• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
foreigner

205 1.6 Gti Converting To 1.9 Td

foreigner
Have you tryed Martins yard, last time I was up there he had several TD engines in? Would be your best bet locally unless you try A5, but they can be expensive!!

Look forward to see you flying round H/H!!

WHERE CAN I find Martins Yard?

Since you seems to be from H/H where are all breakers there??

I go to those in Bushey and they are quite limited.

thanx

PUGugly
WHERE CAN I find Martins Yard?

Since you seems to be from H/H where are all breakers there??

I go to those in Bushey and they are quite limited.

thanx

PM me for details mate.

Bushey breakers is ok but not much choice for the pugs as a rule, really good place for the Jap stuff, got plenty of bit for my old Celica there. Boy was I sad to see it go, straight line not a lot touched it :o but a bit to big to through around the twisty bits!! :D In fact sometimes just plain scary!!! Oh and expensive to tune, not a lot available for it here, big choice in states but postage is a real crippeler!

foreigner

just bought 405 1.9td.

want to transfer the engine and gearbox to my 205.

any diferences to 306 or fairly similar?

Tidy_Andy

pretty much the same, if your lucky it will have come with a bosch fuel pump rather than the lucas unit that most 306's seem to come fitted with which means you can safely run it on veggie oil :blink:

jim21070
just bought 405 1.9td.

want to transfer the engine and gearbox to my 205.

any diferences to 306 or fairly similar?

No, and an excellent choice if I may say so ;)

It'll invariably have the Bosch pump. Just a point to note if it is a later one. Try to get the glowplug preheat relay and the post heat and cold advance relays from the donor. These engines have post-heating on the glowplugs and electrically controlled cold injection advance on the pump that cuts out when the coolant reaches 60 degrees. It DOES make a difference.

foreigner

thanx.

it's K reg and first question I always ask is "What injection pump is fitted?"

only buy ones with bosch. don't need any conversion at all.

thanx for advice about postheating nearly forgot about that.

it's nice car what a shame about the starter motor, tyres and suspension, steering and brakes but otherwise great car, drove it from wales to london without any problems.

is 205's fuel tank plastic or metal?

jim21070
is 205's fuel tank plastic or metal?

Plastic...

Yep, 405 TDs are great cars. We still have one in the family but the tin-worms are gathering around it with their little knives and forks and napkins around their necks ready for a feast :)

foreigner

ok, so there goes smashed windscreen (courtesey of nearby council estate ) on 405 andof goes my plan to use it.

so I am gonna break it completely

- any advice on all parts I could use in my 205 conversion

- any advice at all please

Guest BrainFluid
thanx.

it's K reg and first question I always ask is "What injection pump is fitted?"

only buy ones with bosch. don't need any conversion at all.

Thats not exactly true, what you should say is they they need the least converion to run on veggy oil.

You will still have problems cold starting esp on a cold day, And during the coldest days your veggy oil may well become to gloopy to use.

The only method of heating the heg oil before the engine warms up is by using uprated glow plugs and doing like Jim says by altering the circuit so that the glow plugs stay on for longer than they are programmed to do as standard.

Personally I would get a set that are designed to say on loner, wire them upto a dash switch and leave them on untill there is warmth comming out of your vents, then you will know that the coolant has warmed up and will be warming the fuel up via the standard coolant heat exchanger that is fitted as standard to all XUD engines. This will help running from cold and will prevent carbon build up in your engine, big problem with cold 100% veg oil as fuel.

And during the colder months you really will have to mix some diesel in there 30% diesel should be fine with fresh veg oil, more like 40%-50% diesel if your going to be using used veg oil.

Edited by BrainFluid

foreigner

I don't know what oil everyone else uses but mine is setled sometimes over months as I have too much of it.

then only the top layer is used and never had any problems with starting even when I left it for a month standing still it always fired on first time. maybe I am just lucky but the car cost me £300 cheapest veggy kit is £400 and by the time mot runs out there is everthing else breaking down apart from engine so i really don't see any reason why to do anything with this type of engine. on some other forum this engine was praised so much as ideal for veggy oil.

but that's just me crazy foreigner with no money.

Sign in to follow this