• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rex

605 Srti / 205 Gti Conversion

sonofsam

Nope :wacko:

But I can get as much alu sheet as a like, as I work in a sheet metal spinning shop :lol::D

Can't see why it would'nt work on standard management myself. No idea where the TB comes from.

rex

Ok - after months of promises and messing about and a mobile 'phone later - here's the "airbox".

post-8637-1192259873_thumb.jpg

rex

Again...

post-8637-1192259970_thumb.jpg

rex

And again. Comments, as usual, will be appreciated!

post-8637-1192260091_thumb.jpg

sonofsam

Looks very well executed!

rex

Right - had no work on yesterday so I spent the day on this money-pit turbo conversion.

Intercooler is plumbed in - so is the water and I finally finished the s/s alternator brackets with a belt that fits. All looking good 'till about five o'clock when I started her up - all seemed fine at first until I smelt burning - after a quick check the loom which goes to the bulkhead was clearly too close to the turbo (one of my earlier worries) so I swiftly remedied that with a sturdy tie-wrap.

Then, after trying to bleed her up, I noiticed that the turbo was glowing litteraly red hot after a couple of minutes (no more than three) and then she vomitted a load of coolant from the header tank. :rolleyes:

What the hell is causing that? The water circuit seems complete - the w/pump is new as is the thermostat an of course, so is the head gasket. The oil and filter are obviously also new.

If anybody could shed a bit of light or has already had this problem it might help guide me from the deep depression I feel is setting in :lol: which may end up being remedied in the time honoured tradition with a sthil saw.

Come back big block Trans Am. All is forgiven.

rex

Wait up - after calming down and remembering how much I actually spent on that Trans Am, I'm now starting to have a moment of clarity. I haven't wired up the lamda sensor yet. Not being an expert whatsoever on petrol turbo engines I didn't think - but if she's running mega rich surely she'll heat up like a maniac??

Ignore my earlier rantings and I'll get it wired up first :rolleyes:

rex

God I hate wiring. :blink:

I've got two wires to the speed sensor (130C and 129C) which are located at the famous brown plugs but are not connected to anything as yet. Then, I have four wires coming from the lamda sensor??? I also have 114 an 114a which I believe is the pre-heat for the lamda ready to be connected at the brown plug.

I've looked through the other topics 'till my head hurts :) and still can't make head nor tail.

Any suggestions, as usual, will be appreciated.

Regards, Rex

Ant
God I hate wiring. :blink:

I've got two wires to the speed sensor (130C and 129C) which are located at the famous brown plugs but are not connected to anything as yet. Then, I have four wires coming from the lamda sensor??? I also have 114 an 114a which I believe is the pre-heat for the lamda ready to be connected at the brown plug.

I've looked through the other topics 'till my head hurts :) and still can't make head nor tail.

Any suggestions, as usual, will be appreciated.

Regards, Rex

Rex,

114 and 114a need connecting together via a 20amp fuse. as you said, these pre heat the lamba sensor.

130 and 129 are for the VSS... These two come from the sensor on the gbox and go the the interface unit. From there there is a wire (131J) that goes back to the ecu..

Heres my wiring from the vss interface

Pin 4 ---> 131J goes to pin 11 on ECU

Pin 5 ---> 131? goes to speedo

Pin 6 ---> 52V goes to switched live

Pin 7 ---> 130C - Sensor on Gbox

Pin 8 ---> 129V - Sensor on Gbox

Pin 9 ---> M52V goes to earth

Here is a list of my wiring , ie the two multiplugs from the 205 to the 605 loom.. As well as that, mine has

Grey

1 76 Fuel Pump

2 52 Reverse light

3 53 Reverse light

4 47C

5 7A Alternator

6 M130 Earth

7 114 These two need joining together via a 20 amp fuse, they pre-heat the lambda sensor

8 114A ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10 32 power wire for the main relay ( switched live )

Black

2 Insulated cable (should have 3 wires inside) two wires used for rev counter

5 131J Speed Sensor

7 129C Speed Sensor

8 130C Speed Sensor

13 47 coolant light

14 30 oil presure warning light

19 47A coolant meter

20 47M

The above bits are from a previous topic.. not at home at the moment, so cant check on the 47,47M,47A and 47C.. basically you just need two of them. Ill check my wiring notes later, as you only need one for the temp warning light and one for the temp gauge.

