• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Higgy

Come Look At My Shaft!

Higgy

Hi,

I took off and stripped my beam on Saturday. I noticed that the passenger side stopped moving about 4 months ago so knew something was not right. Here is what I found:

post-6419-1164030187_thumb.jpg

post-6419-1164030200_thumb.jpg

post-6419-1164030218_thumb.jpg

Higgy.

P.S. Thanks to Wurzel & Jonmurige for their beam documents on the mainsite.

Anthony

Pretty much the usual.

Notice on the better of the two shafts the large spacing between the neddle indents - looks like that was a crappy GSF type bearing that someone had used in the beam, as the original OE bearing neddles are much closer together than that.

willxs

oh dear. doesnt look to healthy. Jon has a good one for sale at the moment.

you would of thought that if there was enough water to corrode one shaft as bad as that then it would of affected the other side alot more?

pug_ham

Thats almost as bad as the one from Nathanlgd's beam I stripped last year;

DSCF1222.th.jpg

If it had stopped moving around four months ago I'm surprised the shaft hadn't seized into the centre tube. :wub:

Graham.

Higgy
If it had stopped moving around four months ago I'm surprised the shaft hadn't seized into the centre tube. :(

Graham.

Well it was a b*tch to remove. :wub:

Thank god everything goes back together easier than it comes apart!

Not looking forward to cleaning the spines on the trailing arms, bit fiddly to get to. Tooth brush me thinks B)

Higgy.

Irish Al

Doesnt look too good. Am afraid to take mine off incase I never get it put together again !!!

Doof

Can you actually buy these trailing arm shafts new? How much are they?

Anthony
Can you actually buy these trailing arm shafts new? How much are they?

£55 plus VAT each

jaredboy
£55 plus VAT each

West Midlands Motorsport sell them for 44.31 inc VAT. each

WM-Motorsport

Anthony
West Midlands Motorsport sell them for 44.31 inc VAT. each

WM-Motorsport

No, that's a stub axle rather than trailing arm shaft...

B1ack_Mi16

Although they sell the shafts too.. but at 70£inc. vat.

Peugeot 205 Gti Pivot Tube

This is the main pivot tube that fits on the rear arms.

Push them in and out with a press

Price: £70.50 Inc VAT

I'm glad I got the two last from GSF before they stopped stocking them, I ordered 5 but could only get two. :)

jaredboy

Sorry..my bad!

Doof

http://www.wmmotorsport.com/acatalog/205_Rear_Beam.html

Is that a good price for the rear beam rebuild kit at £72?

Also how about these from autofive, is the radius arm shaft the right thing?:

ST130 Rear radius arm shafts each £59.50

ST029 Radius arm shaft + bearings + seals one side only £86.95

Edited by Doof

Alastairh

Impressive.

By memory my old 1.9 beam was similar to Nathangs one, which gave up on the way to Fcs this year in a cloud of smoke, much to mine and Anthonys amusement.

If you want to save a few quid, spend the day down the scrappy stripping a few beams even off certain 306s. You will soon find a mint pair of shafts.

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

hoody_g
http://www.wmmotorsport.com/acatalog/205_Rear_Beam.html

Is that a good price for the rear beam rebuild kit at £72?

Also how about these from autofive, is the radius arm shaft the right thing?:

ST130 Rear radius arm shafts each £59.50

ST029 Radius arm shaft + bearings + seals one side only £86.95

Yeah they are the correct shafts

Has anyone bought the rebuild kit for £72 and is it a good price and quality

Hoody

Anthony
Has anyone bought the rebuild kit for £72 and is it a good price and quality

I think from memory that it's a bit cheaper than that from Peugeot themselves and that'll be genuine OE parts...

pug_ham

I think its about right, maybe a bit over priced from WMMS but the autofive kit sounds good if they are oe bearings but it'll be + vat (- the forum discount) & delivery.

I got some bits last week from Peugeot & it was £43 for 2 x inner & outer bearings, seals & carriers.

