• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

[engine_work] Type-r-io

Sandy

My 309 Trio project is well under way and I thought i'd tease you with some early pics:

post-2671-1168886838_thumb.jpg

post-2671-1168886855_thumb.jpg

johnrobertgordon

4000 rpm madness. The engine is such a neet little lump, looks tiny in the 309.

Sandy

It's a surprisingly good fit and the only cutting required was to improve the location, it isn't strictly necessary. I want this car to handle to my liking too!

Edited by sandy309

Gtiracer

looks like a good un, keep us updated with pics and please leave the styling subtle

Sandy

Cheers, it will be subtle, currently debating whether i should keep the original green piped seats!

smckeown
Cheers, it will be subtle, currently debating whether i should keep the original green piped seats!

Nah, I vote for the matching type-r recardo's :)

Cool project, fantastic engine

Sandy

I've got some Civic Type-R seats, but they're in every chav civic i've seen lately!

Batfink

looking good :) hopefully i'll get to see it shortly when I drop off the tyres for the 309 and bring the 205 down

Lillpete

That'll be the business, Which engine is it your fitting there??

WildCards

Looks cool, a mate of mine has put a DC2 engine into a 306. Which is fairly nippy.

Keep us posted.

Sandy

Sounds good, I nearly used a 306, even bought one, but the extra weight and Cat issue put me off in the end.

It's the 2.2 H22A7 from a 1999 Accord Type-R. It's old school on/off VTEC like the DC2 engine. We're also putting a K20A i-VTEC in my friend's 309 at the moment and the S2000 RWD 309 is well under way too. I was dead lucky and picked up a set of ex-BTCC direct to head bodies for mine, which are a straight fit!

tom_m
I was dead lucky and picked up a set of ex-BTCC direct to head bodies for mine, which are a straight fit!

i expect that will sound rather pleasing :(

Sandy

Spoke to Colin the master fabricator and world class deadpan comedian earlier. The Engine mounts, driveshafts, clutch cable adaptations, crank trigger wheel and bracket and 306 wishbones are all sorted, just the exhaust left to do on the serious stuff. I'm going up tomorrow , we'll lift the engine back out and i'll paint all the fresh bits and re-grease the CV's etc.

Not bloody long to go now!!

WildCards

I don't know about the H22 or K20 engines, but the B18 engine from the DC2 mates up to Fireblade throttle bodies with barely any ECU modifications apparently, which is a definate plus point for using them. Still, good to get some ex-BTCC ones though.

He's lowered the point at which VTEC kicks in with the VTEC controller and used the DC2 gearbox, as it comes with an LSD. Where the exhaust was concerned he had to cut away the subframe and weld extra strength back into it at a different point to get the downpipe through.

Would love to hear about the S2K309.

Sandy

Is that the one that was in Retro or PPC or the like?

It'll be on an aftermarket ECU, Colin has done a legendary job of the crank wheels and sensor assembly! He's probably going to be making kits for XU engines soon, which might be handy. This ATR box has an LSD too, the only downer is 5th is oddly short against the other gears. I have a "Rover 623" box (same type as the ATR) that could donate a taller 5th, but I can't be bothered to strip and rebuild just for that. I'll see how annoying it is!

The S2000 jobbie has the rear end fabrication done, and the front end spaceframe is next. We have to bite a chunk out of the prep work on the hillclimbers though next, or the start of the season will come too soon!

Sandy

Bit another chunk out of it today. Clutch works now and i've lightly painted the fabricated bits and put the engine back in. The mounts are rubber but very slim bushes! So it's going to be quite noisy I think. The crank trigger arrangement is a work of art. I took pics but left my camera there sadly.

Funny thing with the exhaust, the manifold is a 4-2-1 tubular affair as standard, after we cut the flexi joint off, I measured the outlet bore, it's barely 43mm diameter! 209bhp as standard breathing through a 43mm (1 3/4") pipe; to think how often people think a 2" system isn't big enough etc.

Sam

Need 4" on that surely :D

Sandy

It does beg the question though, the graph of the standard ATR only climbs from about 6-6.5krpm, then drops. If you plot the sort of torque curve you'd expect, peak power would be about 235bhp at 7800rpm!

Sandy

Ok, finally got the camera back and uploaded the pics (thanks Sam!).

Back on its wheels with driveshafts intact and slightly iffy ground clearance, but I can simply swap the springs to raise it, so no big deal. The height is quite pleasing, I doubt it'll sit any lower than an XU engined car.

http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/Trio1.jpg

http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/Trio2.jpg

Here's the subrame with 306 GTi6 arms, front track is now about 1500mm, a bit wider than a normal 309 at 1407mm! The Partner steel wheels have just about enough offset to keep the wheels under the arches and road legal. I'll run less offset on track, for the full width.

http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/Trio3.jpg

The chassis legs had to be notched and reinforced to clear the rear wishbone mounts.

http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/Trio4.jpg

Here's the sexy crank sensor bracket, sadly I forgot to snap the alloy bottom pulley!

http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/Trio5.jpg

Here's the assortment of engine mount brackets, the big one goes on the gearbox and takes the clutch cable too.

http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/Trio6.jpg

And finally, here's the exhaust collector, which will no doubt cap peak power, but I doubt i'll be bothered for now!

http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/Trio7.jpg

Good times!

findlay

Great progress and its going to look quite bitchin with the bad-ass wide track up front :)

Sandy

I'm hoping so, hopefully it'll just have that "...I can't quite put my finger on it, but something's odd!" quality about it :)

Rippthrough
I'm hoping so, hopefully it'll just have that "...I can't quite put my finger on it, but something's odd!" quality about it :)

You have got to wear a cap and smoke a pipe while driving it!

welshpug

liking the 306 lower arm trick, was it much work to get them to fit the subframe? I guess the front mounting may even fit in the original position going by those pictures?

42.5mm extra track is a hell of a lot! negative camber anyone? :) does it alter castor angle too?

Sandy
You have got to wear a cap and smoke a pipe while driving it!

Tartan rug is always referable to a "stealth shelf" :blush:

liking the 306 lower arm trick, was it much work to get them to fit the subframe? I guess the front mounting may even fit in the original position going by those pictures?

42.5mm extra track is a hell of a lot! negative camber anyone? :angry: does it alter castor angle too?

Yes, it's alot of work! Colin doesn't really want to do it again! Obviously I wanted the extra track for the basic benefits of reduced weight transfer at the front, which ought to improve the balance of the car whilst retaining standard rear bars and relatively soft front springs, for good traction; but the other issue was that these wishbones are cheap as chips (especially against replacement 309 arms), have easily changeable ball joints, wider inner pivot base (for reduced fore and aft movement) and fit the standard hub carriers.

The front brackets have been cut off and moved for the wider 306 bush and to get the right wheelbase, the rear pivot brackets had to be fabricated from scratch. it's not the kind of thing i'd take on myself, because the consequences of my frankly amateur/terrible welding skills failing, are unthinkable. Colin on the other hand can do it in his sleep.

Obviously i've ditched the front ARB, which I prefer to do anyway on the 309.

I'm using eccentric top mounts and have a wide range of adjustment to play with on camber and castor. The camber is almost standard with the mounts turned right out.

The track increase is approximately 90mm overall!

Edited by sandy309

pdd144c

Looking great Sandy! Why do you prefer removing the front ARB?