• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
S33GAV

New Grp N Exhaust

S33GAV

I bought the Grp n backbox and centre pipe from Special Tuning to replace my horribly loud 3 piece sleeve system.

My problem is that the grp n centre pipe is MUCH smaller (length) than the current one - i'm talking 6 - 8" short (guessing from looking at it). Also, it looks like it's a fair bit thinner than the current one too (where it slips over the downpipe).

Does this mean I've got a non-standard downpipe?!?!

Here's some pics to show you my current system:

Connection between centre pipe and downpipe:

DSC00118-1.jpg

Weird thing on my current centre pipe, no idea what it is?!?!

DSC00119.jpg

New shiny Grp n:

DSC00116.jpg

Can anyone offer some help?!

Cheers

Gav

chris1986

just a thought, did you order it for a catalyst model or not. i have ordered one a week ago and i'm still waiting but they did state that the one i have ordered was for a non cat model

S33GAV

There isn't an option for a cat or non cat, all they have is the following:

Ref: 7065A

Gp N Competition Interpipe for Standard Downpipe

Ref: 7065B

Gp N Competition Rear Silencer to Match 7056A

And they say it fits a standard downpipe.

chris1986

i would ring them and see what they say, they might have given you the wrong one, you never know. good luck sorting it

boombang

There is only one and the only option is to make it fit.

Poor quality metal, poor quality paint (I reckon its highly pourous), poor fit.

All in all they are very expensive bits of mild steel tube painted in primer.

S33GAV
There is only one and the only option is to make it fit.

Poor quality metal, poor quality paint (I reckon its highly pourous), poor fit.

All in all they are very expensive bits of mild steel tube painted in primer.

Eh? :)

What are you saying, it's normal that the grp n system from ST won't fit and that I have to botch it together somehow?

I read up on this system and asked the forum if it would fit - nobody mentioned any issues. I can only think that it's a crappy aftermarket downpipe, but if what you're saying is right..... :P

Martin W

Pug sports system is usually a half inch too long on each end (depending on ur preference) and needs cutting down to length. Possible a little more as I cut off so it sits under the rear bumper and fitnig on the mounting nicely.

Trial an error my friend is the way to fit the system, I cut 1 inch off one end and half inch off the other, but cant remember which way round. I just measure my existing PS system againsh the new one.

Hope that helps

Martin

boombang
What are you saying, it's normal that the grp n system from ST won't fit and that I have to botch it together somehow?

Yes.

It is designed to fit the 205 and 309.

Usually on the 205 the rear section is fine and centre needs cutting down.

On a 309 the centre is perfect and rear need 270mm adding in length to the tailpipe.

IMHO - total tat sold for a hugely inflated price.

S33GAV

Just to recap - the new grpn n centre section is aboutn 8" TOO SHORT. Looking at it, it looks like the downpipe has been cut and welded - I wonder if the downpipe should be much longer, like 8" longer.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying here? The new centre pipe is WAY shorter, so it just wont fit?!?!

Fcuk sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Edited by S33GAV

Martin W
Just to recap - the new grpn n centre section is aboutn 8" TOO SHORT. Looking at it, it looks like the downpipe has been cut and welded - I wonder if the downpipe should be much longer, like 8" longer.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying here? The new centre pipe is WAY shorter, so it just wont fit?!?!

Fcuk sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

The Pug Sport system should be 1 or 2 inches too long for a 205 (as boombag said). If it is too short then I suggest u contact special tuning and explain your problem because that is wrong.

Matin

S33GAV
The Pug Sport system should be 1 or 2 inches too long for a 205 (as boombag said). If it is too short then I suggest u contact special tuning and explain your problem because that is wrong.

Matin

I have a feeling the downpipe has been shortened to accomodate the old crappy system - dont suppose anyone has a picture of the downpipe under the car? I have nothing to compare it to at the mo, so cant be sure the downpipe has been shortened - i'll keep searching the forum...

Thanks for the replies though, much appreciated.

Edit: Just so you know I have searched and assumed because I had a 3 piece system it would just work - seemingly my 3 piece system isn't quite standard, so maybe I need an Arvin dp

Edited by S33GAV

Miles

Your downpipe has been modded in the past, It should have a bend in it and run for about the 8 or 9"'s from the crimped part, so I think you might need to buy a phase 1 downpipe.

