• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

So! Who's Confused By The Vems Wbo2 Wiring?

M3Evo

First of all, a big thank you to Cybernck and Tom_m for taking the time and effort to organise the group buy! :lol:

Secondly, we've had a look through the instructions linked to at the end of the GB thread and so the confusion has set in!

My best guess is that you're supposed to open up the 15pin plug in the loom that's only got two wires (red and blue) and add in more wires for the WBO2 output?

The next thing that confuzzled the hell out of me is the output configuration. It seems to suggest that having a 0v-5v range isn't recommended, but the Emerald has a 0v-5v input which can be set up to be an AFR signal.

I'd really like to be able to get the AFR running to the data logger (and live adjustments screen) if at all possible.

The other thing is that there doesn't seem to be a way of getting an output that relates to the EGT which it would also be nice to be able to log on the ECU. Am I right in thinking that or just confusing myself? :P

Cheers!

Alex

huwjones

You need to solder a couple of wires to pins 1 (+ve) and 9 (-ve) to send the signal to the ECU and is configurable to use 0-5v

# not recommended (proportionally higher vout_conf):

* 4V / lambda : maximum practical (max 1.25 lambda limited by output range)

* 5V / lambda could be useful with -1.5V offset (0.6 lambda => 1.5 V ; 1.3 lambda => 5V). This would allow the best interfacing precision (although 3V / lambda is already very good).

Not 100% on why they don't recommend using 5v range. I can only guess the electronics get too hot. What they seem to be saying here is that you use -1.5v as zero and 3.5v as full scale. This is giving lambda of 0-1.3 - I'm not sure if this is useful or not because I haven't gone into management systems yet!

Edited by huwjones

huwjones

I just can't see how you tell the ECU that 3.5v will be full scale. Bit confused with that one.

Rippthrough
I just can't see how you tell the ECU that 3.5v will be full scale. Bit confused with that one.

Should be easy with a mappable ecu?

If your using the stock one it only see's high and low anyway.

miamistu

Looks like there's some options in the Emerald to tell it what voltages correspond to which AFRs.

For some reason though, all this is tucked away in the data logger :?

miamistu

Also, how on earth do you set the voltage output to 0-5v? :)

M3Evo

Well, we've got the thing installed in the car and it all seems to work giving a reading of 20ish:1 without the engine on.

The Emerald seems to get the idea too as it gives a reading of.....12.2:1.

We've got it to read the same as the gauge on the 20:1, but everything else has gotta be out :D

Tried to load up the Megatune thing to see if we could figure that out but it just causes a fatal error on the computer so that's a no go too :(

Unfortunately you can't give Emerald a -ve voltage value either.

Still, it's progress! :D

Rippthrough
Well, we've got the thing installed in the car and it all seems to work giving a reading of 20ish:1 without the engine on.

The Emerald seems to get the idea too as it gives a reading of.....12.2:1.

We've got it to read the same as the gauge on the 20:1, but everything else has gotta be out :)

Tried to load up the Megatune thing to see if we could figure that out but it just causes a fatal error on the computer so that's a no go too B)

Unfortunately you can't give Emerald a -ve voltage value either.

Still, it's progress! :)

Where are you earthing it to? ideally should be the same place as the emerald, did you do the config routine in open air?

miamistu
0V (well, say < 0.2V) used for unknown (eg. sensor not heated yet)

vout_conf=0x33 1V / lambda 0.65v@lambda=0.65, 1.5v@Lambda=1.5

only when this is the only choice; or when viewing with a handheld DVM

vout_conf=0x99 (appr. 153 in MegaTune, but you can finetune with DVM or readings from the connected device) 3V / lambda was successfully tried with motec input. The input curve in Motec can be configured (allows 0..5V input range);

0.8 lambda => 2.4V obviously

1.0 lambda => 3.0V obviously

(Man)mttg13mttc99(mcs) to set vout_conf (position 0x13) to value 0x99 manually

not recommended (proportionally higher vout_conf):

4V / lambda : maximum practical (max 1.25 lambda limited by output range)

5V / lambda could be useful with -1.5V offset (0.6 lambda => 1.5 V ; 1.3 lambda => 5V). This would allow the best interfacing precision (although 3V / lambda is already very good).

OK, got megasquirt to talk to the vems, but can't see how i'd change the vout_conf to change the voltage output to 0-5V.

Anyone got any pointers? :)

miamistu

The sensor + controller/display is a piece of piss to set up and works well, but has anyone managed to get an output into an aftermarket ecu yet?

Looking at the (badly written) instructions it appears possible but god knows how.

huwjones
Looking at the (badly written) instructions it appears possible but god knows how.

You're lucky you got any instructions :wub:

miamistu> i'll be contacting them soon about it as it seems to be a problem for everyone.

Surely it's an issue with peoples ECU's and not the WB02 :)

miamistu
You're lucky you got any instructions :lol:

I didn't, they were on the VEMS website

Surely it's an issue with peoples ECU's and not the WB02 :unsure:

You should be able to change the output of the VEMS to 0-5v (or whatever) for the ECU. This is the bit I'm struggling with. It must be possible as the website says they've had it working with a MOTEC :)

huwjones

Ah, righto. I was under the impression that the WB02 was fixed to 0-5v signal, and you adjusted the ECU to suit. Will have a play tonight...

M3Evo

Hmmmm, we tested the outouts on mine last night with a multimeter (two seperate multimeters actually just to be sure) and mine's giving no output at all! :unsure:

Either we've accidentally switched the output off (I hope) or there's something wrong with it :lol:

tom_m

few, i thought i was just being dense!!!

i've not had a go at setting it up yet because its not going into the car until the turbo is installed, but i want it to talk to an emerald too!

looks like i need to get the soldering iron out then!

miamistu

Spent a while looking at this yesterday and I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to use round.ini in conjunction with megatune but I'll be buggered if I can get it to work! :huh:

M3Evo
but I'll be buggered if I can get it to work! :)

Now there's no incentive to get it to work :huh:

miamistu

Er, surely that'd be an incentive NOT to get it to work! :huh:

miamistu

Has anyone got a 0-5V output yet? We're still pretty stumped :)

M3Evo

Or indeed any output at all.

Stu's gives an output which does change with the AFR reading on the gauge, but we've no idea what the voltages correspond to in terms of AFR so we can't program the ECU to give a meaningful readout.

Mine on the other hand doesn't give any readout at all, but the pins don't read open circuit so presumably they're connected to something.

Off topic, did you get my PM the other day cybernck? :D

Edited by M3Evo

tom_m

from what i can see the output is set to 1:1 as default, so lambda value = volts out.

and you can change this by updating a table in the firmware and changing the scalar.

not entirly sure how to do all that yet, but i'm working on it! :D

M3Evo

Aah, will try sending it again :blush:

Back on topic, we tried changing the VOut config thing from it's seemingly default value of '1' to '153' and various other settings up to 255 and it made no difference to the VOut.

The only thing we managed to get to change the VOut was telling it to output the EGT instead of the AFR and that worked fine.

Also, regardless of the setting, my gauge gives no output :(

Mandic

More and more I think there is something worng with Your gauge,

Cheers

Ziga

M3Evo

Me too Ziga, the two dead LEDs in the lower part of the gauge don't fill me with hope either. They do work sometimes though :blush:

Sign in to follow this