• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

[engine_work] The Task Begins

pugpete1108

after trial fitting the tb's to the engine i wasn't happy with the spacings so i decided to cut the twin bodies in half and extend them so that they are exactly a match for the manifold.

probem is i forgot thet the spindles are made of brass and don't weld ;) twat! so i have had to come up with another way of extending them , fingers crossed it will work

will post som more when i get it done.

check out the butchered bodies :lol: :

pic 1

pic2

smighall

What ECU are you going to be using Pete?

B1ack_Mi16

Guess you could easy solder a piece of brass in between the spindle ends and that should work.

DrSarty
made some more progress on the TB'S today , between changing nappies and making bottles :D

Nice project dude - you're a braver man than I though doing all this whilst a newborn's in the house; it can be very tiring and you wanna be careful you don't do something silly.

By that I mean, cut a throttle-baby in half and extend the teet for the ECU with complete disregard - as a result of exhaustion - for the critical pre-detonation nappy timing.

:lol:

DrS :lol:

P.S. I'm currently refurbing my Mi's hydraulic lifters, and I think I'm busy! ;)

pugpete1108
By that I mean, cut a throttle-baby in half and extend the teet for the ECU with complete disregard - as a result of exhaustion - for the critical pre-detonation nappy timing.

B) very good

sean , i will be using an emerald ecu at some point ;):huh:

pugpete1108

right after a long long time (my boy is now two and havent touched the car sice he was born), i have got the project back underway and want to have it running by this summer (not driving but running,dont wanna set my sights too high :P )

after choosing totally the wrong plastic for the windows i decided to crack on with the tb's.

i have finished grinding the end ends of the manifold to match up with the tb's and got it painted, i have mounted the tps and now just need to fabricate a throttle linkage to fit in the middle of the tb's so as to operate them both from one cable.

i am thinking of using the original 8v cam machined down to clear the tb's, hopefully this will still give a smooth throttle feel?

anyway heres a couple of pics:

manifold:

IMG_0106.jpg

and with tb's fitted:

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

pugpete1108

with money being a little tight and still having to fix the poogered mgf i thought i would crack on with the throttle linkage for my bike bodies.

i have been toying with different ideas for this but finally came up with this.

similar to a certain well known tb manufacturer but at a tenth of the price (£80 odd for a linkage :lol: ).

they need a little tidying and a good lick of paint but i think they look rather swell :lol:

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

just had a look at the pics and suddenly thought that is gonna be real tight for space under the bonnet, but i should be able to cut the triangle brace down enough to clear.

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

can it not be mounted underneath?

pugpete1108
can it not be mounted underneath?

thinking about it yes and no, i am using the std throttle cable which i dont think will reach underneath- could be wrong though- and it would now mean flipping the spindle arms round which i cant do as i have welded them to the ends of the spindles. balls.

willhave to go and check the clearance and decide what to do from there, i thought it was all going too well B)

pugpete1108

just about ready to fire the baby up, after i've done a final wiring check to make sure i don't pop my ecu.

IMG_0001.jpg

have i plumbed the fuel in correctly?, i.e filter to the rail and return to the regulator? or is it the other way around?

IMG_0006.jpg

got the bodies fitted and the filter plate drilled... see what you mean rich about being scary to cut into it :mellow:

the inside is all wired up just need a seat or two:

IMG_0008.jpg

just a couple of questions with regards to the brown plug wiring (which i have just removed),i'm hoping that i'm correct in thinking i only need one wire from it (water temp guage iirc) and the other 2/3 are redundant in my application.? i have cut the blue/green wire and gone straight to the sensor and am not using the red or yellow ones.

IMG_0005.jpg

pugpete1108

after the depressing no show on the engine running front i decided to do something constructive to cheer myself up.

hence my little pug now looks like a car again (albeit a proper shed)

this is as shut as the bonnet going due to the angle of the tb's que big hole in the bonnet and silly but functional bonnet scoop:

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

i think i need some new shocks though as she's listing to the drivers side

Spiky

turn the back plate of the air filter upside down :)

04052009735.jpg

pugpete1108

good idea spikey cheers

i thought i better post on progress with the car seeing as i havent updated for a while.

as you probabally know the car now has a home (albeit a lock up garage) and the engine is now running :)

video

forgive the state of the bay as i have deliberatly left the wiring all over the place until i got it running, it will be tidied up soon.

there are a few small issues that need sorting; exhaust knocking the gearlinkage? rear coolant hose very near the manifold.

and the small fact that i have no rear beam and the car is on four axle stands.

