• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Livelee

[trackday_prep] 309 Mi16 Trackcar

Livelee
I hope there are no hand brake turn marks in the grass! :ph34r:

I managed some yesterday:

2271588931_55e16d77b9_b.jpg

Overshadowed by a friend and his Mk1 though ;)

2271554789_316a8d186e_b.jpg

Pics from us arsing around here:

http://flickr.com/photos/trottski/

base-1
The servo hose is attached to a vacuum on the cam hosing thingy on the end of the engine. Are you suggesting this is wrong? The 1st thing i'm going to try after tomorrow is attaching the servo to the manifold somehow. How is this usually done on a 306 inlet?

I'm not sure about GTi-6 stuff TBH, hence the first sentence of my post lol. Just doesn't look right, I can't see an obvious way it gets a vacuum, unless it generates one from the motion of the cam or something?

Nice photos :angry:

Miles

The vacume pump should be enough as this is what Derv's use, Only thing is das it been connected correctly with the drive on the Cam?

Or a easy way is pull out the plastic valve to see if you get a burst of air coming out

Livelee
The vacume pump should be enough as this is what Derv's use, Only thing is das it been connected correctly with the drive on the Cam?

No idea, you built it :angry:

Or a easy way is pull out the plastic valve to see if you get a burst of air coming out

If there's no vaccum then is there anywhere I could take one from the manifold?

Miles

But did I fit the Vacume pump??

But on the inlet there is take off just by the TB, This noramlly connects to the servo via the pump

Livelee
But did I fit the Vacume pump??

But on the inlet there is take off just by the TB, This noramlly connects to the servo via the pump

No idea. There is some sucking from the pipe as I took it off tonight and stuck my finger over the end. Not what i'd call great though. I've been told to test the servo pump the brakes up and then keep them down and start the car. The peddle should go down as the servo assists. Well it dosen't.

Anyway, after the rolling road session I doubt i'll need brakes. It's best was 90bhp atw @ 4250rpm. :-( That's how far we got before the water system breather* blew clean out of housing :-( It seems to be a press fit. Is it needed? Can I just thread the hole and wack a bolt in it?

Miles, have you got any spark tables for engines similar to mine? I'd like to show my mapper.

*The T piece you can see above the throttle cable and below the blue disconnected plug in the engine bay shot.

Edited by Livelee

Livelee

If the car had held together, then extrapolating the graph, it should have made around 140 ATW.

Miles

The only reason that's there is to bleed the system of air and allow the water back into the exp bottle, You are right it's just pressed in I think as I had one on a 106 that just spun around the other day. Thats if it;s the one I'm thinking of.

Livelee

Right, that's getting removed, threaded and a bolt stuck in the hole.

Next problem, the cam vaccum. Can I take it apart to see if it's connected properly? Like I said there is a small amount of suck coming from it, does this mean it's working or could it suck a little even if it was not working? I can't see anywhere on the manifold that's providing any suction apart from the idle pipe.

If it's the servo that's buggered is there anyway this can be proved?

Edited by Livelee

Miles

I;ve just taken one off today (Pump that is) and even turning over by hand there is or sounds like a fair bit of passing air, if you need another one let me know.

The servo should hold a vacume which if leaking again you should be able to hear it, I've found a couple know and not the nicest of things to swap with the engine in

Livelee

I'll give you a bell tomorrow Miles.

Cheers

Dan.

Livelee

I've fixed the brakes. :D It was the rubber seal between the MC and the servo. :) Rplaced it with a nice new one and we have servo assistance again.

Just the engine to make fast now.

Livelee
Just the engine to make fast now.

Since it's been running i've never been happy with the sound of the engine. It always sounded "wrong". Initially it was put down to the car not having a map in it.

Today I diagnosed a problem and it was that cylinder 3 was not getting any fuel. :) I got hold of my ECU guy this evening and he founf a setting that was stopping that injector from working. With that resolved it sounds alot better now, it idles properly and revs quickly.

Bearing in mind it has always been running on 3, the RR figures look encouraging. What % should I add for the missing cylinder?

I'm going to Goodwood for a trackday tomorrow, i'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Dan

Livelee

HGF on the 1st session.

VisaGTi16v

Isnt that what happened with your last engine at Brands?

Livelee

Yes, incredible isn't it? HGF is what caused the start of this project to stop HGF happening again. Some 11 1/2 months later i've done 11 track miles and have an engine with a failed HG.

Miles has no idea why it's failed. Water temps do not go above 89, rev limiter is set at 6.5k, I was short shifting and taking it easy.

We won't know much till I do a compression test and take the head off (again).

C_W

Try running a 72degree thermostat? - I have for the past 5 years now.

VisaGTi16v

Same head as before? Gasket from same place/batch as previous one suggesting faulty? Need to see where its blown if in same place etc. 82C stat should be fine, I did a track day at Brands with my Mi16 that has a bx 16v radiator (smaller than 205 diesel ones I believe) and although the temp was showing 90 ish it was fine and it was 7k+ on every change.

There is the possibility your temperature gauge is completely wrong as it is PSA afterall, I compared about 4 different ones in my Visa and all read different so it may actually be a lot higher than 89.

Bad news regardless :lol:

Livelee

Yes the same head as the previous failure on the 1.9, but it had been cleaned up, valve seals replaced and then skimmed via Miles.

The previous gasket was from DES well over a year ago. This gasket was purchased either from QEP or via Miles (I can't rememebr) So no chance of them being the same.

The water temp is coming from the ECU, but yes we are using the Citroen sender.

I'll keep things updated on here.

Cheers.

Dan.

Livelee

I'm going to knock it on the head. Parts for sale thread will be up as soon as the mods approve it.

Looks like something went wrong ecu wise rather than mechanically. The engine was probably pinking and this caused the rings to go on cyl 2 and 3, along with the HG.

Edited by Livelee

boombang

Sorry to hear this mate, was looking forward to hearing how it all went and hopefully seeing the car in action again.

Gutting when it all goes wrong though, the car I bought to replace this turned out to be rotting from the inside out, the shell to replace that not as good as hoped (although now mint!), and the "weekend toy" to drive whilst finishing the current project is off the road and no time to sort it!

Livelee

Cheers. Sometimes things are not meant to be and you just have to move on.