• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTI-6Sam

205 8v Turbo Mod's

Henry Yorke

For chipping and Cat cams etc, your nearest place will be Gav Robinson in Ashbourne at www.thedervdoctor.co.uk . Gav (or Galv on here) has a nicely sorted 205 Mi16 on carbs as well and has been in the Peugeot Sport Official Owners Club for years now. He also turbo'd my 205 CTI with effectively all the bits from a 406 SRI so knows your engine.

On the subject of the PSOOC, there are Derbyshire group meets in Chesterfield which a few others from here attend too. www.psooc.com for more info on the group meets.

Edited by Henry Yorke

GTI-6Sam

Cheers Henry i will register soon as

jacobs53
i thought it was the amount of overlap that made NA cams unsuitable for turbo engines. when the exhaust valves are open at the same time as you inlets you just piss your boost out through them.

that statement is actually very incorrect. When you run overlap on a turbocharged engine, the exhaust gasses actually re-enter into the cylinder, causing comtamination in the fresh inlet charge, which results in a lower power output and high combustion temperatures. The reason that the exhaust gas re-enters is due to the exhaust pressure inside the manifold being greater than the inlet boost pressure, not the other way around.

The best combination - which is nearly impossible without major modification - is to develop a vvc operation on the camshafts. What you are trying to achieve is a little bit of overlap of the camshafts before the exhaust manifold pressure is greater than the inlet pressure, which again in this situation would be max. 3000rpm if not sooner.

Supercharged engines do run a small amount of overlap as it clears the combustion chambers of the exhaust gas, as the charge pressure is passed through.

With regards to the 2.0 8valve camshaft, its actually quite adequate to produce good power outputs. The lift is exactly the same as the 1.9gti cam (11.5mm) but the overlap is around .5 - 1 degree. The 1.9gti camshaft would have too much overlap and so would the late 115bhp 1.6 camshaft. But the early 1.6gti camshaft would actually be quite suitable, if i remember correctly it has 2 - 3 degrees of overlap.

The exhaust manifold is the main culprit that permits this engine producing good power, if a custom exhaust manifold was used on the standard turbo, I estimate that just under 200bhp could be achieved. More than 200bhp would require a slightly larger turbo and a replacement inlet manifold (if on a budget a 1.9gti manifold could be utilised, or even better a 2.0 NA citroen xm manifold)

In my own opinion these engines are seriously under-rated, peugeot intended these to be lazy engines with lots of torque at low engine speeds. A slight bit of modifying would produce a reliable 200bhp, which would be more than enough in a light 205.

cheers lee

GTI-6Sam

That was a good read

cheers mate

jacobs53

No problem, I actually rebuilt one of these engines which involved a complete strip down. And a few modifications along the way, including ported and polished cylinder head, 3 angle valve seats, fully balanced internals.

If you need any advice just drop us a PM.

Il be honest though 200bhp in a FWD car is quite hard to control without using a long ratio gearbox. Modifications can be done to the front of the vehicle to improve the downforce, but they don't really become effective till after 60mph (60mm H2O). Obvesiously you want to retain the torque levels of the engine, so that maximum accleration can be achieved, but you must strike a happy medium.

as i said earlier any questions drop us a line.

lee

Henry Yorke

I must admit, my CTI has been transformed since I put a longer ratio gearbox on it. Now you can control the power delivery instead of a mad scrabble!

TEKNOPUG

I'll second that

Hilgie

The 122bhp (DKZ) cam seems to do very good in the 2.0T engine. A bit more lift and duration, but no overlap (which is what you want on a turboed engine).

Several people have installed such a cam now, with very good results.

boeseturbo
The 122bhp (DKZ) cam seems to do very good in the 2.0T engine. A bit more lift and duration, but no overlap (which is what you want on a turboed engine).

Several people have installed such a cam now, with very good results.

hey hilgie,

can you give me a bit more informations?

Cheers

Hilgie

Nothing special really. There are 5 people having done this to an otherwise standard engine, and it feels more lively and delivers a bit more power. Lift and duration are a bit longer, but still hardly any overlap.

Sign in to follow this