• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
309PUG

Corner Weight Scales

309PUG

I have just had time to put my car on the scales and was very pleased with the dry weight of the car, it includes about 3/4 tank of fuel

780Kg :) this will equate to about 750 Kg with just a gallon in

Is this the lightest 309 ??

Lets not get carried away though, the cross weight doesn't look too good but the left to right are OK and obviously the front to back is about 60/40.

These are all dry weights, we (Paintguy and I) are going to repeat it tomorrow with me in the car and try to adjust the balance as best we can.

Update tomorrow

Chris

smckeown

superb!

But it's not dry weight if its got fuel in it etc ? Mine's 760 with my current setup with 1/8 of a normal tank (which is what i have in there when on track).

I have plenty of plans to reduce this, I could get it down to 748kgs if i fitted all the bits i have currently for it

Paintguy

Blimey!

If your BHP estimate is about right, then that'll give you an even better BHP/tonne than you were hoping for :huh:

Mind you, once you get in it...... :)

Batfink

whats the spec of the car. I have this crazy idea that I can get a caged 205 under 700kg lol. Is the dry weight with no engine oil and no water?

Edited by Batfink

309PUG
whats the spec of the car. I have this crazy idea that I can get a caged 205 under 700kg lol. Is the dry weight with no engine oil and no water?

The total weight is including engine. oils / water etc, the car is strictly for competion and is not road legal. Probably a bad term from me 'dry weight' all I meant was the car excluding the driver.

Chris

Sandy

Not bad at all!

309PUG

Right here are the results :-

Without Driver _ With Driver

LF 197 276 RF _ LF 204 314 RF

LR 188 118 RR _ LR 205 150 RR

Total = 780Kg _ Total = 872Kg

Think the driver needs to go on a diet !!

Thanks to Andy (Paintguy) who helped with proceedings, but we were both puzzled as to why the RF figure was so high :wacko: Anyone else care to throw any light on the matter ???

Chris

Edited by 309PUG

smckeown

is left near side or off side ? Might be better to list NS and OS rather than left and right

brianthemagical
Thanks to Andy (Paintguy) who helped with proceedings, but we were both puzzled as to why the RF figure was so high Anyone else care to throw any light on the matter ???

thats where the engine is? as the engine is right over to the right i would have thought it would be making that side heavier, assuming the gearbox doesn't counteract it. what about steering stuff, pedal box, roll cage non-symmetrical to offer more protection to driver?

Paintguy
is left near side or off side ?

Yes, left means nearside on these gauges. It's just how they are labelled up, referencing from siting in the drivers seat :wacko:

So it's OSF that's the unusually high reading. We swapped some of the scales around to make sure it wasn't just one of them reading incorrectly.

Our only other thought was that maybe the floor was uneven, slightly higher to the OSF, which would shift extra weight onto that wheel. But since the readings were taken on a concrete floor in a relatively new house, we didn't think it could be that far out.

If we'd had the room, maybe turning the car round the other way and taking an average might have helped?

Paintguy

So before I took the scales back today, I thought I'd put my overweight mobile disco on, and see just how much I've added to it. On reserve fuel, it was 989Kg :D With me in it - 1074Kg!

Oh the sacrifices we make for our individual hobbies :)

Rippthrough
So before I took the scales back today, I thought I'd put my overweight mobile disco on, and see just how much I've added to it. On reserve fuel, it was 989Kg :o With me in it - 1074Kg!

Oh the sacrifices we make for our individual hobbies :D

:):D

My 306 is only 1064kg (ok, without me in it, but still...)

Paintguy
:):D

My 306 is only 1064kg (ok, without me in it, but still...)

No wonder it feels a little lethargic :D

I suppose I can console myself with the fact that all that weight in the boot has balanced it out a bit. Front - Rear is 58.4%, Left - Right is 49.6%

Rippthrough
No wonder it feels a little lethargic :D

I suppose I can console myself with the fact that all that weight in the boot has balanced it out a bit. Front - Rear is 58.4%, Left - Right is 49.6%

So less traction too :):D

Craigb
So before I took the scales back today, I thought I'd put my overweight mobile disco on, and see just how much I've added to it. On reserve fuel, it was 989Kg ;) With me in it - 1074Kg!

Thats about the same as mine in full road rally trim .

smckeown
So before I took the scales back today, I thought I'd put my overweight mobile disco on, and see just how much I've added to it. On reserve fuel, it was 989Kg ;) With me in it - 1074Kg!

I bet there's 50kgs of filler in that car :o only kidding sport :D

tom_m

according to the new style mot that weighs your car mine comes in at 944kg with stonking 70/30% bias front to rear!!!

thats with no interior bar a pair of cobra imola's and the dash :D

PumaRacing
Thats about the same as mine in full road rally trim .

That's not so bad for a car with a mill, lathe, valve seat refacer and an engineer in the boot.

Sandy
I bet there's 50kgs of filler in that car :D only kidding sport :D

The company I used to work for made an epoxy filler with 0.6kg/litre specific weight, the only suitable competitor for most applications was 1.4kg/litre. On a superyacht job we did in Devonport it saved them several tonnes!

Edited by sandy309

Paintguy
I bet there's 50kgs of filler in that car :D only kidding sport :D

Yeah, but the filler weighs less than all the rusted away steel it replaced.

Definitely just kidding! :D

averyaaron1979

can i ask what you have done to the 309 to get it to that weight?? as i am currently building a 309 sprint/ hillcimber and i did not think that weight was possible??

so far i have removed literally everything i could and keeping it road legal for the mot, though the only reason for that was due to track stipulations and believing it would be easier that logbooking it, though now i am thinking different.

thanks

aaron

Henry Yorke
Mind you, once you get in it...... ;)

lol!!! I wonder is a skip is more balanced front to rear due to the thincker sills etc. the hood mechanism must weigh more than a standard boot!

Paintguy
can i ask what you have done to the 309 to get it to that weight?? as i am currently building a 309 sprint/ hillcimber and i did not think that weight was possible??

I'm sure Chris will be along to answer your question in detail, but having looked around his car, I don't think there's an ounce of surplus 'fat' anywhere!

Having the advantage of not being road legal, he's stripped out all but the essential wiring, 'plastic' windows allround (including a specially made rear hatch 'glass'), inner door skins cut out, dashboard removed, and I've seen wristwatches with larger batteries ;)

The list is endless really...

averyaaron1979

that sounds good as i have so far done most of that currently and was aiming to have the weight at around 800 to 850... i am going to have a custom made carbon fibre rear tailgate and fitted with 4mm poly window to lose that all important weight.

i have poly windows so far, no door inards, battery has been removed and relocated and due to have the smallest battery i can get away with. i have removed everything i can get away with so far and still looking for more ideas on where i can lose those extra pounds.

currently burning off the underseal in an attempt to lose some more weight..

would love to get the 309 down to the same weight...

i take it the 309 is log booked then for use on tracks??

VisaGTi16v

Thats pretty impressive. My Visa was 804kg at Snetterton with a about 2/3 tank of petrol and with no driver. Thats totally stripped out, perspex, inner door skins cut out as well, cant see how to save much more weight other than removing the roll cage but that would be silly ;)

Sign in to follow this