• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

[engine_work] The Task Begins

pugpete1108

i think i have finally found out how to put up pics so i can show you lot progress on my little prodject.

this was just after dropping the engine out ( without a hoist and on my own!!)

bay is now clean and ready for paint also removed the subframe for the same

hopefully more pics to come if this one is veiwable lol

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/pug...08/IMG_0014.jpg

edit; Please refresh your memory with regards to the requested image sizes for posting on the forum mentioned in Forum Rules & guidelines

Edited by pugtorque

smckeown

fair bit of rust there to deal with by the looks of it.

pugpete1108
fair bit of rust there to deal with by the looks of it.

not actually too bad most just suface , only had to cut a large hole behind the passenger light and replace,

the rest was just treated , also got some 2 pac bridge paint from a freind to paint the whole bay with ( apparently its got a 30 year guarentee , wee wil see :( )

steve@cornwall

Glad I'm not the only weirdo not to use a hoist!

pugpete1108

yeah i was gonna buy one but then thought whats the point??.

just dropped the car down onto a 4 wheel trolley and then lifted the car up and pulled the trolley out, easy

except i had a jack on 3 bits of 2 by 4 just to get the car high enough , quite scary!!

steve@cornwall
yeah i was gonna buy one but then thought whats the point??.

just dropped the car down onto a 4 wheel trolley and then lifted the car up and pulled the trolley out, easy

except i had a jack on 3 bits of 2 by 4 just to get the car high enough , quite scary!!

You wimped out and used a trolley :( just drag it!!!

pugpete1108
You wimped out and used a trolley :( just drag it!!!

yeah your right , when i put the mi in i will lift it by hand, sorry for being a p**sy :D

pugpete1108

one cleaned painted and rebuilt subframe , with polly arb and wishbone bushes.

already missing a part ( 2nd gear linkage) , but can remember what it looks like amongst all the other parts in a box doh!! :wacko:

pic

pugpete1108

just finshed removing as much metal and other usless bits from my doors as possible , and it appears to be quite substantial ( around 19.8 kg down to 10.4 kg each door) bearing in mind the only thing i have got to put back is plastic windows .

IMG_0005-1.jpg

on another note does anyone know how much the entire interior ( minus the dash ) weighs , as i forgot to weigh it before it got junked :angry:

smckeown
the only thing i have got to put back is plastic windows .

Don't forget unless your gonna hang your hand out the window, you also need something to open the door with :angry:

pugpete1108
Don't forget unless your gonna hang your hand out the window, you also need something to open the door with :angry:

yeah i was thinking of having a pull cord or something mounted close to the lock , but that shouldnt weigh too much , also gonna have an alu panel to cover the hole ( if it doesnt weight too much) , god i sound like i have an eating disorder of something :ph34r:

Jonmurgie

There is a weights topic by Sean floating about that has the details on what the window mechanism and door skin weigh...

No point at all putting in a piece of Alu to cover the panel, will probably be the same weight as what you've just cut out! I've left mine fully cut out and fitted a piece of wire rope along the door for the door pull and it works really well :angry: You can see a bit of it in this picture, can find a better one tomorrow: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/images/rebuild/large/pic2.jpg

smckeown

if your putting an ali sheet, make sure it's thin.

I use ABS Carbon effect sheet, will b e doing the same as this on my white 8v

driver_door.jpg

panel2.jpg

Edited by cybernck

pugpete1108
There is a weights topic by Sean floating about that has the details on what the window mechanism and door skin weigh...

No point at all putting in a piece of Alu to cover the panel, will probably be the same weight as what you've just cut out! I've left mine fully cut out and fitted a piece of wire rope along the door for the door pull and it works really well :angry: You can see a bit of it in this picture, can find a better one tomorrow: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/images/rebuild/large/pic2.jpg

i see what you mean, looks ok don't it? might use carbon as i really didn't want bare metal , but i might trim it back as far as i can and see how that looks

smkeown, did you make them windows or were they made for you? i found a company that did them but wanted £180 or so for them

pugpete1108

finished painting the bay and have decided that it doesn't look too bad after all after all form follows function as they say!

bay1.jpg

bay2.jpg

any comments , i am sure there will be! :rolleyes:

Guest Cartooner

Yep, it's not the right colour! :rolleyes:

pugpete1108

just thought i would get a few more pictures up of my gti6 conversion.

ran into a little problem fitting the crank sensor, when the engine is lined up per emerald instructions (120deg BTDC) there is no cut out on my gearbox (be1) , luckilly it falls just where the look through piont is so ia can see where to cut aknotch out for the sensor.

HPIM0126.jpg

other than that i have got the top end cleaned and repainted , and i think it looks rather swell :D .

just got to do the bottom end now and put it back together.

HPIM0123.jpg

bitchass 205

hey pete looking good!

Any chance you could rebuild and clean up my engine!!? :D

pugpete1108
hey pete looking good!

Any chance you could rebuild and clean up my engine!!? :D

yeah sure as long as you give me about a year to do it :)

cybernck

you're able to upload pics directly to the forum btw :D.

Butler

Whats the twist?

cybernck

lol, i added the subtitle to make it more interesting :D.

by "twist" i meant that it's more than just an engine swap.

max0

my mate forgot his hoist when we went to collect a 2.0 8v turbo engine, lucky this bad boy was there :D

post-7868-1161287935_thumb.jpg

post-7868-1161287958.jpg

pugpete1108
Christ that is a old Box!!

yeah i know , not sure how old though as it came with it but i ahve had no problems with it so it stays :huh: (till it goes pop at least).

i was kind of wondering what the twist was too and its my car :D:(:(

i take it you add the pictures are added it the section below titled add attachments :D