• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Brambles

Inovation Lc1 Wide Band Lambda Sensor

Brambles

I have an LC1 wide band lamda and dissplay that I have not fitted yet.

Has anyone fitted one of these and are they any good?

Can you integrate them with the Emerald MD3 Ecu?

Revla
I have an LC1 wide band lamda and dissplay that I have not fitted yet.

Has anyone fitted one of these and are they any good?

Can you integrate them with the Emerald MD3 Ecu?

You can if its a K3 Emerald ECU - if not, you can get Emerald to upgrade it........

Mad Professor

I have got the IMS LC-1 Digital Wideband 02 Sensor Kit, With the XD-16 Digital Display.

I have been running it for well over a year now, on a turboed car like mine is a must, I can keep an eye on the AFR as I am booting it, and if I am not happy with the readings I can back off.

I don't know about Emerald ECU's but if it support a anoalog input then yes the LC-1 will work, You just need to use the LogWorks software and change the LC-1 Outputs to suite what the Emerald ECU wants to see.

M3Evo

Yeah, if you can find out from the WB controller what voltages mean what interms of AFR, you can tell the Emerald what to expect.

Then connect the output from the WB controller to one of the Aux inputs on the Emerald, go into the DataLogger and click on the Aux I/O tab at the top.

The rest is self explanatory. B)

Rippthrough
Yeah, if you can find out from the WB controller what voltages mean what interms of AFR, you can tell the Emerald what to expect.

Then connect the output from the WB controller to one of the Aux inputs on the Emerald, go into the DataLogger and click on the Aux I/O tab at the top.

The rest is self explanatory. B)

With the innovate you can do it the other way around and configure the outputs too. Really well made piece of kit with damned good supporting software.

Edited by Rippthrough

Brambles
You can if its a K3 Emerald ECU - if not, you can get Emerald to upgrade it........

Hi Revla, thganks for your reply.

How do I know if it is a "K3" ECU?

I went down to Emerald in January 2005 and brought it, (didnt realise it was so long ago!).

If mine is not a "K3" what does it need a software or hardware update?

Brambles
I have got the IMS LC-1 Digital Wideband 02 Sensor Kit, With the XD-16 Digital Display.

I have been running it for well over a year now, on a turboed car like mine is a must, I can keep an eye on the AFR as I am booting it, and if I am not happy with the readings I can back off.

I don't know about Emerald ECU's but if it support a anoalog input then yes the LC-1 will work, You just need to use the LogWorks software and change the LC-1 Outputs to suite what the Emerald ECU wants to see.

Hi Mad Profesor, yes thats what I thought it would be nice to be able to know what air fuel ratio the engine is running at any given time.

Before I was runnining a pair of 45 Webbers and was driven to distraction trying to figure out what was happening and ended up buing so many jets air correctors trying to sort things it got ridiculous.

No to mention that if I ever got the mixture right for one set of conditions that would stil be wrong for different conditions ie cold weather etc.

Never got it right When it was put on Emeralds roling road it made 162.7 Bhp at 114mph but most of the lower to mid engine speed range it had an air fuel ratio of about 10:1!

I havent fitted mine yet (thats one of the next jobs on the list), But looking at the Instructions it seems that the lamda sensor itsel has to be positioned in the exhaust just right. Question is how have you fitted yours as there is not much space to fit it upright etc in the exhaust?

Also i was thinking of putting the lamda controler inside the car to keap it out of the wether, but it seems to imply in the instructions that it should go outside?

Brambles

The rest is self explanatory. :)

Hi M3Evo, what would be a practical way of finding out this, any tips to help shorten my head scratching time?

Brambles
With the innovate you can do it the other way around and configure the outputs too. Really well made piece of kit with damned good supporting software.

Hi Rippthrough, Could you please expand a little on your post?

Mad Professor

The ideal postion to mount the senor is from 9oclock to 3oclock, This is to stop water getting into the sensors heating unit and killing the sensor.

Heres where I have fitted mine.

Wideband%20Fitted.jpg

M3Evo
Hi M3Evo, what would be a practical way of finding out this, any tips to help shorten my head scratching time?

Hey Brambles, how's it going?

I suspect that if you go into the software that came with the Inovate thing, there'll be a table somewhere which tells you/lets you adjust what voltage outputs from the controller correspond to what AFR values.

Once you've found them it's a simple case of transposing some way-points into the relevant thing in the Emerald software and off you go :)

If there's not a table then you're as stuck as I am at the moment unless you can figure out a way of getting the sensor to give a steady reading whilst you take down the result.

Thinking about it, anyone reckon we could stick the sensor in a sealed box and then purge the air with some Argon, look at the AFR reading and then note down the voltage? (talking about the VEMS ones here BTW)

Rippthrough

Yep, power up the sensor then go into the configuration side of the software, it's in there, you can set the voltage against lambda reading or against the air:fuel ratio for that fuel.

