• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Weight Reduction - The Next Level

Butler

Do you need a reversing light by law?

Just fit your fog light on MOT day. :(

Do you need the grill?

Daylight MOT? I know you can get these for bikes. You only need a horn and a speedo I think. You ditch all the lights. Maybe unpractical..

You probably only need the drivers side wing mirror.

Edited by Butler

SimonJ

Think Total Motorsport Solution in Leeds do the tubular wishbones, about £300.

Have you still got a brake servo? You could go for a bias pedal box or one from an early base model (no servo?) and do away with it.

Everything you do, think about sprint/hill regs before you do it, some things are hard to undo if you try an event, though admittedly most not.

smckeown
Do you need a reversing light by law?

No, and I don't have one. Although curiously looks like I have the light and not the wiring. So I can remove that

Do you need the grill?

Too cool to remove, plus weighs sod all

You ditch all the lights. Maybe unpractical..

Yeah already plan this, will cut some old one sup and it wil lsave 2kgs in total I predict. then leave the loom in place so easy swap

You probably only need the drivers side wing mirror.

Yeah was thinking that, but unfortunately some tracks overtake on different sides :( But i'll defo get lightweight mirrors on there so it will help

smckeown
Think Total Motorsport Solution in Leeds do the tubular wishbones, about £300.

Now thats an excellent bit of info thanks. I was looking into adjustable wishbones to I can run more neg. camber anyway. I've emailed them to see how much weight they save..cheers!

Have you still got a brake servo? You could go for a bias pedal box or one from an early base model (no servo?) and do away with it.

Not sure what the effect on my braking ability will be withoyt servo. I assume will require more effort to brake. Could be an option i suppose. Does anyone run without a servo and no pedal box ?

Everything you do, think about sprint/hill regs before you do it, some things are hard to undo if you try an event, though admittedly most not.

Will do cheers

bren_1.3

have u cut away all the metal away thats covered by the fibreglass arch extensions? or thought about drilling the underneath of the doors?

think about removing the metal lip thats behind the rear bumper. drill out the radiator mounting bar? and front panel. do you still have that carbon slam panel in place or a metal one?

all the wheel arch underseal has been mentioned i think....

are you using the brake line mounting brackets in the front wheel arches?

Batfink

is this car going to be used for competition?

If so then you need to see what you can and can't do before either splashing out on expensive stuff or doing alterations that are not reversable

smckeown
As simonj has already said, Totalmotorsportsolutions. They cost around £300.

Phoned them, they are 205 length not 309. I'm not changing back to 205 ength as my arches would look stupid, plus I think wide track front helps

Battery tray can be cut smaller.

Nice one, will look into that when I get the car back.

smckeown

Just to re-cap on where we are currently...

Items I plan to perform/purchase...

Item to be lightended..........Comments..............................Weight loss(Kg)Guessing

door......................remove excess weight from doors....2

light skins............make custom light skins............2

mini dash and new switchgear.custom mini dashand remove stalks..1

lighter tyres...........Yoko048r to Avon Acb10's...........4

lightweight mirrors.....Spa-design FG ones.................1

rear bumper change&lighten..assuming rear has heavy steel bits.2

rear valance lightening......remove fog and drill holes.........0.5

lighweight bumper brackets...replace steel with custom ali ones.3

lighter horn...........motorbike horn.....................0.5

lots of holes In shell....lets get drilling!.................0.5

underseal removal.......lets get scaping.....................1

remove washerbottle...........make up quick release mechanism....1

smaller fusebox................Expect to mess it up...............0.5

swis scheese door handles...just foor fun......................0

Subtotal........................................................................

Which would take my car down to .........................................................741

Gives me the same bhp per ton an an Elise 111R :)

Items either too expensive currently or beyond my means...

Item to be lightended . Comments . Weight loss (Kg)

lighter seats . Sparco Evo to Magnum carbon/kevlar . 6

lighter rims . Rota Attack to Oz Superleggera . 6

lighter seat rails . steel to ali . 3

lighter alternator . brise . 2.2

lighter starter . brise . 1.8

run without servo . or pedal box . 2

carbon floor liners . cut out floor and replace with CF liners . 2

rear light covers . with working LEDs . 1

lighter battery tray . lighten . 1

Subtotal 25

Which would take my car down to 716

Gives me the same bhp per ton as a Z4 Roadster

findlay

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't cutting out the floor and replacing the panels with CF ones not raise the height of the CoG? That would somewhat defeat the purpose for the marginal weight saving?

