• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pad

Speedo Not Working

Guest Pad

Afternoon all,

I recently suffered from a knackered speedo in my CTi so naturally thought it was the cable. Have replaced it this morning and it is still not working (although it did have a little murmer as I first moved off).

I now think its the drive. Whilst I was at the main stealership this morning to get some gearbox oil I had a look at the fiche (well the PC anyway) and is seems you can take the drive out of the gearbox? I have removed the 11mm headed bolt that would appear to hold it in but cant slide it out.. is there something I am missing and has anyone replaced the drive that could give me some pointers please?

Many thanks in advance,

Pad

pug_ham

http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/2/26D15A.HTM

If you've removed the bolt that holds it into the gearbox it should come out OK, might need a twist to get it moving but otherwise easy to remove. There is an O-ring on it that might make it tighter than you expect though.

Graham.

Pugnut

i've had grief before with the cable popping off the back of the clocks again when i refit them

Guest Pad

mm, mine was properly jammed. I will give it another go tomorrow and try and twist it. If I need to get the 'tachometer screw' out presumably its a driveshaft off job?

Thanks for the advice and the exploded view.

(BTW, I am pretty sure it is not popping out the back...)

Cheers,

Pad

Guest Pad

Got it out this morning with by being a bit less dainty with it. If you have a look at the photo below though, it really doesnt look worn so I would assume that the large screw would also be ok.

DSCF0714Medium.jpg

Anyway, this tends to point to the facia? I think I might reconnect the cable whilst the gear is out and rotate it and see if I can get a helper to see a flicker on the speedo.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Cheers

Pad

pug_ham
If I need to get the 'tachometer screw' out presumably its a driveshaft off job?
Yes, drain gearbox oil, remove driveshaft to get that part of the speedo drive off.
I think I might reconnect the cable whilst the gear is out and rotate it and see if I can get a helper to see a flicker on the speedo.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Sounds like the best next step if you don't have a spare set of clocks. Either that or drive the car along your street with the gearbox end connected 7 the clocks removed to see if its turning as it should.

Graham.

gti_al

Have you tried using a drill to spin the gearbox end... if it works you know that end is responsible.

mrblonde

where did you get the speedo drive from please as i need a nerw one thanks,part number would help to please.thanks.

Sign in to follow this