• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

New 2l Race Engine

petert

This is the 2L race engine I've been building for the past two years. I finally fired it up briefly to run the cams in, then I'll run it in on the dyno after I've finished the air box. I doubt it's going to crack 239hp like Colin's however, in it's current spec.! If it pulls through 210 I'll be more than happy as it currently has a hydraulic head, limited to 7500. After this coming season I'll put the big solid head on and lift the limit. For the tech heads, here's the spec.:

2L block

nitrided 86mm crank

forged pistons, 11.8:1

big valve 1.9L head

48mm TB's

GTi6 extractors

Autronic ECU

M&W CDI

post-2864-1172286891_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1172286937_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

Sandy

Looking good Peter, I like the coil packs! I'll look forward to seeing how it does.

Ahl

Looks good peter, good luck with it. What octane fuel will it be running on?

petert
What octane fuel will it be running on?

our local leaded avgas. Typically 108 octane.

Edited by cybernck

pug_ham
our local leaded avgas. Typically 118 octane.
I can get Avgas at work :(, 100LL (low lead). Used to be cheaper than pump fuel. :(

Spec sound good, be interesting to see what power & torque it makes.

Graham.

smckeown

in the first pic the engine looks to be dropping on the near side ? If you compare it to the strut brace.

I like the way you have mounted the coil packs, i'll have to let des know about that to see if he can do the same with my v8 coil packs :D

Sexy trumpets, am hoping to get mine anozised along with my spacers very soon for the same tarty effect :D

What's a M&W CDI ?

petert

I've checked the engine with a spirit level. The gearbox mount is adjustable. The strut brace is highest in the middle of the car. M&W are local manufacturers of the Rolls Royce of ignition systems. They supply to Motec. I have a Pro-14, a four channel unit, fed from the four ignition outputs out of the Autronic ECU.

http://www.mwignitions.com/

I made a typo with the avgas. It's 108 RON.

Edited by petert

david932
:( looks lush, what bodys are they?

david932

what are these like then price wise compared to the other manufacturers? are all body pretty much the same with a different brand name or are some better than other?

petert

They're approx. AUS$550 each from memory and ram tubes $60 each. Much the same as any quality TB. The best ones have roller bearings on the spindles.

david932

cheers. i am debating a tb setup but all i ever seem to see is jenvy set ups, altho im aware theres quite a few other manufacturers. are 48mm made for top end power or do they have much low down or mid range grunt?

petert

It seems like an eternity, but I finally got it on the dyno today. The intention was to run it in rather than look for maximum hp. This was the first time the engine had actually turned the wheels. I was pleasantly surprised when it pulled a lazy 123kW (165hp) @ 7400 at the wheels, with a lot more to come. So once it's done a few more miles and the rings have bed in, I'll take it back to the dyno and finish tweaking it.

Here's some interesting facts:

fuel was Shell V Power Racing (100 octane, 5% ethanol)

full load advance was 25 deg.

maximum inlet lift is 9.2mm

niklas

Are the TBs and the intake manifold tapered in the same way as the trumpets?

petert

The bores of the TB's are parallel at 48mm, then the inlet manifold tapers from 48 to 42 (I think) at the head face.

I'll post the dyno sheet later, but what's really interesting is the torque curve. It's so strong and flat. Maximum of 200 occurs at approx. 6000rpm. But it makes more than 180 from 4000 right through to the limiter.

Sandy

Looking good. :wacko:

B1ack_Mi16
I'll post the dyno sheet later, but what's really interesting is the torque curve. It's so strong and flat. Maximum of 200 occurs at approx. 6000rpm.

Is that 200Nm or 200lbft?

Nice results! Can't wait to have mine dynoed now, have been out driving it and it's strong :)

petert

It was 200Nm, but I'd take the numbers/units with a grain of salt. It's all dependent on what gear it was in, diff ratio etc.

The other thing I forgot to mention it's has a 2.25" exhaust system. You see so many people putting oversized exhausts on 2L engines.

I can't wait to put the big solid head on! But I'll leave that now until after the racing season.

B1ack_Mi16
It was 200Nm, but I'd take the numbers/units with a grain of salt. It's all dependent on what gear it was in, diff ratio etc.

The other thing I forgot to mention it's has a 2.25" exhaust system. You see so many people putting oversized exhausts on 2L engines.

I can't wait to put the big solid head on! But I'll leave that now until after the racing season.

Ah, so you're running hydraulic tappets also now and std valves?

I put a 2.5" system on my 2.3 engine, but aiming at 250bhp that might be a wise choice, or not?

It doesn't make any noise with the new 2.5" exhaust, just inlet that's completely insane.

JeffR

Impressive effort Peter-especially after my tame effort (147hp atw @7400rpm) :)

... then the inlet manifold tapers from 48 to 42 (I think) at the head face.

Have you opened up the head ports to 42mm as well?

Jeff

petert
Ah, so you're running hydraulic tappets also now and std valves?

Hydraulic with 36.5mm inlets. That's why the self impossed 7400 rev limit.

Have you opened up the head ports to 42mm as well?

I think so. I had to clean up someone else's poor work.

Edited by petert

eeyore

nice work, im doing a similar speck engine at the mo, should be on the dyno next week il put the results up. ;)

midnight motorsport
Hydraulic with 36.5mm inlets. That's why the self impossed 7400 rev limit.

I think so. I had to clean up someone else's poor work.

hi there, do you think that the 7400 is a safe limit as i have heard of people still going to 8000 on htdraulic lifters and balanced stock crank, any views on this would be good as this is what i intend to take mine too, cheers

petert

I know for a fact that they pump up at 7500 under sustained RPM. A quick traffic light blap might be ok for more, but not down the main straight. 7400 is the Mi16x4 limit so I'll stick with that until I put the solid head on. What hydraulic grind will make power to 8000 anyway?

DrSarty

Would someone give me/us a very quick, idiots' summary of coil packs please and how they are either necessary or advantageous for this ^^^ engine.

Reason is, I currently have a plan to lose my alloy block, construct a 'Black Mi16'/'PeterT' and other wizards' type 2.3L iron block using a diesel, unmod'd crank, and fuel it with a GTi6 inlet system (perhaps with a VAG widened TB) complete on a PeterT recommended mappable ECU. Maniflow as is if man enough and your oil surge sump 'fix'.

I am firmly in the camp of "no replacement for displacement" AND LOVE ENGINES LIKE THIS. Top notch Pete. Would your stage 1 cam I have run ok on the above possible design, i.e. a head swap complete?

Beautiful engine too by the way. <_<

DrS :rolleyes:

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this