• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest chownr

Best Tyres?

Guest chownr

Need some new boots for my 1.6. What are peoples preferences in the shoe department? Value for money? Best outright grip? etc

Really after a good gripping tyre that is progressive when it starts to slide. Intend doing a few small road rallies so dont really want to reduce profile. All comments gratefully appreciated

Rich

Doof

Eagle F1's seem to be the favourites but are expensive at around 45 quid a tyre for 195x50x15's. If you do a search on the forum you'll find plenty of threads about tyres. Search button is top right if you hadn't spotted it.

Guest ScoobyJawa

Eagle F1's are without doubt the best sports tyres you can buy at the moment. I've tried loads of tyres over the years and the F1's are top, only rivalled by S02's which are no longer made - well worth the money.

205man

for something a bit cheaper try toyo proxises or yokohama a539 (fitted on mine)

C_W

Eagle F1's are without doubt the best sports tyres you can buy at the moment. I've tried loads of tyres over the years and the F1's are top, only rivalled by S02's which are no longer made - well worth the money.

[saving my keyboard] :unsure:

www.Topgear.com sell them under £40 each.

Toyo Proxies seem fine but I found them a bit numb (though they were brand new) and I have to say the GSD3 F1s have superb steering feel and response.

I can't recommend Yokohama road tyres. A539s are OK but nothing special especially in the wet. I have some Yokohama AVS Sports and they are not very confident inspiring in the wet, are ok in the dry but have poor feel.

205man

yeah i should have mentioned the wet with the yokos they seem to be good in the dry (not tried them on the track yet) but they do make you concentrate in the wet, i found that you drive them thinking you got grip then suddenly you havent but if you know then you wont push it to hard when its wet

Guest ScoobyJawa

LOL @ C W :D Ya cheeky git, did I forget to mention what I put was copyright? :unsure:

:D

Guest puggti

Where in Top Gear can i get These Tyres from, i cant find them in there?!?!

Guest CB-Dave

Is it ok to run 195x50s?

I was under the impression that the GTi was 185x55x15, in which case this: "Goodyear 185/55R15 EAG F1 GSD2 82V £62.04" would be the right tyre. Still cheaper than some places (I've seen £95 per corner for yokos in 185x55x15 fitment)

jonah

I've been told that F1's aren't ideal for road rallying because their tread pattern makes them hopeless if there's any mud on the road. A mate recommended Goodyear NCT3 (I think) for road rallies, which are apparently the same compound as the F1's but with a blockier tread pattern.

Have used Bridgestone RE720's and Pirelli P6000's myself - RE720's are excellent, really effective in the wet, only weakness I've noticed is a bit of trouble with straight-line braking in the dry. P6000's are very good in the dry, but I'm not impressed with them in the wet.

Guest ScoobyJawa

CB-Dave

Its fine to run 195 50, and as you see they are vastly cheaper :D

Me - I run 195 50 15 Eagle F1 GSD3 and the grip is fooking superb in all conditions :wacko:

Guest CB-Dave

Sweet, I've got to replace my fronts cos one is cracking badly, so I may as well replace all of the buggers for that price!

Wet weather grip with the ones I've got at the minute is utter utter toss - and with all the crap weather we've had lately it's been 'interesting' keeping it on the road. Plus I don't even know what tyres I have cos the sidewall has cracked so much. I can just see that they're 185x55x15s!

Guest himbigchief

For 195-50-15 Toyo Proxes, check www.mytyres.net !

I got 2 for less than £70 delivered!

They are ridiculously cheap, and Dave, you can get Dunc or Chrissy P to fit them for you at work! That's where I got mine fit anyway! :D

James

NickR
P6000's are very good in the dry, but I'm not impressed with them in the wet.

I pretty much agree.. Toyo Proxies are better in the dry and far better in the wet.

Guest puggti

so u reckon i shud get Goodyear 195/50R15 GSD3 82V ?

Guest labrat

Another vote for the F1's. I have been using then for the last 6 months and somewhat surprisingly find them even better than my previous Bridgestone SO2pp's ... which I thought were awsome !

Guest Hallsy

OK, so to bring this subject up again......

.... i need some new tyres for front (checked the other dau and both outside edges on fronts are v bald!!), any how they have Bridgestone RE720 on them now,

BUT

which do people reckon are better,

Eagle F1's (if so which type, at least ti thought they chnaged type ne how??)

or

Bridgestone Potenza RE720?

195/45 15 by the way.

Guest puggti

Id like to know this too, i need to know what they are called so i can order them!

Thanks

Pug

Guest ScoobyJawa

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's any time of the day, week, year. Best tyres on sale at the moment.

Edited by ScoobyJawa

Guest Hallsy

OK, sounds good, beside i fancy a change!

How much should i be looking at roughly per corner for F1's? 195/45 15.

Sign in to follow this