• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joni

K And N Fitment To 1.9 Gti

GLPoomobile
I got a K&N from Halfords yesterday for a fiver. Was going to fit it before a trackday next week, but now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone run a standard airbox with no filter element in it for a trackday before? It's an airfield, so most of the run-off area is tarmac, so no danger of getting gravel/dust in it.

Also, has anyone got a picture they could post of a K&N installed correctly? I want to make sure I've all the tubing and connectors I need.

..162,800 miles and still going strong...for now

It won;t be going for much longer if you run without a filter :angry:

fulani
It won;t be going for much longer if you run without a filter :angry:

Really? Even on an airfield track with no dust or bits to get in there..?

Guest larson
But is there not an air temperature sensor so that the ECU knows the charge temperature?

Yes, air temp sensor is an internal part of AFM. And ECU indeed makes little corrections to fuel mixture based on the data provided by this sensor.

GLPoomobile

There are going to be airbourne contaminents any where you go. Air filters would not be constructed to filter out such small particles if this was not the case.

Better to be safe than sorry.

hengti

airfield days are the worst for litter in my experience - there's loads of spare tarmac/concrete 'off line' which will likely be covered in loose gravel/tyre 'baubles'

i've run mine without an air filter (just take the trunking off between the filter housing and the AFM) on sprints (100s max per run - four per meeting) but wouldn't ever consider it on a full track day

david932

i wouldn't risk it, if 1 tiny stone(unlikely i know!) finds it's way into your engine you could have a potential scrapper

fulani

All these people that say "K&N doesn't make any difference to power" - has this been actually tested? Like on a rolling road?

Surely if it makes "a nicer noise" that implies more air is getting through?

hengti
All these people that say "K&N doesn't make any difference to power" - has this been actually tested? Like on a rolling road?

Surely if it makes "a nicer noise" that implies more air is getting through?

the nicer noise is just induction roar, which is kept to a minimum by the standard filter canister and trunking; it doesn't necessarily mean that the engine is taking more air

i've never used a K&N on a 205, but i think it's fairly widely accepted that they don't do much for power - just as exhaust systems don't. there is probably something to be said for the extra noise though, which can increase the sensation of speed

stick it on and see what happens - don't know what they sound like on a 205, but they've sounded quite nice on some of the minis i've fitted them to

Sign in to follow this