• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Bike Bodies - What Is The Real Difference Compared To Aftermarket Bodi

sonofsam
They look nice, what application are they for? All depends on cost. This setup has cost nearly £500 now, so another £100 for trumpets will take it up near KMS money and i'd rather just buy them than spend any more on this setup.

Ta, Beleive they are venturis for some sort of gas burner.We have chucks for Weber and Janspeed though :P

£100 would cover set-up cost and materials, but then you've still got labour and possibly tooling on top of that.

On the upside though I do have plans to convert my wood turning lathe in the garage so it can take metal blanks.So maybe able to help you and others out in the future:)

Alternatively a similar profile can be acheived with a straight length of pipe, former and power press.

DrSarty

I'm absolutely NOT as technically experienced as you guys, BUT, re: dreamweaver bunging in the original injectors that phat sold him, as he said flow tested etc, (instead of the saabs which I'm convinced he'll try first owing to his original bad experience with them), I HOPE these injectors will still perform as tested.

I say this because in my std Mi conversion which I've just completed, I had taken the injectors to a professional tuning shop in Peterborough with RR and had them tested and cleaned etc, complete with certificate. However, when it came to first fire up, one of the injectors to my complete amazement after a massive misfire thread http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=64963&hl= was proved to be delivering half the fuel of the others.

In short don't trust that injectors will still work according to the results after the clean & flow test, if they have been sat for a while. It happened to me anyway.

Good luck DM - I'm with you on this because I plan to go with R1 bike carbs.

Dr S :P

James_m

Thing is though, its been mapped on the injectors on the car now, so changing them is going to throw everything. Does your RR graph from the mapping have AF/R ratio on there somewhere?

It seems crazy that the mappers would even attempt to map it with injectors that could'nt fuel enough!?

pug_ham

If injector placement isn't the problerm, what about injector angle?

Possibly its changed slightly for use on jenvey & KMS tb's but with bike bodies will the injector angle be set to suit the application & because of this spoil the spray pattern on a different (non bike) engine?

Graham.

Robsbc

Possibly its changed slightly for use on jenvey & KMS tb's but with bike bodies will the injector angle be set to suit the application & because of this spoil the spray pattern on a different (non bike) engine?

Graham.

Not long ago Chris White who use to be a fourm member had a Mi16 with some regrinds that car only made 171BHP on Emerald rollers with Jenvey bodies mapped by DW...He wrote a few posts asking why it never made more BHP he was hoping for but no one ever knew why....

Kates also made similar power but now she's on the 190's with a bigger inlet cam headwork and 4-2-1 manifold and I think is running Mi16 injectors @ 4 bar...

Edited by Robsbc

Dream Weaver
Thing is though, its been mapped on the injectors on the car now, so changing them is going to throw everything. Does your RR graph from the mapping have AF/R ratio on there somewhere?

It seems crazy that the mappers would even attempt to map it with injectors that could'nt fuel enough!?

As mentioned by someone above, you can enter the new injector flow figures into the Emerald, and it will re-align everything throughout the map, so thats not a problem.

Graham.

That could be an issue if using the bike boody injector position, but i'm just using the std injector position, and I think Damien is on his setup as well.

Not long ago Chris White who use to be a fourm member had a Mi16 with some regrinds that car only made 171BHP on Emerald rollers with Jenvey bodies mapped by DW...He wrote a few posts asking why it never made more BHP he was hoping for but no one ever knew why....

Kates also made similar power but now she's on the 190's with a bigger inlet cam headwork and 4-2-1 manifold and I think is running Mi16 injectors @ 4 bar...

I always think back to Chris's BX as I read that thread a few times, he was on Mi injectors also.

Going back to the Saab Red injectors I have, Bosch 0280 150 431, 359cc/min flow at 3 bar. They appear to be 12 ohms impedance, rather than the 16 ohms of the std Mi injectors - would this cause an issue with the Emerald?

I fancy fitting them this afternoon for tomorrows session.

phatgti

Speak to the mapper first.

smckeown
They appear to be 12 ohms impedance, rather than the 16 ohms of the std Mi injectors - would this cause an issue with the Emerald?

The emerald manual will tell you what imputence injectors are compatible, nothing on their site, or give emerald a quick call

Dream Weaver
Speak to the mapper first.

Wayne, its not being mapped tomorrow, its just an RR day for loads of Scoobs (plus my Pug as I run the website for them :)) but they are doing a bit of monitoring for each car as well.

This is more a chance to see what another RR gives on the current setup that gave me the 173 figure. If I get a similar power/torque figure, then I can move to the next step in the project, be that KMS bodies or back to std. If its much higher/lower then I can decide from there.

I could fit those cleaned injectors you gave me with the engine, but they have the little yellow washer missing, hence why I never fitted them - not sure if that collar is needed, but I cant get the caps off to replace them.

Dream Weaver

Just had a look through the last data logging session I did.

On full throttle runs, the injector duration is as follows:

2nd gear: 92% 9ms pulse width

3rd gear: 85% 8ms pw

4th gear: 80% 8ms pw

Not sure if that relates to duty cycle or not, or if it indeed means anything?

smckeown

from reading the emerald manual online, it seems to me those %ages are indeed maximum duration (i.e high). The manual also tells you how to re-scale the map when changing pressure or going to larger injectors.

B1ack_Mi16
from reading the emerald manual online, it seems to me those %ages are indeed maximum duration (i.e high). The manual also tells you how to re-scale the map when changing pressure or going to larger injectors.

I would get some new injectors in there asap.

Brand new ones can be bought from USA on eBay for next to nothing.

Got myself some 440cc/min ones for the 2.3litre 16v, at least I know that's enough :)

damien
That could be an issue if using the bike boody injector position, but i'm just using the std injector position, and I think Damien is on his setup as well.

yeap standard position here

Dream Weaver

Had a few emails from Dave Walker now.

He says 94% duration is OK, and he's seen up to 100% at times on his rollers, so that puts the injectors into doubt now :)

He said to only use new injectors if I need more fuel. I'll take it as is tomorrow then see what the RR operator says, plus i'll take the other injectors with me.

Dream Weaver

Problem solved - Today's RR Result :)

When I swapped the original bike throttle cam for the cut down std Mi one, I never bothered checking that the butterflies were all horizontal, so for that initial power run I did at Mikeanics the butterflies were travelling past horizontal and right round on themselves, blocking the air.

Chuffed with them now, and at least shows they do work. :)

Need to work on a decent linkage system now.

Rippthrough
Problem solved - Today's RR Result :)

When I swapped the original bike throttle cam for the cut down std Mi one, I never bothered checking that the butterflies were all horizontal, so for that initial power run I did at Mikeanics the butterflies were travelling past horizontal and right round on themselves, blocking the air.

Chuffed with them now, and at least shows they do work. :)

Need to work on a decent linkage system now.

There ya go, they rock after all

pugpete1108

fan bloody tastic mate, looks like i will be definetly going ahead with this conversion now.

glad you got the result you wanted plus a bit more , so it was an xtra 20bhp for the sake of the butterflies not being right.

happy days :)

Dream Weaver
:D

Sign in to follow this