Graham.

felix2566

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but while we are on the subject of beams.... I took mine appart yesterdy to find one side was nice and shiney, clearly had be refurbished not so long ago. But the other side was knackered beyond belief. There was nothing left of the outer bearing! I really dont know why, who ever had done the refurb on the one side had not just carried on and done the other.

It looks like I will be needing a new beam tube unfortunately. Is Pug the only place to get them from? There are none in the scrappies near me. If I get a new tube from Peugeot will it just be the tube on its own or will it come with the attachments for the torsion bars? If it is with out the torsion bar attachements how do i get them off?

thanks.

Wurzel
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but while we are on the subject of beams.... I took mine appart yesterdy to find one side was nice and shiney, clearly had be refurbished not so long ago. But the other side was knackered beyond belief. There was nothing left of the outer bearing! I really dont know why, who ever had done the refurb on the one side had not just carried on and done the other.

It looks like I will be needing a new beam tube unfortunately. Is Pug the only place to get them from? There are none in the scrappies near me. If I get a new tube from Peugeot will it just be the tube on its own or will it come with the attachments for the torsion bars? If it is with out the torsion bar attachements how do i get them off?

thanks.

I'm pretty sure that the tube (if still available) from Pug will have the end peices pressed on. I've not actually heard of anyone buying one due to the high price.

Have a quick search but basically, any tube (I guess 309 from your signature) will suffice, be it base model to GTi). There are subtle differences but none that will effect handling etc. Just be aware that 205 and 309 tubes differ in length.

The problem with scrapyard hunts is the fact that you have no idea of the condition until the beam is stripped. Some scrappies allow you to do this on site prior to purchase, most don't. Put up a wanted post, someone might be able to post a spare one to you as they are within the weight limit for Royal Mail parcels (I've done it before).

Ahl

I've seen that on a friends 205. It hadn't been refurbished, but again one side was perfect and the other was absolutely knackered. Was it the drivers side that was shafted on yours too?

felix2566

yup sure was drivers side! I wonder why...

I think it had been redone a while ago because the passenger side was mint, I already have bought some shafts to put in and it looked the same as the new ones. Also the grease on it was still yellow, not black, it came appart very easily too.

I'll just have to keep looking, luckily I have a spare car to use......it was an amazing bargin off my mate, a J reg nissan micra S, get in! it is all of 988cc! It does 65mph! lol....

welshpug

beam tubes are still available, £306 plus vat for a 309 unit, and about £270 odd IIRC from buying one for a 205 2 years ago.

as Pugtorque mentioned earlier the bearings and seals required are cheapest from peugeot themselves.

I have also just dismantled a beam off a 309, one side has a pitted trailing arm stub axle but the bearings are still intact

25-11-06_1033.jpg

25-11-06_1044.jpg

but the other side's outer bearing has gone totally and the stub axle has won away half the tube!!

25-11-06_1042.jpg

felix2566

I had really good read of all the posts before starting work, especially the guide, was very helpfull.

i have all the parts already from Pug but the beam is now holding me up. Was a bit gutting to find that it was b***rd.

welshpug, in your last picture, where that screw goes through that cup into the torsion bar how do you get it out? I have new ones so im not bothered if it get damaged. The torsion bar is still in there too, will it just hammer out with the screw?

yeti-dj

Its not really a "screw" but to get it off you need to undo the nut that secures it in place then simply,lol,remove the torsion bar. The "screw" goes into the end of the torsion bar so doesnt need removed before the torsion bar comes out.

hope i am on about the bit you are and that this helps you out.

Last time i did a beam i had to heat the trailing arm and then clamp the torsion bar in a vice then belt the trailing arm to get it off the torsion bar, rar brute force sometimes is good.....

felix2566

Yep I think we are on about the same part, I will try the vice and hammer method, sounds as good as any. I need to replace those 'screws' /bolts/studs because one the part to put a screw driver in broke off so I had to hacksaw another slot, not leaving much thread left.

Sign in to follow this