I'd always imagined dremeling my way around the inside of the doors and hole cutting the frames of them. Second phase to attack the inside of the rear quarter panels with the dremel, there does appear to be lots of metal there whose only purpose really seems to be holding the plastic trim panels on.

chunkymonkey

use helium to fill the tryes in stead of air

Rippthrough
use helium to fill the tryes in stead of air

:)

Don't want any pressure anyway...

Your not swiss cheesing the outer door handles are you? Big no no for aero.

stu_woac

If you put a 205 in a wind tunnel your find the handles dont cause any drag because of the mirrors but when he gets the spa style maybe a different story

Jonmurgie

While at Donington yesterday I had a chat with one of the 205 owners... and he was pleased to inform me that their 205 weighed just 620kg's! A quick look over the car and to me it looked like next to nothing had been changed, essentially it STILL had the standard glass, NO holes were drilled in any panels and the shell hadn't been dipped/painted etc.

What he have was:

1 x Bucket seat in Carbon/Kevlar

1 x Fire Extinguisher in Carbon

Stripped Interior

Scrapped off Underseal

And that was it... the guy was a grade 1 tosser with no idea, I have a pic of the car that I'll post later :D

• Haha 1

welshpug

so the roll cage weighs approximately 100kilos then.

boombang

Lightest 205 I know of around at the moment is 707kg - plus its a stock hatch rallycross car so restricted on what can be done in a big way.

macaroni

Before you race, you should make sure you have a dump, have not eaten for ages, blow your nose, cut your finger/toe nails, shave your head and crack one off the wrist.

That should lose a few grammes...

smckeown
While at Donington yesterday I had a chat with one of the 205 owners... and he was pleased to inform me that their 205 weighed just 620kg's! A quick look over the car and to me it looked like next to nothing had been changed, essentially it STILL had the standard glass, NO holes were drilled in any panels and the shell hadn't been dipped/painted etc.

What he have was:

1 x Bucket seat in Carbon/Kevlar

1 x Fire Extinguisher in Carbon

Stripped Interior

Scrapped off Underseal

And that was it... the guy was a grade 1 tosser with no idea, I have a pic of the car that I'll post later :)

Hopefully you told him he was talking s*ite :) Did you take the turbo barge then ? any progress o nyour car..missing the updates... :D

Rob Thomson

Surely you don't need FIA approved seats for sprinting, or for most other sorts of motorsport in this country?

For stage rallying the rules changed this year saying you have to have FIA approved harnesses, but you can still use standard seats if they're reasonably solid and you're a complete and utter mong. The regs for sprinting are even more lenient.

Rippthrough
If you put a 205 in a wind tunnel your find the handles dont cause any drag because of the mirrors but when he gets the spa style maybe a different story

They'd have to be bloody big mirrors to create a perfect vacuum 3 feet long and foot high. :)

bitchass 205

Well I have used all my weight reduction know how on the new 8v that I used on the mi16 and a little more, and i'm currently getting it down to 760 race weight (excluding me).

So I want to get it down to my original 750 Kgs, so I need to get 10kgs from somewhere ;)

Options i'm seriously looking into:

Teabag shell

First is attacking the shell, in a safe way, to get some weight off. I think a few Kgs can be gained by following Colin Satchel's example by drilling some holes in the rear and reducing the doors down to an absolute minimum. I'm happy to reduce the doors to next to nothing as I have good side bars. Here's his car for anyone that hasn't seen it:

Tregrehan2.JPG

i know this may sound a bit silly, or it may contravene race regs, but could you not cut out the boot floor and then brace it with some circular hollow sections, 5mm 0r 10mm diameter? i'm don't know what the ratio between metal removed verus metal put back is, would this be an option?

Failing that could you dril holes in the troughs in the boot floor?

smckeown

The first stage of the weighloss has arrived.

Oz Ultralegegra rims. 7x15, ET18, 5.7Kgs each. They are heavier than expected (superleggeras were 4.9kgs but neededd spacers so total came to 5.6kgs), but at least these are the correct ET so don't need any spacers, plus they are wider than superleggeras (7" vs 6.5)

ultraleggera.jpg

I was thinking of spraying them white..not so sure now :wub:

cybernck

leave them silver, they're brand new afterall.

if you curb them / damage the paint later on, then you could try white (which might look very good).

it's great they are available with the right offset.

how much did they cost btw?

smckeown

Another delivery today.

Avon Racing ACB10 Sport wet Slick 195/45/15. Weight saving over yokohama advan a048r is 1.8kgs (7.9kgs vs 6.1)

acb10s.jpg

acb10_tread.jpg

acb10.jpg

:unsure:

pdd144c

You should have got some second hand magnesium GRP A wheels. 16 x 8. Great for the track... Can normal get a set for under £300. Do you now have a set off wheels for dry and another for wet? Wet slicks will last 2 mins in the dry.

Sign in to follow this