Revla

Hi,

Talk to Dave or Carl at Emerald - they'll tell you. Leonie might know also. (They are all very helpful people). Its probably an older ECU type if its from 2005. I've got the brochure for the new K3 and its got some good functionality. Worth the £30 upgrade I think.

You'll need your serial number from the side of the ECU case so they know what you have got.

Cheers

Trev

Brambles
The ideal postion to mount the senor is from 9oclock to 3oclock, This is to stop water getting into the sensors heating unit and killing the sensor.

Heres where I have fitted mine.

Wideband%20Fitted.jpg

Yes that dosent seems ok except that its further back from the manifold than I thought they should go from the description in the instructions.

However yours is a turbo so it probably gets hot quickly in that location.

What about the verry exposed position of the controler?

I thougfht it may be a good Idea to try and locate it inside the car. Or dont you think it matters?

Mad Professor

Brambles: Has the sensors have there own heaters it does not matter to much how far back you put them, as long as you are not right out the end of the tail pipe, this would put out the AFR.

As for the controler it's self, thay are sealed rubber cased, and should not have any problems being mouted on the outside of the car.

Brambles
Hey Brambles, how's it going?

I suspect that if you go into the software that came with the Inovate thing, there'll be a table somewhere which tells you/lets you adjust what voltage outputs from the controller correspond to what AFR values.

Once you've found them it's a simple case of transposing some way-points into the relevant thing in the Emerald software and off you go :D

If there's not a table then you're as stuck as I am at the moment unless you can figure out a way of getting the sensor to give a steady reading whilst you take down the result.

Thinking about it, anyone reckon we could stick the sensor in a sealed box and then purge the air with some Argon, look at the AFR reading and then note down the voltage? (talking about the VEMS ones here BTW)

Eh?

Good lord M3Evo! Way points, Argon gass!

I can see I am lagging behind here on the technicalities of this and I need to start bonning up a bit. Its been sat in its box since I got it about a year and a half ego (was verry bussy), and now I need to start getting to grips with it, as it would be nice to have a detailed understanding of the set up and not just the minimum to be able to fit it.

Sorry to all that replyed to my post in not getting back sooner but I got caught out reading the verry good and detailed postings on the Twin V6 project. Verry Interesting it was.

Brambles
Brambles: Has the sensors have there own heaters it does not matter to much how far back you put them, as long as you are not right out the end of the tail pipe, this would put out the AFR.

As for the controler it's self, thay are sealed rubber cased, and should not have any problems being mouted on the outside of the car.

Thank you mad Profesor, its just me being overly fussy when there is no need to be.

Yours must be fine its been there a year or so as you say.

Do you find it to be accurate?

I imagine it to better than a roling road in some respects as the AFR will be being measured in a "real world scenario" on the road itself.

I wish i knew how to post some pictures on here but when I tryied a box came up asking for my "complete URL for the image, and I havent a clue what it is talking about, I just want to upload some pictures of my car from the "my pictures" file on my computer.

Brambles

Hi,

Talk to Dave or Carl at Emerald - they'll tell you. Leonie might know also. (They are all very helpful people). Its probably an older ECU type if its from 2005. I've got the brochure for the new K3 and its got some good functionality. Worth the £30 upgrade I think.

You'll need your serial number from the side of the ECU case so they know what you have got.

Cheers

Yes that seems verry reasonable and well worth it so I will be going for the upgrade, thank you for letting me know.

Also I am off to look at the Emerald website to see the latest on what they have. The seriall no is easy its on the back with the status Led and the coms sockets.

Brambles
Hi,

Cheers

Trev

Where did you find the brochure on the "K3"

I Cant find any reference to it on the Emerald site.

Mine is the M3DK and I seem to recall Dave saying that it did not support the wide band Lamda.

So I am keen to get an upgrade.

M3Evo

Awesome! Looks like a giant toy :D

I'd say your first port of call should be the Inovate software. Have a look in there for the voltage outputs and then pop them up here or something.

Load up the Emerald software too. Press F12, goto the Aux I/O at the top of the screen that appears and post up the values from that too :D

Rippthrough

You want to be in this bit:

innovate.jpg

M3Evo

What's it say under the "Info/Set AFR" tab?

That looks like a Narrow Band output it's showing on that graph.

Rippthrough
What's it say under the "Info/Set AFR" tab?

That looks like a Narrow Band output it's showing on that graph.

yup, narrowband simulation there.

Revla
Where did you find the brochure on the "K3"

I Cant find any reference to it on the Emerald site.

Mine is the M3DK and I seem to recall Dave saying that it did not support the wide band Lamda.

So I am keen to get an upgrade.

I got it from the Emerald brochure which came with PPC magazine........

Edited by Revla

M3Evo
I got it from the Emerald brochure which came with PPC magazine........

You got the data logger on yours?

For some reason the settings for the WBO2 input are buried in that.

Sign in to follow this