i should be picking up the beam bits next week and have already prepped and painted all the beam parts (including hubs and backplates,torsion bars etc.) and will get some pics up soon. (big thanks to jimi for the beam tube i haven't forgot mate)

i picked up some braided hose for the fuel lines to be run in the car and just need some copper for the brake lines to be run inside also.

before i put the beam back on i am going to prep and paint the underfloor(not dropping the tank now as i just want it back on its wheels to get it out of the garage)

thats about it for now but i would just like to say a big thanks to anyone who has helped/advised me recently on different things and gave support when i was ready to throw in the towel (much to the wifes dissapointment :lol: )

cheers

pete

pugpete1108

one rebuilt beam, sweet.

my boy managed to sneak in the picture too after loosing most of my tools around the house :lol:

and i'm sure my missus will be happy to rid of the thing now.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq144/s...08/DSCF0229.jpg

just need to purchase new handbrake cables and the plumb in the brakes and bobs you uncle.

Edited by cybernck
Large image

Galifrey

Tidy looking beam ;)

Watching this project with interest :)

pugpete1108
Tidy looking beam :D

Watching this project with interest ;)

cheers :)

list of things still to do:

source new bodies (correct ones)

new windscreen

seats and harnesses

new front springs (waiting to collect)

sort the exhaust properly

air filter

fuellines in car

brake lines in car

tune the car enough for mot

source/fit rallye arches

source front bumper/valence

source new headlight (dropped it and it smashed)

get v5 back from the bloody dvla with the change of engine..grr

finnaly a whole heap of bodywork and a respray

it goes on and on.....

pugpete1108

got the manifold fitted today then realised i would need to lower the rad,i think this looks about right?

IMG_0046.jpg

also does anyone know what this plug is for? it goes on the rad on the cambelt end?

IMG_0047.jpg

list of things still to do:

source new bodies (correct ones)

new windscreen

seats and harnesses

new front springs (waiting to collect)

sort the exhaust properly

air filter

fuellines in car

brake lines in car

tune the car enough for mot

source/fit rallye arches

source front bumper/valence

source new headlight (dropped it and it smashed)

get v5 back from the bloody dvla with the change of engine..grr

finally a whole heap of bodywork and a respray

find and fit 2 base model doors with poly windows

source and fit seat sliders to the buckets

it goes on and on.....

DrSarty
also does anyone know what this plug is for? it goes on the rad on the cambelt end?

IMG_0047.jpg

Oh Pete! ;)

Possibly for the rad fan (thermo) switch in the end of the rad. You can see it in the pic.

:unsure:

welshpug

DrS got it, earlier cars have them as pictured, later they have them nearer the top hose.

pugpete1108
Oh Pete! :D

Possibly for the rad fan (thermo) switch in the end of the rad. You can see it in the pic.

:ph34r:

ha ha , i know where it goes i aint that silly :blush:

just wondering what it does? as i havent had it plugged since i fitted the engine its been running along with the fan at correct temp.

i was gonna cut it off if it does nothing.

pj838

Just a suggestion.. are you having your fuel filter next to the wing there? I had mine there initially but was worried about what would happen in a crash..

Good luck with getting it finished, I remember this thread from a while ago :(

pugpete1108
Just a suggestion.. are you having your fuel filter next to the wing there? I had mine there initially but was worried about what would happen in a crash..

Good luck with getting it finished, I remember this thread from a while ago B)

thanks i certainly need it, its been a while in the making (the joys of children).

tbh i hadn't really thought about the filter location? i suppose in its original position it is protected by the upright somewhat?

i am fitting an inertia switch for the fuel pump anyway so i might just fit it close to the filter?, that way even a small knock should take the fuel pump out.

thanks for bringing it up anyway. B)

Edited by pugpete1108

pugpete1108

a bit of an update:

i got my arse up to maplins today and brought the diodes and stuff for my tacho convertor.

applolgies for my rubbish soldering skills:

post-7077-1263485018_thumb.jpg

post-7077-1263485027_thumb.jpg

post-7077-1263485036_thumb.jpg

more pics to follow as i have just fitted my buckets and harnesses.

not much left to do now for the mot

pugpete1108

got some spare time today and fitted my custom lower water hose system and my slim fan.

CIMG0034.jpg

CIMG0035.jpg

and also got some tyres fitted to the two alloys i have actually finished painting:

CIMG0036.jpg

pugpete1108

seeing as it was raining today i thought i would take the oppourtunity to give her a wash (using rain water) and get some pics taken.

it will have all four wheels in white when the laqeur on the other two has dried properly.

CIMG0038.jpg

CIMG0039.jpg

CIMG0044.jpg

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0046.jpg

just a little bit of tidying up to do inside with some small wiring jobs to do, arches, screen and tiding on the outside and refit the front end and its pretty much sorted.