But the std 2 piece system is allot better is the Dia is 2" rather than the 1 1/"2 of the group 'N', This pipe was really designed for the phase 1 GTi's of 84>87

See if you can send it back

S33GAV
Your downpipe has been modded in the past, It should have a bend in it and run for about the 8 or 9"'s from the crimped part, so I think you might need to buy a phase 1 downpipe.

But the std 2 piece system is allot better is the Dia is 2" rather than the 1 1/"2 of the group 'N', This pipe was really designed for the phase 1 GTi's of 84>87

See if you can send it back

So if I was to buy a phase 1 dp (old 3 piece system, like an Arvin) it would simply fit with my grp n bits?

Npt sure what you meant by your second point?

Miles

The second option will give you some more power over the group 'N' system, not allot and I'll dount you'll notice it but just thought I'd point that out.

But getting the phase 1 D/P will allow the centre section to fit without as much work or adding bit's of pipe in

S33GAV

Ok cheers miles. Think I'll go order an Arvin downpipe then

boombang

One thing I really recommend is to wipe down the pipe with thinners and spray with high temp paint.

They rust very badly but re-painting helps a lot.

Sorry for blunt post last night - it was the beer talking.

When these exhausts were circa £120 (Peugeot Sport price, with PSOOC discount) they were a great bargain. Considering DES are doing a stainless version for £200ish they just are expensive for what they are.

Ryan
When these exhausts were circa £120 (Peugeot Sport price, with PSOOC discount) they were a great bargain. Considering DES are doing a stainless version for £200ish they just are expensive for what they are.

They used to be even less than that. Mine was less than £90 (£55 for the backbox and £20 for the centre pipe iirc. Plus VAT). Since Special Tuning took over the sales they seem to have whacked up the price on everything. :(

S33GAV

Just to finish this topic off, it turned out my old downpipe had been cut and shut, so I got myself a new Bosal downpipe and mated this to my grp n centre pipe and backbox - fit together with no probs, coolio.

cybernck

does the bosal downpipe have a divider in it?

S33GAV
does the bosal downpipe have a divider in it?

No it doesn't. Is that a prob?

Grim.Badger

I didn't notice any difference between the Peugeot original exhaust on mine and the Bosal I have now, except the bosal is a touch louder (much louder at the moment as I can't seal the manifold). I've also heard that the bosal system is considered quite good, despite not having the divider.

Technically the divider should allow better gas flow iirc.

On a slight off topic, are you meant to use any sealant/putty on an olive joint?

sorr

Just my opinion, but I may be biased given I recommended the Bosal to Gav :)

I think the split is over rated for two reasons:

1. Several people have had performance issues from the pipe splitter failing, so partially blocking the pipe and restricting flow.

2. If Maxi uses them on his MI to get over 200BHP they must flow well enough.

Grim.Badger - Make sure you have a new gasket in the downpipe to manifold joint and that you have the correct bolts and springs. When putting Gav's together I found the springs to be too short or the bolt too long, depandant on what way you look at it, so did not give enough tension to seal the joint. So in short not the joint should not have any sealant in it.

maxi

Bosals are the kiddy, and that is FROM MY EXPERIENCE. The std bosal is not restrictive, I made 216BHP and 174Ibft of torque with the standard system. Mi's with a bosal non split downpipe in conjuction with a shortened inlet manifold wont fail to please and have the edge over other std mi's. That is also FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Maxi

Ahl

Fair do's maxi.

I think NickR once cut open a bosal, arvin and OEM backbox and found the arvin to be the same as OEM, but the bosal to be completely different and possibly worse. It put me off using them.

I think Skip Brown Cars may be cheaper than Special Tuning or so Del has told me a few times.

Plus they are a very good company to deal with.

The stainless group N exhaust from DES sounds interesting though...I wonder if they would do a stainless OEM one too.

welshpug

worth a go as their prices are very good, though a Gp N diameter with larger silencers would be the best compromise, better flow but still keeping the levels down. (Gp N isnt much larger if at all as the main difference is in the silencers)

Sign in to follow this