• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scumbag

Sluggish!

scumbag

The 205 doesnt seem to be as fast as it should be!!!! :angry:

I am not sure why but I went in my mates and his felt faster than mine, and then last night some mates in a 1.1 saxo had a rolling start about 10 - 15 mph above my 20 mph and it took ages to catch them and didnt seem much faster! :(:o

Help!! Apparently it can be something to do with timing, particularly if someone changed the dizzy and messed about. It this right, and how hard / how much to set up correctly!

What else could it be??

luggy

So long as you know you have know good air filter/ plugs/ leads/ dizzy cap and rotor. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? changed mine not so long ago and noticed a bit of difference in the response.

scumbag
So long as you know you have know good air filter/ plugs/ leads/ dizzy cap and rotor. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? changed mine not so long ago and noticed a bit of difference in the response.

I haven't changed it yet as only had the car 3 weeks. I am thinking about just getting a k&n cylinder replacement just to put in original housing. Just had new leads and NGK plugs.

Think I'll do dizzy and rotor some point in the near future. Is the fuel filter hard to do?

I have also stuck in some injector cleaner, and my idling issues have got a bit better after I did some carb cleaner based carnage!

dommorton

Were you driving his car?

Always feel quicker as a passenger in my experience

scumbag

No I wasn't. Maybe i'll badger him for a drive. His is lowered with an induction kit and grp N exhaust. I think the lower hard ride made him a bit faster around the corners!

ORB

Sounds like time for a full service. remember this is an old car, these things need attention.

- Plugs

- Leads

- Dizzy cap and arm

- Oil

- all filters

Make sure that your throttle body is clean (brake cleaner in is a good thing)

Sack the original airbox and get a 57i kit and bolt that on.

Take it to a garage and let them time it all up and set up the mixture (cost about 20 quid)

Also, remove every (and I mean EVERY) plug in the engine bay one by one and clean it up with solvent and replace firmly, you would be amazed how many people suffer poor running just from having a poor temp sensor connection or similar.

If the above does not work, stick a knife through your mates saxo tyres and bugger off, i bet he wont catch up B)

dommorton

That and the noise

It's just an illusion. I'm sure yours is fine B)

scumbag

The full service will be done with time. Going monthly pay at end of the month though so I need to save my meagre earnings to last till end of feb until I get my payrise!!! Then my little pug of love shall be treated in the manner she deserves.

New plugs and leads and coolant all done. Oil change, dizzy and rotor next!

I sprayed carb cleaner in the Tb but an thinking about taking it off and cleaning it up properly.

Tempted with the 57i but was worried about the cost of getting the timing and fuelling all set correctly again.

And what is the best solvent to use for all the connections??

Thanks guys it really appreciated!

Guest michaelreddo

Mine seemed a little like this when I bought it. I did some of the above and it seemed to sort it out. Took it to a decent garage with good knowldge of 205's and he set up my AFM and mixture and checked the timing. Seemed to make a big fifference to mine.

boombang

One thing to check that is often overlooked is the wide open throttle "switch" on the throttle body.

Mate of mine had a very flat feeling engine. It would pull ok to 4k RPM but then it didn't ever feel properly alive.

Checked the outputs and no WOT so swapped the throttle pot and now its a lovely revvy wee thing.

jackherer

what petrol have you been filling it with?

28CRAIG

I had this on mine after a engine swap last week it was revving very slow above 3.5k and would not go above 5k it turned out to be timing.

If you do try this put a mark on the dizzy so you can put it back if it does not help undo the two 11mm bolts on the dizzy and try a bit of advance this will be turning the dizzy cw just do a few deg's tighten up and take it out for a test and repeat untill right and if it does not help put back to where you stared.

Thanks Craig

sorr
Sack the original airbox and get a 57i kit and bolt that on.

