• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
frodo_monkey

[engine_work] 1.6 Engine Removal, Build And Refit

Richie-Van-GTi

aha, you still have ecu plugged in, try plugging the afm in as well. I had a similar issue first tim eI tried the carb conversion. Plugged the afm in and it fired up.

frodo_monkey

SHE RUNS! :wub:

If anybody in N Yorks has issues, I can thoroughly recommend jimbean's work at Frenchtune!

Bring on the rollers :ph34r:

max0
SHE RUNS! :wub:

If anybody in N Yorks has issues, I can thoroughly recommend jimbean's work at Frenchtune!

Bring on the rollers :ph34r:

So what was up with it? Glad its sorted. Jims got skills

Richie-Van-GTi

out of interest frodo, have you got ignition advance set up and what size jets are you using? Im guessing if its R1's then the they are the 40mm mikuni's.

frodo_monkey

Honestly don't know about the jets - I told Shenpar the spec of the engine and they rebuilt the carbs for me. Not running advance at the minute!

Just want to say a big thank-you to max0 for helping me out of a problem - holed my rad putting the 205 on the trailer in preparation for the rollers tomorrow, within half an hour Andy was round with his to borrow and an hour after I buggered mine up the car was back running! :ph34r:

Awesome mate, seriously owe you one :wacko:

max0
Honestly don't know about the jets - I told Shenpar the spec of the engine and they rebuilt the carbs for me. Not running advance at the minute!

Just want to say a big thank-you to max0 for helping me out of a problem - holed my rad putting the 205 on the trailer in preparation for the rollers tomorrow, within half an hour Andy was round with his to borrow and an hour after I buggered mine up the car was back running! ;)

Awesome mate, seriously owe you one :wacko:

Anytime, glad shes back up and running. We are all waiting for the results tomorrow, good luck :ph34r: Cheers for the lend of your engine stand

Richie-Van-GTi

keep us infoirmed of how it goes, Im tempted to drive down and see it on rollers but got too much to do to mine today.

pug_ham
SHE RUNS! ;)

Hope ther rollers went well, Come on Si, what was the problem or is it to embarressing to tell. :)

Graham.

frodo_monkey

Me, embarrassed?! Confused by electrics yes, embarrassed no :)

The problem was a small issue with my wiring, namely that it was crap. However Jim has done a most excellent job and stripped a whole load of spaghetti out ;)

frodo_monkey

Well, what an action-packed day!

After the radiator snag last night, I figured today would go fairly well... Unfortunately fate got in the way! As soon as Richard from Motoscope drove the car onto the rollers we noticed the HUGE amount of fuel weeing out of the bottom of the carbs. So, the first two hours was spent dissecting the carbs to sort that before anything else ;)

With the carbs back together and fitted it was time for the first run... To say it was misfiring like a bitch would be the understatement of the year! It was popping and banging ridiculously, but then as it was just coasting down from 6500rpm there was the most almighty BANG followed by flames shooting out the front of the carbs. "Bugger, thats not good" would be a polite version of what I said ^_^

So after a small coffee break we took the dizzy cap off to find the rotor arm had grenaded itself. Phew! With a new one fitted, Richard set to work curing the misfire and eventually cracked it. It was then time for more power runs and adjusting the cam timing... Which luckily I had spot-on!

So, with misfire cured, he did the final power run and the figures were pretty good, exactly as I expected:

128bhp (fly) at 6600rpm, and 105lb/ft of torque! Best £230 rolling road session ever!

Work on the car has to stall a bit now as I'm off to the Falklands on Sunday. But when I get back it'll be time for a quick oil change and I'll fit some decent plug leads rather than the crappy ones on there at the minute. Then I'll finally be ready to race!

Frodo :)

pug_ham

Nice one Si, good results for a 1.6. :)

Sounds like it was a good day but Friday the 13th always has the possibility of issues.

Graham.