• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig f90

205 2.0 Turbo Project 2007 Questions

craig f90

Hi folks im going to build a 205 2.0 turbo, using a 406 sri engine 97/p. The car i am putting the turbo engine into is a 89/f 1.6 gti. i have collected a few parts that ive found members on the forum to be using on their project 2.0 turbos. the parts are so far.

205 1.6 gti. 406 2.0 sri.

Mi16 fly wheel and clutch (new standard)

sierra cosworth 2wd intercooler.

1.9 gti be3 gearbox ( on 1.6 be1 currently)

1.9 calipers,discs and pads.

1.9 hubs & drive shafts (on the way i hope)

Any way im hoping to pick a few brains?? Which top engine mount would i need? mi16 or a 306 xsi mount? Im also concerned about an 10-15mm extended lower mount. Are these avalible to buy anywhere?

Also on ebay i spotted a speedo convertor offered by spoooks components for about £70 do i need one? i cant see that anyone else has used one here.

Are there any more parts requried other than custom pipes and odds and ends i need to add to my list please? :D

Mikey G

Top mount should be from a 306 XSi, you only really need the leg that goes across to the top rubber mount.

Lower mount, best i can describe is to fit the engine and tilt it till it looks and fits right, take care of the servo as its mighty close on some cars. you then need to measure how far out the mounting holes are and extend your original mount to suite. We went 20mm on a friends.

Speedo converter i assume you mean the electronic speedo type? we didnt use this as eventually going standalone management, it is required for the ecu to tell what gear you are in for the boost control.

Or you could mean the tacho converter? The signal output from the ECU is different to the gti one and so the tacho cant read it, we have yet to address this as we dont know which method to use yet.

bales
Hi folks im going to build a 205 2.0 turbo, using a 406 sri engine 97/p. The car i am putting the turbo engine into is a 89/f 1.6 gti. i have collected a few parts that ive found members on the forum to be using on their project 2.0 turbos. the parts are so far.

205 1.6 gti. 406 2.0 sri.

Mi16 fly wheel and clutch (new standard)

sierra cosworth 2wd intercooler.

1.9 gti be3 gearbox ( on 1.6 be1 currently)

1.9 calipers,discs and pads.

1.9 hubs & drive shafts (on the way i hope)

Any way im hoping to pick a few brains?? Which top engine mount would i need? mi16 or a 306 xsi mount? Im also concerned about an 10-15mm extended lower mount. Are these avalible to buy anywhere?

Also on ebay i spotted a speedo convertor offered by spoooks components for about £70 do i need one? i cant see that anyone else has used one here.

Are there any more parts requried other than custom pipes and odds and ends i need to add to my list please? :unsure:

Its a 306 xsi mount you need, the lower mount I have just had two plates welded to the original mount to extend it and just re-drilled. No idea why you would need a speedo convertor as it should work fine and the tacho feed I should be doing in a week or two so hopefully that should work with the help of a couple of a diodes and bypassing a resistor.

You will need to bend your gear linkages more than likely and there is lotsof little things that need slightly relocating that I cant think of off the top of my head, oh and if you have not started yet use a longer gearbox off a TD or something, it might seem a bit odd with the 1.9 being longish geared anway but the engines really dont like to rev that much so if you can extend the powerband it will be much much more driveable.

Also the compressor outlet sits very close to the servo so that is an area to be wary off as on mine everything is very very tight round that area.

Edited by bales

sonofsam

Gearbox speed sensor.

new Jubillee clips.

Various hoses/fuel hose, water etc

The universal 405 speedo cable :unsure:

XSI top mount.

Custom downpipe/exhaust.

M7 x 21mm bolts for the clutch cover>flywheel

Most people make there own extended bottom mount, but im sure

someone on here would do one for you, nothing to worry about though.

Probably a few more sundries, but cant quite remember all of them.

Discostu

How do u get the tacho to function?

Why wont the gti tacho work?

sonofsam
Gearbox speed sensor.

new Jubillee clips.

Various hoses/fuel hose, water etc

The universal 405 speedo cable :)

XSI top mount.

Custom downpipe/exhaust.

M7 x 21mm bolts for the clutch cover>flywheel

Most people make there own extended bottom mount, but im sure

someone on here would do one for you, nothing to worry about though.

Probably a few more sundries, but cant quite remember all of them.

EDIT- Throttle cable.