Hope this is a help

Ant

Ant

oh and i doubt the lamba sensor not connected would make the turbo glow in such as short space of time.. Ive been tidying up my wiring and have disconnected my 20amp fuses while i fed the wires through. Ive had the car running several times while ive been testing the speedo etc ( this weekends project ) and all was fine ..

rex

Ant;

You're a star - thanks for the quick reply :) I want to get her running today as I have a window in my schedule and space on one of the ramps!!

Again - as I'm delegating here and translating it into French for my mechanic next door - what exaxtly do you mean by the "interface unit"?

As to the turbo, yeah - I really don't think it's that either but as I posted earlier - we're used to old style mechanics without all the wiring. The water circuit seems to be fine and the head bleeds up real nice.

I'm doing the denial thing right now and hoping the lamda is the cause - she is chronicly over-fuelling - that much is sure by the black smoke and the "popping" on acceleration.

I'll do the pre-heat for the lamda now, and get right back.

Thanks again

Edited by rex

rex

OK - we plugged in the cold start (forgot that earlier) and put in the pre-heat for the lambda and she's running ok now :)

The phrase "WTF" springs to mind.

Still unsure how to wire in 129C and 130C....

I only have two wires from the speed sensor....????

Ant
OK - we plugged in the cold start (forgot that earlier) and put in the pre-heat for the lambda and she's running ok now :)

The phrase "WTF" springs to mind.

Still unsure how to wire in 129C and 130C....

I only have two wires from the speed sensor....????

Read this for info on the VSS and interface. Hilgie has posted a picture of it.. Its a 9 pin box, found under the stearing coloum on the 605. 2 wires from the Gbox interface go to it, then 1 goes back to the ecu from the interface unit. Needs a +ve and -ve also.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=81374

i suspect it will go back from the interface to pin 11 on the ecu, or maybe pin 9 - the diagram for the 605 says pin 9, mine was pin 11

Also remember that a look of air into the tube into the ecu make it run like a dog. I snagged the pipe to the boost gauage at the weekend and it idled / drove terribly. Seeled the hole and it ran sweet again

rex

Thanks for the link. I have that VSS interface in a box somewhere but haven't integrated it into the plan as yet.

Now that I've lengthened the wires for the cold start and put an in-line fuse for the lamda pre-heat the car seems to be running fine??? It revs up well, the cold start is working and she is idling correctly now. Sounds cool, too. :lol:

My man at Peugeot here in Bordeaux claims this VSS has nothing to do with the ECU - though he could be wrong and I'm certainly not wanting to tread on the toes of the people who actually have done this conversion :) What is it supposed to do? Is mine going to run like a sack of merde without it?

I can't road test it unfortunately as I still haven't located an electric power steering pump for reasonable cost. Still, that seems to be the final hurdle....

Ant
My man at Peugeot here in Bordeaux claims this VSS has nothing to do with the ECU - though he could be wrong and I'm certainly not wanting to tread on the toes of the people who actually have done this conversion ;) What is it supposed to do? Is mine going to run like a sack of merde without it?

