• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joni

K And N Fitment To 1.9 Gti

joni

I have a K and N with the linking pipes etc which i could fit to my 205 gti 1.9 and would allow the air to go straight into the inlet manifold rather than turning through a number of degrees etc.

So i wondered if i do fit it do i need to get the car set up afterwards or can i just put it on? Also if i do fit it where should i mount the power steering header tank which is currently located behind the nearside headlight.

Guest mrtcotton

Mine hasnt been tuned/altered in anyway.

My battery is now inside the car, but the power steering resevoir has just been cable tied to a custom made bracket over the battery tray.

Move to anywhere where there is room, just keep it upright :unsure:

sorr

I would not bother fitting it. My car ran far better with the standard stuff than it did with a K&N, it developed a nasty fuel drinking habit. That is not to says yours will be the same as others run them without issue.

joni

So are you saying that in order that the engine runs correctly with the K and N induction kit i won't need to get the car retuned or anything?

Will the ECU automatically adjust?

I'm not bothered about a small increase in fuel consumption as long as power is increased.

jackherer
I'm not bothered about a small increase in fuel consumption as long as power is increased.

You wont get ANY power from an air filter unless your old one is dirty and blocked. The only advantage to a k&n is better access to the engine when working on it.

Grim.Badger

It shouldn't increase power, infact as you are shortening the inlet track you will alter your power band; although I think it's less noticable than changing trumpet lengths on ITBs.

The AFM will still measure air flow and it is that which the ECU uses to judge the amount of fuel needed so no tuning should be needed. However as the shortened and staightened inlet track will alter the way in which air enters the AFM/Throttle Body/Plenum Chamber (more/less turbulence) I guess it could throw the calibration out a bit as you may get a different amount of air and still move the AFM sensor/gate the same amount (I know what I mean even if no-one else does :unsure: ).

I have heard it said that the bends in the original inlet tracks can decrease turbulance and therefore effectively increase air flow, but I'm not sure if that's rubbish.

Peugeot spent a lot more money developing the original air box and piping than K&N did on theirs.

smckeown

I read that there's a better flow of cold air from the rear of the engine rather poor supply of hot ait from behind the headlight

Faz85
I would not bother fitting it. My car ran far better with the standard stuff than it did with a K&N, it developed a nasty fuel drinking habit. That is not to says yours will be the same as others run them without issue.

I agree with sorr, dont bother. Mine runs a lot smoother since i got rid of the K&N and replaced it with the standard induction kit. As others have said, the only real advantage is that access is improved to the engine bay.

IMO, the standard pipework is designed with the AFM in mind, and the pipework helps control the characteristics of the intake air, such as temperature and density. The way i understand what grimbadger is saying is; With a K&N + Cold air intake, the air will be at a lower temperature, therefore will be more dense. However, the vane inside the AFM will have moved by roughly the same amount, as the volume of air will be almost unchanged. Therefore the amount of air will have increased because of the higher density, but the fuelling would be out of sync, and the engine will run lean.

Faz

joni

Well thats that then. looks like a k and n induction kit will be on ebay shortly! cheers.

Doof
I agree with sorr, dont bother. Mine runs a lot smoother since i got rid of the K&N and replaced it with the standard induction kit. As others have said, the only real advantage is that access is improved to the engine bay.

IMO, the standard pipework is designed with the AFM in mind, and the pipework helps control the characteristics of the intake air, such as temperature and density. The way i understand what grimbadger is saying is; With a K&N + Cold air intake, the air will be at a lower temperature, therefore will be more dense. However, the vane inside the AFM will have moved by roughly the same amount, as the volume of air will be almost unchanged. Therefore the amount of air will have increased because of the higher density, but the fuelling would be out of sync, and the engine will run lean.

Faz

But is there not an air temperature sensor so that the ECU knows the charge temperature?

max0

another plus to the K&N is that its washable and can be re oiled etc. Never fitted one to a 205

pip470

Can i say that any performance air filter maynot give a noticable power increase but a poorly fitted one will definatly lose you power. For example i bough a 1.6 gti with a piper x filter connected to the end of the standard airpipe where the box usually is, right over the exhaust. now for whatever reason i had a k and n kit lying around so i fitted that which sits behind the headlight. The differance was incredible instead of breathing all the hot air rising from the exhaust and having to compensate with more fuel the engine was being suplied with cooler air. Plus the induction roar was increased which was a bonus. Just fit it and enjoy

Grim.Badger
But is there not an air temperature sensor so that the ECU knows the charge temperature?

No there isn't :(

I've washed the standard foam filter by hand before. The glue sometimes comes undone but I just sewed it back together ;) I also find that just driving on the road makes a filter nice and oily without having to add any :wacko:

kyepan

you could always buy a replacement standard element from K&N.. these have better flow charachtaristics, and still keep all the cold air from the back of the engine, and preserve the inlet lenght.

christopher
you could always buy a replacement standard element from K&N.. these have better flow charachtaristics, and still keep all the cold air from the back of the engine, and preserve the inlet lenght.