What's the mileage of the turbo engine, you may want to think about new cambelt/tensioner/waterpump.

you also need the 8v lower engine mount block(one wich the driveshaft goes through) and the alternator bottom pulley and some way of mounting the alternator too.

bales
How do u get the tacho to function?

Why wont the gti tacho work?

With 3 diodes and by bypassing a resitor on the tacho pcb, dont know whether it actually works yet as I havent done, but the science as to what it is doing should work. The xu10 has a twin coil pack which means it gives of a different signal to the original 1.9 engine and its tacho feed.

I will know in a week or so whether it actually works.

craig f90

Appoigies for the confusion i meant the tacho. spooks sell a convertor to send correct signal. just wonering if any body had used one? its about £70 + p&p :lol: . Thanks for the advice on the top mount, 306 XSi it is then. Sadly ive bought a 1.9 box ;) is this gonna give me Major grief when driving it? Thanks for the list of extra parts, i'll have to make a trip up to the local dealers, er i mean ebay. Sorry but which speed sensor did you guys use? was it the bx td one or are there others that can be used? Im not tring to be too tight fisted regarding what i spend as im gonna be keeping the 205 for as long as i can (7 years in feb. love that car.) my friend and i are just getting as many parts/advice as we can before we start, which thanks to you all who have replied is Brilliant :) I will of course keep you all posted if your interested? once the project comences (if i can peel myself off youtube, watching 205 turbos way too much). I will post some pics of the 205 once i figure out how to. im rubbish at things like that.

many thanks craig.

Cheers, sonosam for the list and edit on the cable, nearly wrote speedo cable down down, HaHa.

The belt and tensioner has recently been changed, but i will check/change it. Its got about 40k miles before it is due again.

Edited by craig f90

sonofsam

1.9 box will be fine.

I have all the diodes you need if you do want to do the tacho mod. I know have my tacho converter

made up, so may try fitting next weekend.

Vehicle speed sensor is this- VSS May take a while to hunt one down, but I picked up another one from the scrapyard a while

back for peanuts.

You will need a TDC sensor also for the top of the gearbox to read the

toothed ring on the flywheel.

craig f90

Im really glad the 1.9 box is usable.

would you consider selling your spare VSS, sonosam? Ive seen 306 ones retailing at shocking prices on ebay, but not a bx one. Ive been down the local scrappys today and had no luck there. Excuse my ignorane, but which TDC sensor is used for this conversion? assume not a 406 sri one? how easy was it to build up your tacho convertor? sounds like clever stuff to me.

406 engines coming out this next couple of weeks. mint.

The ecu wont go to sleep :P will it? my mates making me worry about that to be honest.

Edited by craig f90

craig f90

I think i will use tacho converter from spooks. have any of you guys used one? hows your coming along sonofsam? any joy?

B1ack_Mi16
I think i will use tacho converter from spooks. have any of you guys used one? hows your coming along sonofsam? any joy?

It's really easy to make the converter yourself, just need a couple of diodes and a resistor.

I'm sure it's been described somewhere on the forum.

sonofsam

would you consider selling your spare VSS, sonosam? Ive seen 306 ones retailing at shocking prices on ebay, but not a bx one. Ive been down the local scrappys today and had no luck there. Excuse my ignorane, but which TDC sensor is used for this conversion? assume not a 406 sri one? how easy was it to build up your tacho convertor? sounds like clever stuff to me.

The ecu wont go to sleep :wacko: will it? my mates making me worry about that to be honest.

lol, thats a new one on me, the ECU will be fine, aslong as it's kept in a safe enviroment.

Im afraid I cant sell my spare VSS , seeing as it cost me penny's I may aswell hang on to it ;)

Took me a while to find the first one! Look for a TDC sensor with the right plug on the end of it.

Well, its all built, however there's no way I can get to the coil pack plug and leads

and then have space to tap into wires, without removing a boost pipe

or coolant pipe, and to be honest it's not high on my list of priorities, neither should it be your's.

Save your money for the install :)

The diodes and PCB cost less than five quid, compared to spoox'es £70!!

Yes as B1ack_Mi16 said the diagrams are around, just search 'diode' tacho mod etc.

