• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

Carb's

brianthemagical

i've heard stories of mi16's on carbs that spit flames out the exhast and sound minted. how is this done, along with any other carb characteristics. is it possible to do this to a 1.4 on a standard carb (tu3s in an ax gt). a friend is building a road rally car and we want it to sound awsome, the only thing we've done so far is fit the chav backbox that came with the car. thanks

Bono

i can get my car to spit flames and pop/crackle

On throttle bodiess with a standalone ecu its easy as you just find the zero load site and set ignition advance to 0 and up the fuel a bit.

Don't be boring jon :blush:

some of us want to pretend we have anti lag :o : http://media.putfile.com/Matt-2

Edited by Bono

hengti

joking aside :o

just get the exhaust really hot. you'd be nuts to manage it on anything other than a track day though

i've seen a few 205s doing it and have been told mine does too - no gizmos required (they sound fooking dangerous, those flamer kits!). doesn't need to be overfuelling either

Jonmurgie

Oh yeah, that reminds me of my track car a few years back at Brands:

flames.gif

Nothing special happening there other than the Lambo getting in my way!!

petert
On throttle bodiess with a standalone ecu its easy as you just find the zero load site and set ignition advance to 0 and up the fuel a bit.

seriously, that's how it's done intentionally to cool the exhaust valves on over run in a race engine. Give it a big dose in the 4000-8000 range, 0-5% load points.

brianthemagical

thanks for the help. i'm not a boy racer and don't want flamer kit, they do sound dangerous, there illegal and i don't like the idea of making my car look better than it is, but thanks anyway. i can't afford managment, it's for a road rally car so it needs to be pretty much standard. i think the carb ( for an ax gt) has overrun fuel cut off, might have to disble it. i think the exhaust might get qwutie hot, the driver is a nutter, lets hope something happens though, i want people to think we've got something special under the bonnet. thanks again.

Alastairh

Bloody hell matt, what ratio of rice crispys and optimax do you fuel your 306?

Bono

its good old supermarket 95ron :blush:

although morrisons near me is selling bio ethanol, which sounds rather potent :angry:

Guest smokinslim
i think the carb ( for an ax gt) has overrun fuel cut off, might have to disble it.

Just disconnect the wire attached to the back of the carb, works fine without. When i fitted my carb i found my loom had nothing to connect it to, and i couldn't be bothered working out where it should go. Depending on how the carb is tuned i often get popping sounds slowing down ready to change down. Nobodies mentioned any flames yet but i suppose it's possible.

I'd be interested to know what difference having the wire connected makes if you do try disconnecting it.

Edited by smokinslim

Guest CB-Dave

my 1.9 used to flame on the overrun when I first fitted my magnex exhaust with no other mods done... it had to be massive overrun tho (getting to about 110mph then lifting the throttle and coasting down to 90ish used to result in flames like jon's car up top (altho they used to lick around the side of the car on mine!)

stopped doing it after I played with the AFM and idle screw!

hodgy

my 205 does it some times on over run and i have a straight thru system but as far as carbs go my old polo used to flame and bang and all i did was turn the fuel mixture up, used to smell if you were driving behind me but was very fun!!

DaveW

its also good for removing tailgaters too :)

ecksstore

My van will bang like a shotgun and put a nice big flame out the back.

Once she is warm, give it a decent rev in any gear then lift off the throttle (still in gear, foot off the clutch)

Then turn the key to kill the engine, give the throttle a couple of pumps, flick the key back to the run position and kerboom one hell of a bang and flash out the back.

Wouldnt reccomend this method though, it cant be good for the old mule. I dont really give a damn if she blows or whatever.

Really good for scaring old ladies, small children, dogs, cats etc

:):P

Bono

banging off the key is cheating :)

maturin23

I blew my exhaust on my old Renault 5 after doing a few backfires using the above technique.

Used to study in Manchester back when it was Gunchester and l would let a few off going through Whalley Range/Moss Side - often used to get a few people instinctively going for their jacket pockets :)

Only now do I realise how stupid I was being!

ecksstore
banging off the key is cheating :rolleyes:

No way

All is fair in love and scaring the s*it out of people

:D

brianthemagical

thanks for the replys. as far as turning the engine off, it sounds like that would slow the car down and, as its for road rallying, won't be ideal. basically, i turn up the mixture a bit and wait till it gets hot, and something about using rice crispies? thanks for all the advice, the cars of the road at the mo but i'll try and post the results when i get it going.

d-9

do i bugger my economy by turning off the fuel cut in the interests of sounding really cool :P

best had :P

jonah
i don't like the idea of making my car look better than it is

i want people to think we've got something special under the bonnet.

Kind of a contradiction isn't it?

Frankly if you're looking to impress people with a phat exhaust and flames 'n stuff, the road rally fraternity isn't the right place to look. That kind of stuff just gives the sport a bad reputation. You'd be better off down your local cruise strip.

brianthemagical

i realise that is a bit of a contradiction, after you pointed it out, but what i mean is i don't want to use flamer kits that are added on, it's like putting on a spoiler, if your on a track and it helps with down forse then fair enough but whats the point on a road car (ie boy racers, not standard spoilers/ performance cars). with all due respect i'm not a chav and thing anyone (that i havn't met to confirm otherwise) that sits in a car park at night doing burnouts and the like is rather sad. as previously stated i don't want a flamer kit or the like, i want the car to do it on it's own, whic i imagened would be with it highly tuned or fettled, i'm not looking to impress people, only me and the driver are bothered what it's like. who said anything about phat exhausts? it's got a peco one on at the mo but thats because it came wiyh the car, i'm currently looking for a performance system. i don't plan on putting the sport into disrepute, we just really want to compete in our car. i'm a car enthusiast, not a boy racer, why else would i own a standard 1.9 GTi instead of a modified other car? rant over, no offence intended, it just anoys me when i'm associated with boy racer type peeps. thanks for reading all the way through.

Guest smokinslim

TU3S you say with a peco backbox, in that case get yourself a 4 branch manifold and a straight through center pipe from a 1.0/1.1, sounds fantastic compared with standard (even with the normal exhaust mani), goes better also. And whatever the engine decides to kick out doesn't get muffled part way through the system.

easypug
thanks for the replys. as far as turning the engine off, it sounds like that would slow the car down and, as its for road rallying, won't be ideal. basically, i turn up the mixture a bit and wait till it gets hot, and something about using rice crispies? thanks for all the advice, the cars of the road at the mo but i'll try and post the results when i get it going.

hahahahahaha, sorry couldn't help but laugh at that... then say i've laughed at it... :(

bales
i can get my car to spit flames and pop/crackle

Don't be boring jon :o

some of us want to pretend we have anti lag :) : http://media.putfile.com/Matt-2

I always thought that that was a bit of a myth and that the bangs are caused by the mixture being too weak on high rpm/low load sites, and the weak mixture passes straight through the engine misses the spark and then builds up in the exhaust. Supposedly if you richen it at these sites that gets rid of the pops and bangs, could be wrong though.

Bono

from my tuning attempts to perfect the 'bang'

i have discovered that less fuel means no constant banging, but it will bang on command by prodding the gas pedal, which i do in that video.

Increase the fuelling and it will crackle a bit like anti lag.

On overrun from 7k down to about 4k you get a whumpfh, then whoosing noise then another whumpf. This is the rather large flame starting then extinguishing, its not as noisy but looks cool at night

Sign in to follow this