• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPGTi

Wideband O2 Kit

SPGTi

Just being surfing the good old internet and stumbled across this

NGK Powerdex AFX - Air Fuel Ratio Monitor Kit - Wideband O2

This works out to around £150 shipped ;) with everything to install, no sourcing probes, bungs etc. Also iirc NGK were one of the first on the market with wideband lambda sensors. It also has an output to allow connection to dataloggers, ecus etc.

Anyone any thoughts , experience on this bit of kit ? Maybe a group buy ?

Steve

Bono

looks interesting, i would have said go for the innovate motorsports LC-1 kit, however the one i have has packed up so its pretty useless ;)

SPGTi
looks interesting, i would have said go for the innovate motorsports LC-1 kit, however the one i have has packed up so its pretty useless ;)

That is the one I have always looked at, but to get the same "kit" is £210+shipping so say£230, quite a bit more.

A guy on a top fuel drag forum ran both side by side in his drag car and said could see no difference in performance.

Steve

Bono

oh you can get the LC-1 cheaper in the uk, i think mine cost about £160.

SPGTi

Is that with the display though ?

Steve

Bono

no, thats just the Lc-1 and sensor

Rippthrough

145 on ebay, might be a touch cheaper from bill.shurvington for the guys he supllies with megasquirts IIRC. I just use the laptop for viewing, you can make any adjustments there and then, and log the run while you're at it.

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

Bono

my megasquirt does auto tuning, you just specify the AFR and it will alter fuelling till it gets that AFR.

That was the whole point of getting a wideband on the car permantly

pugrallye

NGK probes are normally VV wideband lol, so ideal for tuning/ mapping

Henry Yorke

Can something like this be mated onto a Motronic MP3.2 system from a 406 SRI? I am curious and paranoid about under fuelling on my CTI Turbo. It does run the standard lamda already, but I guess this is a narrow band?

Rippthrough
Can something like this be mated onto a Motronic MP3.2 system from a 406 SRI? I am curious and paranoid about under fuelling on my CTI Turbo. It does run the standard lamda already, but I guess this is a narrow band?

Easy henry. I've got one on my heap, and that injection system is much worse than yours. I'll fetch the laptop to the next meet and you can have a look if you like - piece of **** to fit really. Mines not so neat with the iring though, couldn't be arsed when I'm replacing the loom soon. ;)

Just come in from a logging session with mine actually, managed to get the afr from a constant 10 under full throttle to 12 (with a dip to 10 initally) by fiddling with the fuel regulator and the lambda sensor outputs, run out of adjustment now. Certainly steamrollered the flatspots it had low down, got it running a touch lean on low throttle openings too, save some fuel.

-Phillip

Edited by Rippthrough

Henry Yorke

Awesome.... That would be good. I have the full diagnostics port wired up on mine too so it should be plug and play :D

Sorry Steve for the thread hijack!! ;)

Rippthrough
Awesome.... That would be good. I have the full diagnostics port wired up on mine too so it should be plug and play :D

Sorry Steve for the thread hijack!! ;)

Just have to figure out how to undo it from my loom now :(

Some of the original loom on mine was shot when I attempted to splice it into the original plugs, so it ain't pretty :D

How far is your lamda sensor from the turbo? If it's too close the sensor might overheat, they're a lot more sensetive than narrowbands. You can use a heatsink to help though. Currently making one up out of copper, but I've got enough spare sheets to make another at the same time if you want one for when you get one?

Edited by Rippthrough

pugrallye

it is possible, but normally causes fuelling issues if used as the sole probe you can read signal with a multimeter anyway, so it will tell you if its out as ecu wont see past 1.03v yes your std probe is narrow band

Edited by pugrallye

Rippthrough
it is possible, but normally causes fuelling issues if used as the sole probe you can read signal with a multimeter anyway, so it will tell you if its out as ecu wont see past 1.03v yes your std probe is narrow band

The innovate one can output a narrow band signal, it has 2 fully programmable analog outputs.

Bono

what he said^^

(me too slow)

Edited by Bono

Rippthrough

Just a thought, but if it shows excessicely lean, are you walking home? :D

Don't need the diag. plug, can connect straight to the laptop, that way we can log a quick run around (sneaky way to get a ride in the skip :( ) and examine it after in the pub ;)

Edited by Rippthrough

SPGTi

The price is a bit more expensive, as ordering just off the net for 5 kits of the NGK one is £138 delivered. Compared with the Vemms at £140+vat+delivery.

I have no idea which is the best / most flexible kit as there is also this one to consider

PLX devices

which is £102 + delivery

or £143 + delivery with a standalone display.

It looks like the market just got a whole lot more competitive.

Steve

Bono

the PLx is cheap, however can you recalibrate it?

As the benefit of the innovate is you can recalibrate every thousand miles so it retains its accuracy.

SPGTi
the PLx is cheap, however can you recalibrate it?

As the benefit of the innovate is you can recalibrate every thousand miles so it retains its accuracy.

On the website it says it has self calibration. I presume this must work or else all the VWs running Bosch WB sensors would be a service nightmare.

Anyway PLX have a forum where any questions etc can be asked.

Steve

tom_m
The price is a bit more expensive, as ordering just off the net for 5 kits of the NGK one is £138 delivered. Compared with the Vemms at £140+vat+delivery.

I have no idea which is the best / most flexible kit as there is also this one to consider

PLX devices

which is £102 + delivery

or £143 + delivery with a standalone display.

It looks like the market just got a whole lot more competitive.

Steve

effectively tho the VEMS unit is half the price of the PLX one because you are getting an EGT too. to get the same from PLX would cost you an extra £200 because you'd need to get the EGT module, sensor, display controller and display too!

on a side note, i want one of these!!! :wacko:http://www.plxdevices.com/R-500_productinfo.htm

Edited by tom_m

SPGTi

I suppose it is whether EGT is seen as being necessary. Personally running NA I would be not too fussed but I suppose turbo applications would benefit more.

Steve

Rippthrough

If there's 3 or more wanting the innovate one (same as mine) we can get it for £135 delivered to the doorstep. The good thing about the innovate on is they already have a wide userbase and the technical support is great. You can also hook it up to a laptop for realtime logging, and it has two programmable analog outputs, so you can use it with a stock or an aftermarket ECU, and have a seperatly programmed output for a gauge.

more info on the innovate wideband here

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this