• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

Standard Exhaust For 200bhp+

mos

hi

i want a fairly quiet exhaust for my road going car but as its an overbored and stroked s16 engine on bodies its pushing out over 230bhp

the quietest option would be an oe exhaust

but as good as this is on a standard car i am pretty sure the oe exhaust must be restrictive at this sort of output

can anyone confirm this

i have ruled out the group n for being to small and loud, the group a for being too loud and i am torn between either an exhaust to match the 4-2-1 manifold i got from miles in either stainless or mild steel from his supplier

or

a blueflame custom made jobbie.

these guys did an exhaust and sports cats for me on my tt and they were fine and although a nice note not too loud and actually quieter than the standard exhaust above 4,000rpm,

they said they will make me one on the car with the biggest silencers they can to keep it reasonably quiet and they do have experience with mi16s

they do stuff for tvr, bentley, westfield and lotus so they have a good reputation

my other 205 is an 8v running carbs and a full magnex, this is about as loud as i want to go and if possible i would even like to go a bit quieter than this as even this can be a pain on the motorway

any comments/suggestions anyone and can someone confirm the oe exhaust will be restrictive at 200+bhp

thanks

mark

welshpug

go for a reasonably long but freeflow centre box, and a larger rear box, keep the tailpipe slightly smaller than the system. i.e if the system is 2.5 use a 2.25 tailpipe.

smckeown

des-developments are developing an exhaust for me currently. For not a lot of money they will put together an exhaust and prove it's not restrictive and meets certain noise limits. You want a good balance between not being restrictive, not being too noisy and not being too wide in diameter losing you low down torque.

mos

i take it that nobody thinks using a standard oe exhaust on an s16 enngine capable of 200+bhp is a very good idea then?!

thanks

mark

Robsbc
i take it that nobody thinks using a standard oe exhaust on an s16 enngine capable of 200+bhp is a very good idea then?!

thanks

mark

Try it....

jackherer

Sandy309 mentioned in another thread that Honda Accord Type R exhausts are 1.75" diameter and they make more than 200bhp...

Martin@PRD

Ive managed to push over 250 Bhp through a re-angled MI16 manifold and a standard Gti exhaust system and back box, but this was using 100 Bhp Nos.

Im currently designing the exhaust system on our Twin V6, so far used 2.25 Pipe, and one extremely large Merc 200 diesel middle box (500x200x200@£27 each) for each engine which will flow into one 3" Tail pipe,

Basically its down to size of the box you use and the type, whether its straight through or baffled, though the type I have used have a straight type with a star shaped perforated restrictor half way down to increase the back pressure and increase the efficacy of the box at higher rpm

mos

if i had an oe system lying around i wound but i dont

and i not shelling out £200 for what will probably turn out to be a mistake

thats why i was hoping someone on here had already tried this

Try it....

Martin@PRD

I can get you one second hand one for £40, If I had one personaly i would borrow you it though sadly i dont.

Dream Weaver

Theres an article in PPC from last month about exhausts, and it reckons on 2.75 pipe for up to 200bhp, and 3.25 up to 300bhp IIRC.

maxi

I run a STD BOSAL system with no probs and im making 216BHP.

Maxi

Sandy
Theres an article in PPC from last month about exhausts, and it reckons on 2.75 pipe for up to 200bhp, and 3.25 up to 300bhp IIRC.

How did they decide that, sounds more like turbo sizes than NA?

Rippthrough
How did they decide that, sounds more like turbo sizes than NA?

Sounds a little big imo too.

mos

just out of interest from a noise perspective the oe is going to be quieter but what are the dimensions of the silencers peugeot used

mos
I run a STD BOSAL system with no probs and im making 216BHP.

Maxi

maxi do you feel the car is totally unstricted by the exhaust then

or do you think you have more to come from it with a free flow exhaust

thanks

mark

maxi
maxi do you feel the car is totally unstricted by the exhaust then

or do you think you have more to come from it with a free flow exhaust

thanks

mark

If you were to drive my car you would no it feels absolutely unrestricted! The engine just wants to rev itself to destruction, it cant reach the limiter quick enough. Std center systems, as long as the dont have the silly divider (Bosal are very good) are fine for over 200BHP. My mapper agreed that my setup was perfect and the enine was reaching the full potential of its spec. May I also remind you that the car did exceed 220BHP on initial runs and the 216BHP 174Ibft of torque was taken from the 5th consecutive power run with soaring inlet temps.

This whole exhaust debate just goes to prove you cant believe anything unless the given person has actually done it themselfs. The internet mechanics would have you believing that you will never exceed 180BHP unless oyu have some silly GRP N system that rusts within 6 months and sounds like a nova with a peco big bore 4.

Maxi

B1ack_Mi16

I have a Bosal system on mine, well centrebox to endpipe.

It seem to be quite some less than 2" in the "bends/kinks".

I'm also building an unrestricted 2.5" system now, and will map the engine with both exhaust systems.

Going to lend a rolling road for a weekend.

Will be interesting to compare, downside it ain't happening until the snow is gone, and that may still take some months over here :blink:

smckeown
This whole exhaust debate just goes to prove you cant believe anything unless the given person has actually done it themselfs. The internet mechanics would have you believing that you will never exceed 180BHP unless oyu have some silly GRP N system that rusts within 6 months and sounds like a nova with a peco big bore 4.

Maxi

the thing is maxi, until you get it at a RR thats not known for being in the same league as PowerStation (for Accuracy) we dont actually know how much power your car is pushing out. Get it to a decent RR or get some 1/4 mile speeds and we can see if you are pushing 216 from a standard system. You can borrow my AP22 if you like.

Dream Weaver

I agree with Maxi on this - I run a std system with Magnex BB, and I also run std Mi injectors.

Both those items were said to max out at 180bhp, but I managed 199bhp on a very acurate RR, with std cars getting just under their quoted OEM figures on the day.

When I mentioned the injector issue to Dave W at Emerald he didn't seem to concerned about them maxing out.

Robsbc

I'm pretty sure Maxi's car is pushing that sort of power....Stew205 is a similar spec and was done on a dyno (not rolelrs) and achieved 218.

205's do not equate to a quiet car...Get a sensible car I say or ear plugs.

Revla
I'm pretty sure Maxi's car is pushing that sort of power....Stew205 is a similar spec and was done on a dyno (not rolelrs) and achieved 218.

205's do not equate to a quiet car...Get a sensible car I say or ear plugs.

Mine is deffo (tee hee) not quiet either!!

huckleberry

Maxi; with the standard system you mean the early system for the 130 bhp GTI so no cat, standard middle section and a standard backbox? You also make use of the 306gti6 manifold right?

I'm still thinking hard about what to use on my forthcoming GTI6 conversion exhaust-wise and there have been topics about this and I've spoken to others who have one in their 205 gti. But hearing this would mean I could use a standard spec exhaust (will be using the 306 gti manifold) on this conversion? It would mean a little more quiet which I personally prefer and it would mean cheaper than getting a 60mm one build.

Tim

C_W

Althought mine is a standard 1.9 Mi16 I've run a standard system on it and it's fine and at the moment I'm running an old 1.6 downpipe which seems to be smaller diameter as I've had to sleeve it up to make it fit the centre box (too baggy otherwise). Power still seems fine and never feels restrictive.

Sign in to follow this