happy with. :( . Next week im hoping :D . I cant promise it, due to the weather.

craig f90
Got mine going lads :D only thing is I need to do something about my brake servo. it's fouling against the cam belt cover when running. on idle there is about half an inch room but on driving it moves. got group n mounts. i'm hoping all i need is the 306 xsi top mount leg. plus mine is only boosting at 0.2 bar. I'm wondering ifit's either because my vss is only connected via the green ecu wire and earth. Whats the red wire do lol. plus i'm using the standard gti exhaust. Think it's a bit small.

Any Ideas guys. Cheers

Jamie

Hi jamie, Which top mount are you using? ive used the 306 one and its left a good space. only concern i have is the turbo pipe is close to the servo :( I'm certain that 2.5" to 3" is the best diameter regarding turbo exhausts. Maybe if you have left the centre section in this may cause flow issues? Dont talk to me about speed sensors :) I chopped mine from the loom :) Then i had to customise the ruddy thing to fit the speedo cable as i have only 2 wires going into it. If i had it my way i would be in the bin :lol:

Maybe someone can answer you red wire question????? i dont have my car with me at the moment, but im sure mine were grey, purple ang beige going to the module. Does yours have a module? im using a 406 loom.

sonofsam

Yeah Craig is correct, 2.5" with no middle box is about right for a standard 2.0T engine in a 205. Worth noting the GTI downpipe is smaller in diameter than the activa one!

I had a few problems with that solenoid (namely overboosting to 1.2bar!) However, it is worth getting working properly. B)

There is a good topic around on how it should be plumbed in started by Bam.

Guest am_i_mad?

does the ecu not need the boost soleniod then. I have an AVCR controller ready to go in. can i just replace the stupid little citroen thing lol.

Thought my exhaust would be wrong. it's using the activa downpipe just the gti rest. will have to souce some pipe and make one.

The top mount i'm using at the mo is the original xantia one (with a tiny bit of grinding to get rid of that bush that was on it)

I will get some pics of my little baby up at somepoint but she needs a clean after my hard work and loss of blood lol

Any ideas on the brake servo side of things guys?? I've been told an xs one is smaller.

I thought the main conversion was gonna be a nightmare but that was the easy part. getting the thing working right is a major pain but can't wait for proper boost :-)

Cheers for all your help

Jamie

sonofsam
does the ecu not need the boost soleniod then. I have an AVCR controller ready to go in. can i just replace the stupid little citroen thing lol.

Thought my exhaust would be wrong. it's using the activa downpipe just the gti rest. will have to souce some pipe and make one.

The top mount i'm using at the mo is the original xantia one (with a tiny bit of grinding to get rid of that bush that was on it)

I will get some pics of my little baby up at somepoint but she needs a clean after my hard work and loss of blood lol

Any ideas on the brake servo side of things guys?? I've been told an xs one is smaller.

I thought the main conversion was gonna be a nightmare but that was the easy part. getting the thing working right is a major pain but can't wait for proper boost :-)

Cheers for all your help

Jamie

Hi Jamie, the ECU will run without the solenoid, as long you have some sort of boost controller (ie-not a bleed valve) in place. Like you have the apexi, although the standard ECU deals with boost very well via the throttle position switch and VSS wich it cross references and adjust's level's accordingly via the solenoid, so basically the harder you push the 'go' pedal the more boost you will get upto 0.65bar wich is max. on a standard set up. It works like the apexi I guess wich is more of a stand alone unit though.

Your exhaust sounds Ok really to me, although a step down in diameter is supposed to be as far away as the turbo exit as possible so I read.

As for the top mount I would get as said an XSI one and extend the lower mount fork out by 15mm and put in an uprated lower engine mount

to stop too much movement, many people run like this including myself with no servo fouling issues.

Yes I spent a good few weeks ironing out all the niggles on mine, happy to say she is as good as gold now, so it is worth it in the end. :)

Dont forget you need a one way valve in your brake servo hose coming off the inlet manifold, if it hasnt already got one where the pipe enters the servo in that little white plastic union though, otherwise you will be sending valuable boost into the servo!

Sam.

Guest am_i_mad?

Cheers sam.

I had a new bottom mount made which was 20mm longer. Might go out and file a slot in it to bring it back to 15. at least i get adjustment then lol.

I will go with the Apexi unit then as i plan to run about a bar of boost. I love it to bits but just need to sort her out. Took her to cornwall in the summer and embarressed a few posers on the way down.

As for the vss I have 3 wires on it. A green which goes to the ecu. Green and yellow which is earthed and a red that goes no where at the mo. Any ideas??

Jamie

Edited by am_i_mad?

craig f90

Cheers for all your help

Jamie

If memory serves correctly Discostu (in members projects, well worth a read, as is sonosams turbo project) used an XS servo as it IS smaller. im concidering it too. Im due to take mine out soon. :( so i will know then. ive taken sams advice and uprated the lower bush, sod all movement from that. Just bin the middle box, see how you get on with that? ive spent hours just staring at my stupid car, trying to get the solinoied plumbed in right. Road test will tell. :)

Edited by craig f90

sonofsam

Embarasing far more expensive machinery is the name of the game. :) She will be ballistic at @ bar!

That apexi unit should work a treat. I think it's one thing that gets overlooked in home brew turbo conversion- will help out on the wheelspin

front that's for sure!

I had a look at the wiring diagrams for the VSS, but it only shows two wires coming of it. I have three on mine, if I could get to mine easily

I would look for you as I cant quite remeber where the red wire goes, but it's a bit buried unfortunately - http://peugeot.mainspot.net/wiring406/index.shtml

You could have a look at the XM diagrams as there in the first page on my project thread..

Ant

I got my VSS sensor working this weekend

Topic

And the 605 speedo works to so i know alls huncky dorey :blink:

Mine only had 2 wires also. 2 go to the control unit, 1 to the ecu.

Not sure how you could test if its working though without a speedo to check it the needle moves. I drove mine for 6 months and did numerous track days assuming it was working, yet i didnt have the live connected on the vss control unit.. car ran fine, so not convinced they make a massive difference :wacko:

bales
I got my VSS sensor working this weekend

Topic

And the 605 speedo works to so i know alls huncky dorey :lol:

Mine only had 2 wires also. 2 go to the control unit, 1 to the ecu.

Not sure how you could test if its working though without a speedo to check it the needle moves. I drove mine for 6 months and did numerous track days assuming it was working, yet i didnt have the live connected on the vss control unit.. car ran fine, so not convinced they make a massive difference :rolleyes:

I have driven with this both working and not working, I actually did a bit of a scientific test as I thought it may be causing my slight engine issues, in mine it made no discernible difference to the boost control at all. I get 0.5 bar - no more - no less, regardless of gear, wheelspin or temperature of engine.

Though it could just be that mine isnt working full stop....thought it is all wired in correctly and the wires are live when checked with a multi-meter.

I personally don't think it is a part of the conversion that I would be striving to get to work properly.

Sign in to follow this