• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
paul_portsmouth

Strut Braces

paul_portsmouth

how much difference do they make to the handling on the 205?

Garry

Not mega, I could feel a slight difference though . Improved feel in turn in.

jonnie205

Will make no difference on a road car. There is very little load going through inner wings and certainly not enough load on the road to have them flexing enough that it will affect handling. Cant do any harm but dont expect improved handling

sammyh

Helped keep strengthen the car one i wrote mine off :P would have been worse without it!

To be honest the front end felt alot firmer through bends with it on B)

Rippthrough

Should help, especially the lower, chassis stiffness make a large difference to ride quality, handling and road holding (hence the huge improvements over the years), so even if it only makes a slight improvement to the turn in, it should also help reduce the shimmy over potholes etc, especially mid-corner.

Jrod

I thought it made turn in alot sharper but even if it was just in my head I wouldn't be without one now.

dale205mills

Iv got one on mine seems to make a difference.

So you had sum fun in the rain yet paul in the pug???

Dan Ingram

I noticed alot better turn in when I put the top one on, I noticed it alot more when I took it off. I didnt notice much of an improvement from the lower one to be honest though.

Rippthrough
I noticed alot better turn in when I put the top one on, I noticed it alot more when I took it off. I didnt notice much of an improvement from the lower one to be honest though.

One of the OMP special 'bendy' lower braces?

Dan Ingram

Thats the one. I've not bothered to put it on my new car.

paul_portsmouth

yeah been out in it tonight ibm roundabout was interesting and there is something not right somewhere

Jrod

I've got a lower one for sale if you want it.

£25 if you collect.

paul_portsmouth

already got one in the post mate

couple of weeks and should have the top and some coilovers

pdd144c

Lower one works, top one does next to nothing...

VisaGTi16v

I have seen these lower ones on ebay but I cant work out where they bolt in. Clearly I am being stupid but a simple description would be good :lol:

GLPoomobile

Isn't funny how the opinions on strut braces is so divided? :lol:

I've a question - has anyone bought one of those cheap alloy top braces from eBay? The ones that are from a seller in Belgium for about £30, are non adjustable, and have red end plates. Just wondered if they are any good or as cheap as the price. The one on my other 205 (presumably an Omp) interferes with the bonnet so thinking of replacing it.

Rippthrough
I have seen these lower ones on ebay but I cant work out where they bolt in. Clearly I am being stupid but a simple description would be good :lol:

Front wishbone bolts:

th_IMGP0416.jpg

Atari Boy

What about rear strut braces. I have only ever seen one person selling them. Is that beacuase they are a bit leftfield or just plain rubbish?

Super Josh
What about rear strut braces. I have only ever seen one person selling them. Is that beacuase they are a bit leftfield or just plain rubbish?

A 205 doesn't have rear struts, because it has a rear torsion beam instead. So no need for a rear strut brace :lol:

welshpug

i think the clue is in the name there, Rear STRUT braces :lol:

Rippthrough
Isn't funny how the opinions on strut braces is so divided? :lol:

I've a question - has anyone bought one of those cheap alloy top braces from eBay? The ones that are from a seller in Belgium for about £30, are non adjustable, and have red end plates. Just wondered if they are any good or as cheap as the price. The one on my other 205 (presumably an Omp) interferes with the bonnet so thinking of replacing it.

The E-tech style ones?

Look a bit bendy to be of any use to me.

tidypug

I noticed a bit sharper turn in with a top brace,

also handy to lean on when your working in the engine bay.

Super Josh

Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again :D Unless you fit Grp N top mounts, then a top strut brace is useless. The standard top mount rubbers have far more give in them and will allow the suspension geometry to alter a lot more than will be compensated for by having a strut brace.

Josh

VisaGTi16v

Cheers Rippthrough, makes sense now :D

sutol
. The standard top mount rubbers have far more give in them and will allow the suspension geometry to alter a lot more than will be compensated for by having a strut brace.

Josh

Now THAT makes a lot of sense to me.

I know a chap who put a brace bar in the boot of his track day 205 ! :D

Sign in to follow this