• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

Strut Braces

GazRallye

Anyone know if a strut brace from a gti will go on an xs?

Jrod

It should do.

Might hit the airbox though if you are using it, I can find out for you tomorrow.

With a piperX filter its fine.

GazRallye

Do you use one then on your car with the piperX?

Jrod

Yep.

macaroni

Yes they do, I have one on mine and Jrod is right, it clears the top of a PiperX filter.

Well worth fitting one too, much sharper handling.

GazRallye

Does the lower one that goes between the wishbones fit as well?

Edited by GazRallye

Jrod

The Gti one doesn't fit the lower no (Well I don't think it does) You can buy one for the lower though, It's the same as the CTI.

Or if you want better handling get a GTI subframe like I have just done. :)

GazRallye

Cheers Jrod :)

I'll look out for a cheap 2nd hand one

stu_woac

if your buying new you can get one that fits the xs perfectly and if you ever put downdrafts on, it will clear them too, but most people will put sidedrafts on the xs as we have plently of room

I dont agree with putting on the gti front frame to improve handling I thing there is easier ways to do this, (but I've put a french rallye subframe on mine, to put 309 arms on for better turn in, on my track car ) but just to improve handling there is easier and maybe cheaper ways

GazRallye

Don't think i'd go to such extreme lengths of changing the sub frames, i'd probably just get a gti!

Some twin carbs are something i'd definately consider in the future though, but i feel theres more important things to do with the car first.

I am tempted by these that i saw on ebay though Weber Twin 40s :angry: my intuition tells me they're downdraughts for obvious reasons

djinuk

ive put a 1.6 strut brace on my xs , its fine jst rubs the airbox slightly :D jst dont over tighten as i snapped a botl on the top suspension turret

bren_1.3

same here, its just rubbed on the airbox and the top of the bonnet.

djinuk

didnt realise it touches the top of the bonnet, ah well lol

Jrod

Mine really pushed on the bonnet so I cut out 2 grooves in the support on the bottom of the bonnet.

GazRallye

Got one today i won on ebay, £30 came off a 1.9, squashes down on the pipercross airfilter i have so its all good :P

You really feel the difference, front end feels so much more responsive and positive :)

Jrod

They are deffo worthwhile eh. :P

GazRallye

Oh yeah!

Took it for a spin, found a nice country lane, as most of the roads are s*itty city roads, feels top!

Thing is it squashes my air filter :P (which i also fitted today, yes i know i need some cold air feeds!)

Do you think it'll effect the air flow? as it sucks in from the top

27012007121.jpg

Jrod

Hmm I shouldn't think so.

Mine is actually thinner as its a bar so doesn't touch as much of the filter but either way I doubt it will really make a diff?

Rippthrough
Hmm I shouldn't think so.

Mine is actually thinner as its a bar so doesn't touch as much of the filter but either way I doubt it will really make a diff?

How thin is yours then, as that one looks a bit flexy to my eye!

Jrod

I don't mean thinner as such, but less touching the filter as it's not flat, its round.

spa0628kh1.jpg

Obviously that won't be a problem when I get my twin webbers on. :P

swordfish210

yeah it will make a difference to your air flow, get a piece of tube and suck through it, then place your finger flat over the end of the tube to restrict the air flow, feel the difference?

bren_1.3
yeah it will make a difference to your air flow, get a piece of tube and suck through it, then place your finger flat over the end of the tube to restrict the air flow, feel the difference?

airflow for beginners ey? :unsure::o

doesnt look all that bad, as long as its not sitting on top of the carb itself, rather than the filter.

swordfish210

not beginners just simple physics :unsure: . only one way to find out for sure, put it on a dyno and do 2 runs, one with the brace and one without

GazRallye

It is sat on the filter but its fairly tall and basically between the 2 red lines is empty space, so it crushes the space but its not on the carb

Guest zeddy

I'm surprised nobody has suggested getting one that actually fits a 1.4 engine and is shaped to go around the carb. Also a lot easier to service the carb without removing the strut brace every time. :lol:

Sign in to follow this