After running a 57i kit for a while I went this way too finally . The element only costs £30 or something like that

johno_78
I've washed the standard foam filter by hand before. The glue sometimes comes undone but I just sewed it back together I also find that just driving on the road makes a filter nice and oily without having to add any

you have to add the oil to filters or small particles of dirt and grease will pass through the filter. i found this out the hard way with my van, as the air mass meter was damaged and cost £80 to replace.

richard

How opinions change over the years....

I have a K&N 57i and i like it. Doesnt actually lose me any power and it definately gives it more go up the higher area of the rev range.

The 1.6 has the standard induction with a K&N internal filter that works well too...i prefer the 57i though.

TonyW

I've had KN filters on a few cars, and never noticed a great deal of difference cept the induction noise. Personally I'd go for the replacement element, everytime. Likes been said above, Pug spent alot of money designing an engine bay, I'm sure they wouldn't deliberately lose power from their cars.

GLPoomobile
Pug spent alot of money designing an engine bay, I'm sure they wouldn't deliberately lose power from their cars.

Sorry Tony, I'm not picking on the new guy here, but I hate it when people say stuff like that (tis nowt personal, I just disagree with everyone :P ). You can trot out that old argument about virtually any mod. Lets not forget that any car manufacturer has a zillion and one other things to factor in to the development besides outright performance.

I've never noticed any difference with an induction kit on a 205 Gti, but then I've only had 3 of them , and none have exactly run like they were from the factory :)

For me, the induction kit wins hands down everytime on convenience. Bloody OE induction routing is just a pain in the arse when you want to do simple jobs. It takes me about a week longer than most people to do most jobs, so I'm damned if I'm going to bugger around removing the OE setup everytime I need to get to the exhaust manifold or change spark plugs etc. With me, the OE setup comes off once, and once only. After that the little c**t doesn't go back on again :o

richard

You have such a way with words you miserable bast**d.

Mind you i do have to agree.... :)

Grim.Badger
Sorry Tony, I'm not picking on the new guy here, but I hate it when people say stuff like that (tis nowt personal, I just disagree with everyone :o ). You can trot out that old argument about virtually any mod. Lets not forget that any car manufacturer has a zillion and one other things to factor in to the development besides outright performance.

That's a fair enough point for suspension and other similar items where they had to make a trade off between performance and ride quality (surpisingly most people would rather not lose their fillings in expense for taking a corner 5mph faster :) ). However I doubt that developing a set of harder lower springs will have made much difference to Peugeots wallet.

Parts connected to the general running of an engine will be a different storey, short of fitting ITBs they will have been designed to make the most out of the machinery. Any compromises here will risk engine damage or loss of reputation if their car isn't 'better' (read more powerful) than their competitors.

If the original air box couldn't deliver a consistent and steady flow of air the AFM would struggle to keep up with the changes in air flow and the engine would constantly swing between overfueling and underfueling.

The original trunking will also smooth the air flow to stop any snappyness that a cone filter introduces as that kind of throttle response isn't really what most people are looking for, myself included. Fair enough the throttle response (if thats what snappyness is, I have never experianced it) may be a bit faster with the cone but is that what you want and is it good for the engine?

joni

opened a can of worms!

I spoke to somebody about this and it brought back my knowledge (or lack of!) from my Auto Engineering degree. Simply put you want to get a good flow of cold air into the engine.

So if you can improve the flow and the reduce the temperature of the air then your on to a winner. However there is also issues relating to the length of the induction pipes if i remember correctly.

Based on the above i think i will sell the induction kit and go for a k and n or piper cross replacement filter to fit in the OE casing. I will also make sure that my spotlight is not in the way of where the air enters the intake tubing near the grill.

Any thoughts on k and n versus piper cross filters?

Faz85

Joni, if your thinking of getting the KnN element, I got mine from a guy on eBay:

works out at £24 brand new, a good buy i reckon.

Faz

Gregg

I bought a K&N element from ebay for about the price mentioned above for my 309 GTi, seemed a better bet than a cheap pattern paper filter. Still makes a decent noise as well.

The standard 205/309 set up it has no obvious restrictions in it, which are usually to reduce noise, a lot of more modern systems do (notably 106 GTi, how much crap plactic pipework?!). My only concern with it is the fact there is a metal air box bolted directly to the exhaust manifold. Does it have any effect or is the the airflow sufficient not to be warmed up in there? Is there any way of insulation the air box?

fulani

I got a K&N from Halfords yesterday for a fiver. Was going to fit it before a trackday next week, but now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone run a standard airbox with no filter element in it for a trackday before? It's an airfield, so most of the run-off area is tarmac, so no danger of getting gravel/dust in it.

Also, has anyone got a picture they could post of a K&N installed correctly? I want to make sure I've all the tubing and connectors I need.

Sign in to follow this