Its in PDF format, but concentrate on the conversion first :D

Edited by sonofsam

midnight motorsport

The ecu wont go to sleep :wacko: will it? my mates making me worry about that to be honest.

hello craig, i think i have a vss sensor spare, its from a gti6 box, it already has a 1.9 gti drive on it too, as i had to swap this over when ftting my gti6 box in my 205, let me know, if any good too you,

cheers, jay

craig f90
hello craig, i think i have a vss sensor spare, its from a gti6 box, it already has a 1.9 gti drive on it too, as i had to swap this over when ftting my gti6 box in my 205, let me know, if any good too you,

cheers, jay

yes i am certainly interested jay. could you please mail me to arrange postage & payment. cheers.

craig f90
lol, thats a new one on me, the ECU will be fine, aslong as it's kept in a safe enviroment.

Im afraid I cant sell my spare VSS , seeing as it cost me penny's I may aswell hang on to it ;)

Took me a while to find the first one! Look for a TDC sensor with the right plug on the end of it.

Well, its all built, however there's no way I can get to the coil pack plug and leads

and then have space to tap into wires, without removing a boost pipe

or coolant pipe, and to be honest it's not high on my list of priorities, neither should it be your's.

Save your money for the install :D

The diodes and PCB cost less than five quid, compared to spoox'es £70!!

Yes as B1ack_Mi16 said the diagrams are around, just search 'diode' tacho mod etc.

Its in PDF format, but concentrate on the conversion first :D

Yeah i know, sorry. im getting carried away with colecting every single part to do this conversion, it's now a hobby in itself. i suppose i cant get every last detail until i get the 2.0 :D into the 205 and then i can finally get exactly what i need.

craig f90

Just another load of silly questions? do i use the 406 or 205 altenator? which belt did evey one use? what modifications need to be made the bracket?

cheers folks.

sonofsam

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...am/DVC01370.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...am/DVC01372.jpg

^^ That's how I did mine, with a 205 alternator and belt, bottom pulley and swing out adjuster mech, but 406 Non turbo mount.

Here's Ant's I think too http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...am/untitled.jpg

Alterntively, make up some steel brackets like I had done previously http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...am/DVC00856.jpg

(notice how unsafe that 1.9 engine mount looks,lol)

If you have trouble finding the right length belt, get down your local motor factors or halfords with the measurement in length

you need and I'll expect they would be able to sort you out with something ^_^

welshpug

craig if you need an adapter for your dizzy I have some spare parts I can make one up for you for a lot less than elsewhere ^_^

craig f90
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...am/DVC01370.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...am/DVC01372.jpg

^^ That's how I did mine, with a 205 alternator and belt, bottom pulley and swing out adjuster mech, but 406 Non turbo mount.

Here's Ant's I think too http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...am/untitled.jpg

Alterntively, make up some steel brackets like I had done previously http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...am/DVC00856.jpg

(notice how unsafe that 1.9 engine mount looks,lol)

If you have trouble finding the right length belt, get down your local motor factors or halfords with the measurement in length

you need and I'll expect they would be able to sort you out with something ^_^

Smashing, im gonna tackle that this week. wasn't too sure what to do as now the air con and stuffs off the engine. the alt looks pretty big on the 406. I will use all of those then, cheers sonosam. That mount does look scary, but its all trial and error in this game. The main thing is youve got it right, now.

craig f90
craig if you need an adapter for your dizzy I have some spare parts I can make one up for you for a lot less than elsewhere ^_^

I dont think i need one for the turbo conversion? i think its the mi16 conversion? correct me if im wrong?

Thank you for the offer welshpug, i am always greatfull for help, supplies of cheaper parts and advice.

regards, craig.

sonofsam

I think he means the diode's for direct fire tacho mod. off the coil packs! When you want some diodes gimme a shout you

can have them for nowt ;)

Good luck with the alt. assy. ^_^

Hilgie

Wiring for the tacho (diodes mod):

post-125-1186953140_thumb.jpg

Hilgie

ontstekingsmodule = ignition module

bobine = coilpack

diodes = diodes (pick 1N4008 examples)

weerstand = resistor, use a 2k2, 1 watt

massa= ground

draad naar toerenteller = wire to revcounter (112)

Guest am_i_mad?

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread. Just think this question would help both of us lol.

How have you guys got your brake servo plummed in?? I've been told that if I just plum it straight into the manifold the turbo pressure will break it.

Also has anyone got a pin out for the 2 brown connectors inside the 205

Cheers guys

Jamie

Pics of mine to follow B):D

Sign in to follow this