My car runs fine without it.. Although i do recall reading ages ago that without it more fuel goes through ( ie same amount as on idle ) - .. Could explain why my fuel gauge drops like a rock every time i drive it.

but not having it connected definetly doesnt stop the car running :)

One thing i did notice was your Intercooler box.. I used a similar method originally, but found it restricted flow and the car wouldnt boost above 1/4 bar... I made a more flowing pipe and it cured the problem..

jackherer
My car runs fine without it.. Although i do recall reading ages ago that without it more fuel goes through ( ie same amount as on idle ) - .. Could explain why my fuel gauge drops like a rock every time i drive it.

but not having it connected definetly doesnt stop the car running :)

Thats interesting, I used to run a Xantia Activa that had a dead VSS for all the time I had it except for the first 41 miles (the speedo was driven by it and therefore died too with the trip counter stuck on 41). It used a massive amount of petrol, more than my 3.0 V6 Xantia which supports your theory, it also ran fine, made full power etc.

Ant

Well as an idea on usage, i did about 200 miles ( round trip ) to pugfest 06 and used a full tank..

200 miles to a full tank is pretty poor ;) But then again i think i read a review on the 605 turbo that said it only averaged 19 miles per gallon !!!!

Oh well, its fun to drive :)

jackherer

I never had an accurate mpg figure for my Activa because it didnt have a speedo but it was exceptionally bad, even compared to the V6 one which had an auto gearbox and an extra ~150kg.

BTW I broke the Activa and the engine is going into a 205 soon :)

sonofsam

Glad to hear it Kieran :)

As comparison I get about 300 miles to a tank on a regular basis!

rex

Hmmmm....well, I kept everything from the 605 an I'm damned if I can find the VSS sensor. I presume they all have them?? I've also located a wire I trimmed from the original loom (131J) which I have put back in the newly refurbished loom - obviously if they need it I'll fit it.

That aside, all I'm waiting for now is a cheap electric P/S pump and I can finally road test it to see if has an equal grin factor to the twin-carb red-top Westfield I bought last week :angry:

Oh, and Son of Sam is right. Compressor stall is a much better noise than a dump valve :) Here she is:

post-8637-1194345975_thumb.jpg

Crazy-legs!

Looking good Rex. I keep meaning to post some pictures of mine!

Ant

Get one from an activia if you cant find your 605 one. They are the same. I had one from a actavia Xantia, and although there were more wires connected ( all 9 pins had a wire ) the VSS works on my 605, as i tested it this weekend out of interest. Not sure why the actavia had wires in all 9 pins, but you only need 5 to get the VSS working. ECU, 2 to the Gearbox sensor and a + and -Ve feed :)

Getting one for a few euros from a breakers will save you a fortune in fuel judging by mine and Sams comparions.

Talking of fuel, I did 45 miles each way to Donnigton park in May, but didnt go on the track due to no spaces being available. I filled up before i went. I checked the fuel gauge on saturday and it was 1/2 way !!!!! - so without the VSS it used half a tank for 90-100 miles !!! :)

Fit the VSS :angry: it will save you some money

sonofsam
Hmmmm....well, I kept everything from the 605 an I'm damned if I can find the VSS sensor. I presume they all have them?? I've also located a wire I trimmed from the original loom (131J) which I have put back in the newly refurbished loom - obviously if they need it I'll fit it.

That aside, all I'm waiting for now is a cheap electric P/S pump and I can finally road test it to see if has an equal grin factor to the twin-carb red-top Westfield I bought last week ;)

Oh, and Son of Sam is right. Compressor stall is a much better noise than a dump valve :( Here she is:

Sounds like a rattlesnake has got into the engine bay :lol::rolleyes: Oh and a rare picture of the beast, she's looking well tidy Rex :D

Look forward to hearing your first impresions B)

rex

Hiya Sam,

It's like ants in my mouth having this baby "finished" and not being able to road test her! I finished the brakes this morning and added in my Tilton bias adjuster to sort out the Brembo's on the front...looks a bit messy for the minute but I didn't have the right fittings.

Shee-it, I've blown some wedge on this conversion :rolleyes: It better be scary...B)

Here's a "rare picture of the beast" then - with the real Rex in the frame too:

post-8637-1194431371_thumb.jpg

post-8637-1194431443_thumb.jpg

sonofsam

Quality build Rex!

Happy Birthday by the way :P Hope you got something nice :)

Sign in to follow this