• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Lambda Wiring

Richie-Van-GTi

If Im wiring a lambda into a car that doesnt use a lambda how do I wire the 2 whites? (heater)

Is it just one switched live and other is ground?

cybernck

it has been discussed recently so it's best to do a SEARCH.

in the meantime, here's a pic of what wire goes where in Motronic loom:

205Mi32_Ph5_014.thumb.jpg

Richie-Van-GTi

I have tried a search but all I can find is standard wiring answers with regards to the looms etc. I donthave a standard loom or ECU etc, Im using one purely for an air/fuel gauge and need to know how to get the heater working on it.

Richie-Van-GTi

yeah kind of, still isnt clearly stated if its timed or switched live? Will PM sam as he states he wired to ignition but has a ? after it.

Owain1602

It needs to be on a timer, its not that important in your situation to get the length of time spot on because you can just run it for a bit to get the sensor up to working temp, do you have a cat fitted? if not the sensor will take longer to heat up unless you place it close to the exhaust ports.

Rippthrough

Timed circuit, although some of the wideband sensors like the innovate one control it themselves and just need a constant 12v feed.

Richie-Van-GTi

hmm, looks like I need to come up with a timer solution. Any one any ideas on how to do it? Lmabda will be in the downpipe just after the bend and I dont have a cat.

Rippthrough

Tbh, with narrowband sensors I don't think it matters too much bar the extra current drain, certainly I've seen a few cars that just power the heater straight from the fuel pump relay.

Richie-Van-GTi

how long doo glowplugs stay on for? could I use on of the control boxes off a TD?

Rippthrough
how long doo glowplugs stay on for? could I use on of the control boxes off a TD?

I not 100% but I think its 30 seconds, which would be fine, I don't know if they have afterglow too though?

I know mine only takes 8 seconds to get up to temperature, but it's a brand new bosch sensor and heater.

Owain1602

It all depends on the car really but older totally mechanical diesel pumps will stay on for quite a bit, not 30seconds though. Whilst other newer ones dont come on for long at all and its not to aid starting really, its just to shorten the flame burn delay whilst its cold.

Im sure you could use a glow plug relay quite simply really, all that will happen is the sensor will not become active if its not up to temperature. But it all depends on other things really, hard to say without knowing the management system.

Maybe it will be using lambda all the time, even with a cold engine which would not be good cos the sensor wouldn't be up to temperature therefore not producing the right signal, but might be irrelevant.

Will be simple though, no need to over-think.

Rippthrough

narrow bands are high impedence until warmed up, but they would give incorrect readings if they aren't warm enough.

I've just been told its a touch under 20 seconds by a diesel owning friend of mine, which is still fine.

-Phillip

pug_ham

Longer than it takes for the light to go out on the dash, listen carefully & you can hear them click off so I'd say 20-30 seconds on mine.

There were some 405's that had a different glowplug relay which kept them powered for a few minutes on cold engines afaik.

Graham.

Richie-Van-GTi

execellent, I thin k I have a 306 TD glowplug relay somewhere, if not I'll get one fom a breakers this week.

Thanks for all the advice :unsure:

snillet

There´s no need for the timer, for exaple XU9JAZ and XU9J4Z and TONS of other engines just powers it straight from the fuelpumpfeed.

Sign in to follow this