• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Higgy

Come Look At My Shaft!

sonofsam

Are they not some kind of 'end float ' device?

welshpug

yup, just undo the 13mm nut on the threaded part and withdraw the torsion bar from the inner side, that cup will come out with a large screwdriver if really necessary but you dont need to remove it.

be carefull with that screw as it sets how far into the beam tube the trailing arm axles go so copper grease them up.

my beam has luckily slid apart with a few gentle taps of my 8lb hammer.

futura

Would fit these shafts back on?

I bought the beam as recon'd by someone before it was sold to the guy I got it from.

By the looks of it, it had been refurb'd but quite badly as there was no metal cup on the base of the shaft on one side. The trailing arm movements ate the cross member seal and water infiltrated and washed away the grease around the first bearing.

post-5972-1170246101_thumb.jpg

post-5972-1170246120_thumb.jpg

pug_ham
Would fit these shafts back on?

No, they are beyond being used again imo.

One looks to have some kind of a machined sleeve on & the other has bearing imprints from the inner bearing surface which I've never seen before.

Graham.

futura

damn it I paid £170 for that beam, which I thought was good! :P

Anthony

That first shaft looks U/S with damage around the outer bearing. That shaft was clearly replaced as part of the recon, but without the outer cup fitted on the shaft it was never going to seal properly on the seal and premature failure was inevitable :P

The second shaft it's hard to tell from the photo - if the inner bearing area is just polished then it'll be fine, whereas if it's pitted then it's U/S

futura

The shaft from the second photo is only polished not pitted, at least that would be a small consolation if I could re-use it.

futura

To keep the costs down, I attempted to extract the shafts by myself. Pictures:

For the first time ever on camera, a rear beam in copulation :)

p1010022mediumxa4.jpg

The lower shaft pushes out the upper shaft as I hit the heated upper arm.

p1010025mediumin5.jpg

With some heat, penetrating grease, elbow oil, a big hammer and a lot of persuasion, the above set up worked for me, that's £20 saved :D

welshpug

I preffered the 30 seconds with a press method myself :D but then we dont al have friends with handy tools so its nice to know there are other methods possible!

futura

If I had had the choice I would probably have gone for the friend's handy tools :)

Not sure the above method will work everytime, I must have been lucky and the shaft must not have needed 15T pressure to get out :D

I do have a big blister on my hand now!

Edited by futura

Sign in to follow this