• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

How To Undo The 19mm Nut

steve@cornwall
Ruber bung Hmmmmmmmmmmm

It wouldnt happen to look like the rubber bung thats horrizontally through the hole in the side of the spedo cable in the pic below?

GearBoxOilLeakArea005.jpg

no, that one should be where it is. It's just a little cap that's missing, like most of them are

TaffyTim

ok, does the bung on the spedo do anything, or is it just there to play with when you get bored?

pug_ham
ok, does the bung on the spedo do anything, or is it just there to play with when you get bored?

Yes, it holds the speedo cable into the gearbox.

Graham.

lagonda

Another trick with the tight gearbox plug would be to hold the flat face of a hammer against the head and then give that a few whacks with another hammer, as if you're trying to bang it into the box. Obviously use common sense as the gearbox & threads are aluminium, but this might help shock it free, especially if there is a copper washer there, as that will compress slightly, releasing the load on the plug. As suggested, perfect job for an impact driver.

The cap on the breather is a cream/ white conical plastic item. It just clips over the top, so would be fairly easy to find something to replace it if the original is lost. Just remember the purpose of the cap is to stop dirt & water getting into the gearbox, whilst allowing air in/out. Just plugging the hole could lead to oil blowing past the driveshaft seals.

TaffyTim
Just remember the purpose of the cap is to stop dirt & water getting into the gearbox, whilst allowing air in/out. Just plugging the hole could lead to oil blowing past the driveshaft seals.

How does that work?? If the cap is ontop of the nut wouldnt the nut be stopping all air movements?

My main oil spray could be coming from a driveshaft seal as when i clean the oil spray the middle driveshaft underneath the spedo cable is always fully coated in oil.

pug_ham
How does that work?? If the cap is ontop of the nut wouldnt the nut be stopping all air movements?

Its only a push in plastic cap & doesn't form any type of a seal in the cap so it allows the gearbox to breath through it.

Graham.

post-71-1177852357.jpg

Edited by pugtorque

TaffyTim
Its only a push in plastic cap & doesn't form any type of a seal in the cap so it allows the gearbnox to breath through it.

Graham.

That still is confusing for me because the 19mm nut that is in the side of my gearbox is solid.

Should this nut have a hole in it (like the 17mm breather ontop of the box) so the cap can fit into the hole?

pug_ham
Should this nut have a hole in it (like the 17mm breather ontop of the box) so the cap can fit into the hole?

No, its a very fine thread but it shouldn't be that tight.

If you accurately measure the 2l it needs to fill the gearbox you don't need to get that side bolt undone imo. I haven't used it as a level plug on my cars for a while now.

Graham.

TaffyTim

ok the air comes through the thread, thanks Graham

Sign in to follow this