Don't put a 57i kit anywhere near your car. Yes it will make it seem faster due to the noise, but it made my car sluggish. People may tell you you can adjust the AFM mixture to compensate, but the mixture adjustment only affects the idle setting.

scumbag

Thanks for all your replies! A lot to get checked! BTW I have been using super unleaded

futura

Is that a 95 or 97 index? From a supermarket or an oil company?

Spiky
I had this on mine after a engine swap last week it was revving very slow above 3.5k and would not go above 5k it turned out to be timing.

If you do try this put a mark on the dizzy so you can put it back if it does not help undo the two 11mm bolts on the dizzy and try a bit of advance this will be turning the dizzy cw just do a few deg's tighten up and take it out for a test and repeat untill right and if it does not help put back to where you stared.

Thanks Craig

i have the same problem mine is also pinking??

should i still turn clockwise??

scumbag
Is that a 95 or 97 index? From a supermarket or an oil company?

97 Ron from sainsburys. The only other garages nearby is a BP which sells ultimate at over 10p a litre more than saisburys super!!!! and a texaco which doesn't do anything other than u/l and derv

28CRAIG
i have the same problem mine is also pinking??

should i still turn clockwise??

This is because it is sparking to soon so yes clockwise if looking from passenger side wing will advance the timming. but you should get it done with proper timming equipment to be on the safe side i dont wont my advise to harm your engine.

jackherer

sainsbury's super is good, I usually fill up there.

the car might have had the ignition timing retarded by a previous owner to stop it pinking on 95....

Spiky
This is because it is sparking to soon so yes clockwise if looking from passenger side wing will advance the timming. but you should get it done with proper timming equipment to be on the safe side i dont wont my advise to harm your engine.

ok thanks :)

scumbag

What exactly is pinking??

jim21070
What exactly is pinking??

Pinking (also known as Detonation) is when one area of gas (fuel charge) in the combustion chamber ignites spontaneously and meets the main flame-front ignited by the spark plug head-on. The two flame-fronts literally explosively collide with each other and causes a knock. You hear detonation as a metallic rattle. The engine is actually vibrating during detonation.

Causes are low-octane fuel (octane is a measure of how easily the fuel will spontaneously ignite under heat and pressure - the higher the octane the more resistant it is to spontaneous combustion), a too-high compression ratio which increases temperature and pressure and thus makes spontaneous combustion more likely on low octane fuel and too much ignition advance which starts the main flame-front burning too early and thus increases temperature and pressure too early in the cycle and therefore promotes detonation. Good combustion chamber design helps overcome a tendency to detonate.

It can also be caused by weak mixtures as these burn hotter.

Detonation can, if bad enough, hole a piston. It looks like a bullet has been shot through it.

High octane fuels burn more slowly and thus need to be ignited earlier in the cycle to get them burning at the right time, hence they need more ignition advance.

Not to be confused with pre-ignition which causes the fuel charge to ignite spontaneously due to a hot-spot in the combustion chamber typically caused by a spark-plug tip glowing because it's the wrong heat range, incandescent carbon deposits, red-hot exhaust valves etc. In the case of pre-ignition damage a piston will have a hole burned through it as if an oxy-aceteylene torch has been applied to it.

scumbag

Cheers!

Grim.Badger

Just to add,

My 1.9 will gain slightly on a VTR so yours should easily see off a 1.1 :angry:

Get the timing adjusted to super unleaded and replace any broken or split induction pipes, these are the two points that made my car sluggish. The dizzy should be near the end of it's advance for 97ron and practically at the end for 99ron (apparently). I adjusted my advance myself by ear but I was fairly conservative just to be on the safe side.

Don't bother with K&N or similar on a standard car as Peugeot will have spent a lot more time and money designing their induction pipes for specific cars than the aftermarket developers ever will.

Also, I don't mean to sound patronising but are you sure you're clutch isn't slipping or similar?

Edited by Grim.Badger

scumbag

The clutch is ok, I have tried in various gears etc by flooring it and it's all fine! I managed to stay in front of my mate in his 2.5 v6 vectra sri the other day till about 5th so it's getting better!

Sign in to follow this