• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Livelee

[trackday_prep] 309 Mi16 Trackcar

Miles

LOL, Depends on how often you want to rebuild it, When I did mine it ran for about 30mins before going to 8500rpm, Lasted a season before a rod came out but only due to a bolt failure, But the remaining bearings where badly worn so it's worth checking them when ever you can really

Baz

Progress is good to hear, need more pics!! :unsure:

Livelee
LOL, Depends on how often you want to rebuild it, When I did mine it ran for about 30mins before going to 8500rpm, Lasted a season before a rod came out but only due to a bolt failure, But the remaining bearings where badly worn so it's worth checking them when ever you can really

Depends on how often I want you to rebuild it i think you mean. I'll give it longer than 30 mins :unsure: The more the better, right. I've got s*it oil in it, how often should I change it before putting some good stuff in?

Progress is good to hear, need more pics!! :D

What would you like to see? It still looks like a ropey 309 :lol:

Edited by Livelee

Miles

I would give it a couple of hours running at average RPM whist varying the RPM's as sitting at the same speed does not help the running in process,

I would give it a oil change now still with some mineral oil as the first lot will get rid of all the assembly grease etc so it will come out black (well pretty much)

Get the power figures up ASAP if you can

Livelee
Progress is good to hear, need more pics!! :lol:

As requested I decided to take some shots of the beautiful run in location.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Engine in a car shot, original eh?

7.jpg

I'm quite pleased with this though, look at the gap between the MC and the engine. The brake plate mod was a good and worthwhile one I feel.

8.jpg

She's starting to show some potential now as i'm dialing in more revs.

It has a steady(ish) idle now. Oil pressure is 75psi cold and 30psi hot. Is this "good"?

Thanks

Dan

24seven

is that GTi-6 manifold longer or shorter than the Mi16 one? I've got a 6 one to go on my 306, but on my 205 the inlet fouls the radiator quite badly, so if the 6 one is shorter I'll put it on my 205 instead.

pug309twin40s

you need to make some brackets to hold those coils down otherwise they could shake loose..

felix2566

24 seven,

309's have a bit longer fronts so do not have the clearance issues like 205's do. When I mocked up where my rad was going to go I had loads of room.

Livelee
you need to make some brackets to hold those coils down otherwise they could shake loose..

I have the standard cover. I've noticed the coils are quite lose so yes i'll attached the cover.

309's have a bit longer fronts so do not have the clearance issues like 205's do. When I mocked up where my rad was going to go I had loads of room.

That explains a lot. I've always read of clearance problems but mine has loads of room between the inlet and rad.

Edited by Livelee

pug309twin40s

dont fit the standard coil cover!! either cut it down so you have 4 strips to hold down the coils or make up strips of metal to hold them down.

With the standard cover on there isnt anywhere for air to get rounds the coils to cool them and they get very hot stuck under the standard cover and thats why they fail so quickly.

24seven
24 seven,

yeah I wish I had the same clearance at the front my my engine bay. as it is the rad is constantly against the inlet manifold, and is actually being pushed there by the cowling. Was just wondering if the Mi16 inlet was shorter than the Gti6 one as I can't measure mine because they're 150miles away at home. might see if I can get a slimmer rad in there and some slimline fans to go with it.

Livelee
dont fit the standard coil cover!! either cut it down so you have 4 strips to hold down the coils or make up strips of metal to hold them down.

With the standard cover on there isnt anywhere for air to get rounds the coils to cool them and they get very hot stuck under the standard cover and thats why they fail so quickly.

OK, thanks. I will get the angle grinder out this weekend :D

Project make it pretty will begin once project make it go fast is complete. Rolling road has been booked for Monday 18th and she'll be used in anger at Goodwood on the 25th.

Livelee

Oh, I will measure the 1.9 mi inlet and the 306 inlet this weekend for you.

VisaGTi16v

Funny looking roads you have on the Isle of White. Look similar to what us mainlanders know as fields :D

Livelee

"White" :D

They may look like fields, but it is in fact a top secret testing and development site. :D

Edited by Livelee

VisaGTi16v

ah yes wight, spelt it as whight first which looked even more wrong

I hope there are no hand brake turn marks in the grass! :D

Livelee

Nope, plenty of straight on understeering ruts though.

base-1

Looking good, nice project :)

It has a steady(ish) idle now. Oil pressure is 75psi cold and 30psi hot. Is this "good"?

Yes it is

24seven
Oh, I will measure the 1.9 mi inlet and the 306 inlet this weekend for you.

thanks.

Livelee
thanks.

The gti-6 one is about 14" / 14.5" The 1.9 alloy mi one is touching 16"

Livelee

Had some more running in this weekend. All going well. We're upto 5k now and I can feel the potential coming. Rolling road booked for tomorrow. So i'll have some results (good I hope).

With the engine showing signs of being done there's naturally something else causing a problem. It's the brakes. I did a full fluid flush / replacement today combined with a bleed. The pedal is firm but there is no bite to the brakes. Could it be the servo? How can I test if it's working? What about the vacuum? I've attached the hose to the vacuum on the end of the cam housing (as seen in the engine bay shot).

base-1

At the risk of looking like a prick......

Is that actually a manifold connection? Looks more like an oil breather or something - if it is then the servo isn't seeing any manifold pressure, which means there's no assistance from it

Livelee

The servo hose is attached to a vacuum on the cam hosing thingy on the end of the engine. Are you suggesting this is wrong? The 1st thing i'm going to try after tomorrow is attaching the servo to the manifold somehow. How is this usually done on a 306 inlet?

Edited by Livelee

24seven
The gti-6 one is about 14" / 14.5" The 1.9 alloy mi one is touching 16"

cheers. might be worth fitting it then.