• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JR20516V

[engine_work] Mi16 Turbo Sleeper In The Making

JR20516V

Have discarded the big cammed Mi16 lump with TB's to go the turbo route as my new project.

Will post up progress as it goes. I am new to posting up pics here so bear with me guys.

Stage 1 pics to follow. These are just of everything in position as a mock up before we go the full monty.

post-3549-1179401615_thumb.jpg

post-3549-1179401653_thumb.jpg

JR20516V

Here are some specs for the new lump [built by ex-BMW F1 mechanic for the Dakar Rally]

* 1960cc mi16 [all new internals ]

* Ross forged pistons

* Nitrided and balanced crank

* oil squirters, balanced, big injectors, T28 Garrett turbo

* mi16 rods shot peened and balanced

*cylinder head is manifold matched and flowed

* pistons are 1mm oversized, balanced on rod

* compression is 7.8.1

Thats all i can think of atm....this motor should be fun in a 700 kg 205 !!

cheers for now, JR

TEKNOPUG

That CR is really low - what management system are you planning to use?

tom_m

7.8:1 :P how much boost are you planning to run??? won't it be a dog off boost with the compression that low?

pdd144c

Looking good John.

gti_al

JR, my car doesn't even have its new engine and i am getting ideas...

Good luck with finishing it off anyway - the Pig is stunning and deserves to be the quickest 205 in aus. You should have that, shouldn't you?

JR20516V

Teknopug: Motec

Tom: not planning to run silly boost altho it is capable of it. On a test run it got 192 hp ATW @ 8 psi

Driveability and reliability is my first aim. All after that is a bonus !!

Will see how it handles on the dyno next week and then go from there.

Al: Na m8...not aiming to be the quickest in Oz....just a sleepy rice surpriser !!!! lol

I am still looking for a good but not silly rear badge....may just use the 207 badge that reads HDI

They are not in stock yet....anybody !!

pdd144c

Try eBay for badges.

TEKNOPUG
Teknopug: Motec

Tom: not planning to run silly boost altho it is capable of it. On a test run it got 192 hp ATW @ 8 psi

Driveability and reliability is my first aim. All after that is a bonus !!

Will see how it handles on the dyno next week and then go from there.

If you keep the boost respectable you'll be able to run it at a much higher compression rate with the Motec management and get better drivability and more power too.

JR20516V

I know what you are saying.....i'll be keeping an open mind on which way to go when it gets to dyno time.

Its really easy to say "it made 400hp on the dyno" and then have it drive like a dog with 2 legs !

As well as being a track car it also is used sometimes to get me to work or when my other mi205 is in for a service.

Cheers JR

JR20516V

They have all been engine pics so far so here is the PIG on the outside.

That rear 16v badge to be replaced with HDI or Turbo Diesel badge. :)

post-3549-1179494561_thumb.jpg

JR20516V

Nearing completion in readiness for dyno next week. Yesterday got the 3 inch system fitted [see pics ] and also the 19 row oil cooler. The cooler has a very subtle fabricated scoop directing on to it.

All the fluids went in today...Redline for the LSD, power steering fluid [p/steer has been refurbished and installed to enable it easier to steer with the torque steer that will come if planting it ]

End pipe is pointing down to lessen noise and not to look silly/rice...i hate huge exhaust outlets on small cars...i'll leave that for the baseball cap boys !! lol

post-3549-1180001800_thumb.jpg

post-3549-1180001839_thumb.jpg

JR20516V

and another.......

post-3549-1180002724_thumb.jpg

Bally

Nice project. I need some help from you tho. Can you get me the Ross pistons job number, so I can have a set made up?

called them but they say they dont stock them and I would have yto send a piston but if I can get a job number he can pull it up and make me a set to my specs.

gti_al

Looks sh*t :( I want it...

Good luck - it should upset a few commodores round bo...logan. :D

Ahl

Nice pics. :D

Baz
:D Not only will it go amazingly, she's a beaut' too! :(

allanallen

ding dong! :unsure:

Guest Raisin
I am still looking for a good but not silly rear badge....may just use the 207 badge that reads HDI

They are not in stock yet....anybody !!

Oh, no please not the diesel :) If you want to mislead people to get some roadkills more easily put something like 1.1i from Citroen Saxo. Poor bastards will be deeply shocked when you hit the throttle :D

JR20516V

lol.........the roll cage might give it away tho......rollcage and a 1.1 badge...me thinks not !! lol

JR20516V

Brief update on the dyno day.

After running the motor in on the dyno and many checks and balances we did a high run to get near 400hp and climbing. We stopped right there as it was futile to go any further as the uprated ceramic clutch was sterting to slip. The motor wanted to keep going up higher!!

We settled on a nice comfortable figure of 161 kw [atw ] and 340 nm of torque. Everything seemed happy at that point...temps/tyres etc etc.

I will get to drive it very soon once we get the R rubber on it and raise the rear of the bonnet.

The above figures were achieved at .9 bar.

The workshop guys have driven it and said when driven hard will spin wheels in all gears even 5th.

Thats it for now.Final washup coming soon.

cheers JR :)