• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Weight Reduction - The Next Level

smckeown
what with out bending them lol

you do know spooxs have done cf wings, I think they are over priced ut they have them

Yeah I won't be buying those, reduction per £ is too expensive. Plus my existing wing is already painted correct colour etc.

smckeown
I made ali replacements, if i finally get my digital camera back i will take a few pics.

That would be good, i intend to make my own using Ali too

Sean - that Mk1 Golf was driven :wacko: to one of the NR meets at Fleet Services a couple of months back and it looked to a layman totally unsafe. Massive amount of work and light as anything; I've never seen a car that stripped out before!

He got it down to 660kgs in the end, and shortly rolled it afterwards :huh:

johno_78
He got it down to 660kgs in the end, and shortly rolled it afterwards :wacko:

i just spent an hour reading that thread. took him a year to build it. i'm gutted for him.

there was remarkably little damage though, considering how much he cut out of the car. it shows how good a rollcage is.

i think some serious holesaw action will do you well, as you have a cage in place already.

johno_78

why holesaw the rear bumper? bin it altogether, if there are no sharp edges then it's legal for the road.

would a base model front valance be lighter as there is less of it? dont know what it would do to the aerodynamics, but possibly worth considering.

the complete removal of the dash and fitting a digital dash would also save several kg's too.

smckeown
why holesaw the rear bumper? bin it altogether, if there are no sharp edges then it's legal for the road.

Yeah I have tnought about this, i'll see what it looks like once it's off.

the complete removal of the dash and fitting a digital dash would also save several kg's too.

Have you not seen my dash...it's rather light :wacko: There's massive weight reduction getting rid of the dash and the gubbins underneath

Guest BrainFluid

Carbon fiber bonnet? Lower profile tyres? aluminium blanking that you could swop the headlights over with? urm...wear plimsoles? lol.

smckeown
Carbon fiber bonnet? Lower profile tyres? aluminium blanking that you could swop the headlights over with? urm...wear plimsoles? lol.

already got DF bonnet. Plan to remove lights with lightweight carcas.

Driving nude...hmmmm :wacko:

bales

Don't know whether this is at all practical, but a lot of the mini's at hillclimbs have drilled gearbox casings that must save a fair bit of weight or at least it looks like that anyway.

welshpug

dont know how that would work seeing as the engine shares the oil supply on an A series!

max0

fiberglass or plastic doors, wings, boot?

sonofsam
I've heard of guys drilling holes through the centre of every bolt.

Jarrod

Blimey, if your going to all that trouble you may aswell use anodised bolts like some motorbikes? or even Titanuim ones.Can get you little bit of sheet Ti if you want Sean :huh::wacko:

stu_woac

the glass doors dont save much more weight from drilling out the thick part out the door where the hinges are, I've found this to be the only heavy point of the door

also sean already got fg boot and the wings are to expensive for the weight saved

sean just thought about the back lights units motorsports parts sell fg blanks may be worth a look I know its more off the back

as they are blank you can make up your own lights with lighter units like led lights

just a idea

Edited by stu_woac

bales

It was the clutch bellhousing actually that was drilled, thinking about it drilling holes in the gearbox housing might not be the most sensible option :wacko: should really engage my brain before I type.

Guest BrainFluid

Ditch the Filter and housing in favour of a small in line one? Or get hold of a smaller battery like a motorbike one, tho the contacts on them are pretty small...I wonder if you can get smaller car batteries? replace the gear stick with titanium?

I take it that you already have a lighter flywheel?

urm, you could shave all your body hair off :wacko:

EDIT: How about a single wiper conversion? Also I cant see from your pics if you have a wiper on the back but I'm sure thats long gone is it? Or what about having a smaller window washer tank?

Edited by BrainFluid

stu_woac

can people read the specs b4 replying LOL

if you had you would already see sean has no need for a filter housing, already has a red top light weight battery and the back of the car is ploycarb window in a fibreglass skin of a boot

sorry about this but if you want the stage one of weight lost there is another thread this one is for what can be done to drop 10kg when most weight saving ideas are already in the car

Guest BrainFluid

Only trying to help.

Using a single wiper and reducing the size of the washer resoviour hold no merit then?

smckeown
reducing the size of the washer resoviour hold no merit then?

I'm thinking I can make a quick release braket and remove the washer bottle for track days. Got to be 1kg there with the water :wacko:

Guest BrainFluid

Also, could you shave some metal off the inside of the alloys?

EDIT: Have you thought about cutting your tank up and using half of it?

Edited by BrainFluid

Banjo

He's already done that BrainFluid.

What about alloy hubs? Alloy steering arms with little rose joints?

Turret the rear fit coilovers and scrap the torsion bars..

Grind down all the interior and only put 1 layer of paint on..

stu_woac
Only trying to help.

Using a single wiper and reducing the size of the washer resoviour hold no merit then?

i know but it seem silly to point out what has already been done,,

my single wiper is the same weight as the standard two it does give less drag in the up right position but thats about it and they dont seem to work well and it maybe comming back off the car

Edited by stu_woac

Guest BrainFluid

Okay.

Sticking with the drilling holes then...What about taking the wings off and doing that to the 'wall' behind the wing and putting the wing back on with as little gunk as possible?

stu_woac

the wings dont need gluing back down so there a weight saving point :)

welshpug

yeah, there was a good half inch on the wheelarch when i took my wing off.

Guest BrainFluid

Ha Har! At last :)

How about ditching the front and rear Tow eyes as well? They're well weak anyway...

EDIT: They are bolt on arent they?

Edited by BrainFluid

welshpug

gotta have them on a race car.

Sign in to follow this